Itinerary Help

We'll be in London for three full days. We'll arrive at our hotel in County Hall about 10:00am on a Thursday after a full night sleep at a Heathrow hotel.

This is what I have so far. Too much? Too little? Something I need to see that I haven't listed? Any advice welcome.. :)

Thursday

Big Ben

Westminster Abbey

Churchill War Rooms(maybe?)

HoHo tour

Friday

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

HMS Belfast

Borough Market

Saturday

Harrods (Mandatory-wife :o )

Thames River Cruise

London Eye

Sunday

Train to Southampton

Post cruise we'll be doing the Int'l Friends Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Windsor Castle tour.

Edited by Kenswing

On the Friday in the same vicinity as Borough Market is Shakespeare's Globe Theatre at Bankside you can easily walk to it 5-10 minutes depending on your speed.

From there it s a short distance to the Millenium Bridge by Tate Modern and you can walk across there to St Pauls Cathedral just across the river.

On the Friday in the same vicinity as Borough Market is Shakespeare's Globe Theatre at Bankside you can easily walk to it 5-10 minutes depending on your speed.

From there it s a short distance to the Millenium Bridge by Tate Modern and you can walk across there to St Pauls Cathedral just across the river.

You don't think that would be too much? I didn't realize that Shakespeare's Globe was so close. I think I'll add that one. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Why are you staying at LHR instead of going straight to your Central London hotel?

We had originally booked a hotel for three nights then our original flights got messed up. It worked out flight wise to come in a day earlier. By that time our original hotel didn't have any availability for the extra night. So we're just using points and staying at the Hilton at LHR. Our flight arrives late afternoon so we can relax, eat a nice dinner then get a fresh start the next morning. That's the plan anyway.. :)

Edited by Kenswing

I do not think you would have any difficulty as you have set things up, but you might want to consider a couple of other additional options if this is your first time to London.

Remember that Harrods will stay open at night until 9:00PM so you could do it late. Another possible evening would be the British Museum which I believe has late hrs on Fri. It is free and would take a lifetime to see but contains some of the worlds great items. As I like to point out the British were equal opportunity thiefs when the empire ruled the world. LOL.

If you enjoy theater there are generally 10-15 productions on at any time. You can prebuy if you have a specific show in mind or use the 1/2 price in Piccadilly to save some money.

Another thought is to find one of the free walking tours for part of one day to get an up close travel experience.

There are so many places where it is also just fun to stroll and soak up a little history.

Go into a pub one evening and just meet the locals.

Have fun.

I think your original itinerary is fine - adding any more would mean that you would be worn out I feel. Just regarding Saturday - get to Harrods as early as possible as it is gets especially busy at the weekends and you may have to fight your way through crowds, so the earlier the better. Then you can work your way back to the River cruise stops and London Eye which are near your hotel.

The Tower of London day will also be busy - you can spend hours at the Tower and also HMS Belfast (which is fascinating and recommended) - equally Borough Market. Incidentally the bus RV1 will take you from across the road at Borough Market straight to the London Eye/County Hall. It's route is Tower to Covent Garden stopping at Borough Market, London Eye, County Hall, Waterloo, Covent Garden and back. Very handy and sightseeing on the way!

You don't think that would be too much? I didn't realize that Shakespeare's Globe was so close. I think I'll add that one. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

As with all things it depends on how much time you wish to spend at each site, some people just want to go for a quick visit to say that they have seen it, other would want to stay for a longer more in depth visit. It also depends on how Much stamina you have and how much desire to fit it in. I can afford to take it easy in London as I live 35 miles away and can visit whenever, but my Australian Sister -in-Law wants to see as much as possible when she visits.

The Tower Bridge experience does not take too long, waiting for the lifts/elevators and photos take the most time.

St Pauls is only another 10 -15 minutes from the Globe, and the view from the bridge is great, they cleared a path so you look straight towards the dome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge,_London#/media/File%3ASt_Pauls_and_Millennium_Bridge_at_night.jpg

The British Museum is open until 20.30 on Fridays.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

Harrods is past its best these days, and overpriced as well. Harvey Nichols, and Liberty are much more interesting and if your wife is really into fashion, take her to the V & A. http://www.vam.ac.uk/

The current exhibition is on underwear- "the lingerie show that will take your breath away" (£12 admission) but the whole museum is an amazing collection of art, fashion, photography and more and it's free. There is also an excellent cafe and a shop that sells stuff you won't see anywhere else.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.. I'm off to work but will come back tonight and rework some things.

Since Harrods is open late I think we'll add that to Thursday and just hit it during our HoHo tour. Then add the British Museum to Saturday.

Thanks again for all the great tips..