Asian Explorer 2018

blizzardboy

We're thinking about the 15-day Asian Explorer Jan, 2018. Need feedback on this itinerary and the Volendam. The V'dam will have been through refurb by then, but I'm curious about this class of ship. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Dave

...I'm curious about this class of ship.

What in particular do you want to know about the Volendam?

She's an R-class ship, and as such is a medium size in the HAL family. She holds about 1400 passengers in a classic style.

If you could be more specific with your questions it would be easier to answer them.

Good morning Ruth. I'm concerned about the age/condition of the ship. It's reviews have not been glowing, but I was hoping to hear opinions from HAL regulars. It's due for dry dock Nov 2017 so it'll be freshened up, but they aren't making a lot of the upgrades on the R-class like they're doing on the larger ships. Our HAL experience has been on Vista and Signature class ships, but after looking at the deck plan, the smaller size is not a problem. I just don't want to pay a premium fare and be disappointed with the ship. Having no experience with SE Asia, I was also wondering about the itinerary in general, and also when compared to the Indonesian Explorer.

Edited by blizzardboy

Good morning Ruth. I'm concerned about the age/condition of the ship. It's reviews have not been glowing, but I was hoping to hear opinions from HAL regulars. It's due for dry dock Nov 2017 so it'll be freshened up, but they aren't making a lot of the upgrades on the R-class like they're doing on the larger ships. Our HAL experience has been on Vista and Signature class ships, but after looking at the deck plan, the smaller size is not a problem. I just don't want to pay a premium fare and be disappointed with the ship. Having no experience with SE Asia, I was also wondering about the itinerary in general, and also when compared to the Indonesian Explorer.

The Volendam is one of the best ships to be on, it's the nr. 1 choice for the crew, and Asia is fabulous to visit, you want to come back...

Good morning Ruth. I'm concerned about the age/condition of the ship. It's reviews have not been glowing, but I was hoping to hear opinions from HAL regulars.

I had a 39-day Asia/trans-Pacific cruise on the Volendam about a year ago, shortly after a dry dock. She was in fine condition.

There were no problems with the basic plumbing/air conditioning that I had, or heard of from others.

The Explorers Lounge had been completely reconfigured to be more of a meeting room/classroom. There was nothing attractive about it, and the décor was, at best, eclectic. I have heard, but never saw pictures to confirm, that this horrendous mistake was corrected in short order.

I would be thrilled to board her again as soon as I have time to pack. ;)