Beds on Diamond Princess

moki'smommy

Does anyone know whether the Diamond Princess has been outfitted with the new mattresses yet?

Hey, are the mattresses bad on this ship? Is this why the question?

Last time refurbished? Oh, no... I have a bad back!!!:eek:

Princess has been advertising that they are replacing the mattresses on all ships. We were on the Caribbean Princess a few months ago. My bed was "just OK", but the other bed in the cabin was horrible. We are booked on the Diamond in a few months, so I was just asking. My traveling companion has some medical issues and uses a special orthopedic mattress at home.

Interestingly, we asked for a mattress topper in advance and got an e-mail saying "ask stateroom host." We asked the host and were told that we should have requested one in advance. If I knew that the mattresses were the old ones, I'd bring along a "not too expensive" topper that we can use while on the ship and not take home if I can't cram it into a suitcase.

Maybe I should write princess and see what I can accomplish. Last year I was on Norwegian Star and the mattress was terrible. The cabin steward gave me a topper and then I sunk in it and had to struggle to get out of bed. It was a mess of a mess.

I will start early with princess and my request. I thought refurbished meant everything but apparently not. Send a message back after your cruise. I leave after you I believe.

Thanks

Worst beds we have ever slept on.....asked steward for mattress topper and it was so thin it might as well not been placed on the bed.

We were on Diamond in March.....definitely no new beds then.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know whether the Diamond Princess has been outfitted with the new mattresses yet?

Don't know if mattresses have been replaced or not (no past experience to compare it to), but we were on the Diamond 11 - 25 April in a mini-suite, and our bed was lovely. Pillows a wee bit soft for me, but not a deal breaker, that's for sure!

Well, it looks like the mattress condition varies depending on which cabin you have. Maybe getting a mini-suite you are paying for a good bed and those other cabin....well...not paying to have a good bed. This is appalling!! The person who went in March...bad bed....the person in April with the mini-suite a great bed. Huh...wonder what I will sleep on. I better start planning now and request a topper. I have not been on Princess since 2010...the bed was fine then....well no renovating since then I guess. Norwegian beds were terrible on my cruise last year, the topper just made it worst.

What do you guys do when you take those 25+ cruises with mattresses that are "old" "worn" and "abused"? Hum?

Thanks

Well, it looks like the mattress condition varies depending on which cabin you have. Maybe getting a mini-suite you are paying for a good bed and those other cabin....well...not paying to have a good bed. This is appalling!! The person who went in March...bad bed....the person in April with the mini-suite a great bed. Huh...wonder what I will sleep on. I better start planning now and request a topper. I have not been on Princess since 2010...the bed was fine then....well no renovating since then I guess. Norwegian beds were terrible on my cruise last year, the topper just made it worst.

What do you guys do when you take those 25+ cruises with mattresses that are "old" "worn" and "abused"? Hum?

Thanks

I was on Diamond last year no problems. Actually I have never had a problem with any beds on any lines. Maybe it's because I wear myself out on shore days and spend sea days catching up on sleep.

The reason for the inquiry is that my daughter has some medical issues. At home, she has a special orthopedic mattress. On the Caribbean Princess, the mattress was terrible, but we keep reading about the new luxury mattresses being installed fleet wide.

OK, this all makes my decision--I will purchase a decent but not overly expensive mattress topper to take along. If I can't cram it into the suitcase on the way home, it will get pitched. Usually the air can be smashed out and these things fit into relatively small spaces.

As to 25+ cruises...ours are on another line (only one Princess), and that line has wonderful mattresses....but their beds don't split into twins any more. I don't like sleeping on a couch bed or a bunk so daughter can have a real bed.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks

Appalling? Before you even get on the ship?

Spent time with a lot of people from all cabin classes, and I didn't hear one complaint about beds. Entertainment yes, beds, no.

Don't know if mattresses have been replaced or not (no past experience to compare it to), but we were on the Diamond 11 - 25 April in a mini-suite, and our bed was lovely. Pillows a wee bit soft for me, but not a deal breaker, that's for sure!

We could not agree more (It's like deja-vu, all over again). We were on the Singapore to Yokohama 11-25 April 2016 cruise (also mini-suite) and we found the exact thing. The bed was the best we have ever had on a cruise but you said it - the pillows were so soft we got lost in them. I don't know if the beds were new or not but we were very satisfied. Satisfaction, as we all know, is subjective.