Tortola/Virgin Gorda stops in early March - your experiences, please!

mlbcruiser

To those of you who have sailed in early March and whose ships were to stop at Tortola. . . . In past springs I've read about a number of cancelled excursions to Virgin Gorda and so forth due to high seas and/or winds at that time of year. We have always sailed at the END of March and although we always managed to make the ports, many times cruises just before our's have ended up cancelling some ports for those same reasons even at other destinations. Just wonder how many of you HAVE had your trips to Tortola and V.G. go well, and how many of you had those scrapped due to the various conditions of nature? Comments and experiences, please! Thanks for any replies.

Don't know if this will help, but we were on the HAL Zuiderdam this past April 9, and stopped at Tortola. I took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay for the day, and the weather was wonderful!! The kids did the ship's excursion to Virgin Gorda to see The Baths, and said that the weather there was great, as well! For several years during the 90's we went to the BVI every year at the end of March for "Spring Break". (Bunch of teachers!) However, we chartered a 30-passenger tall ship, and were able to anchor right off The Baths and take the launch in. The weather was always wonderful! Warm water, and a great walk up the hill to Mad Dog's to enjoy a Painkiller. (Or two, or eight...:D ) Yes, you might get some off-weather during this time, but to me, this is the best time for weather in the Caribbean!

Yes, late March is when we generally cruise, too, and by then we have always been able to put into port at the places where maybe in the previous weeks some ports have been missed. You know, the March saying, "In like a lion . . . I guess that is sometimes true in the caribbean,too. I'm SURE there were quite a number of missed ports about 2 years ago in early March and remember seeing Tortola mentioned a lot along w/Grand Cayman. Thanks for your reply!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, late March is when we generally cruise, too, and by then we have always been able to put into port at the places where maybe in the previous weeks some ports have been missed. You know, the March saying, "In like a lion . . . I guess that is sometimes true in the caribbean,too. I'm SURE there were quite a number of missed ports about 2 years ago in early March and remember seeing Tortola mentioned a lot along w/Grand Cayman. Thanks for your reply!

I will be cruising in April. Hope this season is not a problem with high seas. I have cruised in January before and have missed Grand Cayman for the same reasons.

Is April known for rough seas? A few in our group will not fair well with rough seas while on the ship.

denemke, you are a good person to ask. We can't decide whether to take the ferry over to Virgin Gorda ourselves or just go w/the ship's excursion. Someone on our roll call said the cost isn't that much different. I was wondering if maybe we'd have trouble getting off our ship in a timely manner and the ferry would be full when we got to it. (We aren't exactly the up at dawn types, but I might manage to be off the ship by 8:00 or 8:30 a.m.) Or if we'd run into problems getting back to Tortola in time. Sounds like you had plenty of time to explore more. We have done St. John both ways, and it's a pretty much a cinch to do on your own. How long does the ferry to V.G. take? Would you happen to remember about how much it cost? (I'm sure I can find it on these boards or a BVI board, but just thought you might know.) Where all does the trolley go and what does that usually cost? We DO like to do things on our own and usually book our own tours independently. Whaddayathink? Feel free to offer any other advice or recommendations for this port. Thanks!

Cruizincarnival, yes, I've heard of many ships not being able to stop at Grand Cayman, too. Luckily, we have always been able to. But 2 yrs. ago for 2 or 3 wks. right before our cruise (we went about the 3rd wk. of March), we learned there had been several ports cancelled by various ships where tendering was necessary. I think you are most likely to run into this during the winter mos. and right up until mid-March most of the time. But it CAN occur anytime. I bet by April you will be o.k. and this will very likely NOT occur.

Archived