Is online check in mandatory?

mheinrich

To loxley. I do not think you are not delayed more than five seconds because you do not check-in online. If the carnival staff have to type all your info in they are not able to take care of anyone else until they do what you could have done at home on your computer. You might think you are not delayed but what about the five or six cruisers behind you that have to wait because you want to save money on ink. That sounds pretty selfish to me. HAPPY SAILING!!

Most ports will not even let you in the gate to get dropped off or park without showing ID and boarding pass, and you can't get a boarding pass without doing the online check in...

This is just not true, call carnival and ask. We have cruised multiple times with nothing but a passport and luggage.

I always check in for my own inconvenience as well as others so I agree with you about delays in line. I do however, wonder in this day and age why we don't also save "ink". The technology exists and can easily adopted by all cruise lines to scan boarding passes on smart phones or tablets just like the airlines do.

The OP poster said that he was responsible for booking 10 people from Mexico. I would ask him if everyone speaks English or if they are at the same location as he is--that might make a difference.

It's not a waste to use ink. Not everyone has a smartphone or a tablet. And I think it's safe to say you can access a printer fairly easily through free and public means.

And for a digitally driven as I am, I'm one that prints out everything. It's not a waste to me if I feel like I need it. Now I will print front and back to save paper, but I don't rely on electronic information exclusively. Nothing wrong with that if you do. Just a matter of preference. I check-in online, because it's very easy and I like having it done.

I think that not doing online check in and not having a Boarding Pass for non Priority Guests will be an issue. If you don't select a check-in time, then there's a good chance that you will be assigned a later one. If you plan on showing up towards the end, then fine. But if you show up before you're scheduled you may have a long wait outside in the elements.

It's just easier IMHO to do my online check in and print out one piece of paper. You don't need the others. If I have to worry about the cost of ink and paper for a single sheet, then I have much bigger problems in life.

In 2014, out of Galveston, I had a friend that didn't complete on-line check-in. They had separate lines for those with boarding passes and those without. So if they still do it this way, then you are not inconveniencing those that did check-in online. That being said....I dropped her off with the bags, parked, took the shuttle back, went thru security, got my sail and sign card, and waited ten to fifteen minutes for her. So it is more efficient to do online. I guess your answer will be is if you want/have to wait on your group to board. :D

I didn't notice if this changed. On the last cruise, I had a Diamond status friend in my cabin so I check in Priority Lounge.

Well than you for all your answers. That certainly cleared it up for me LOL

The phone call was an automated call from Carnival. My son got the first call and he's the one who said it was "mandatory." Shortly after I got a second call on my phone and it did not say mandatory. It was just a reminder automated call that said I hadn't done it and should go onto carnival.com to get it completed.

So the official answer (because I really did just want to know the answer) is no, it is not mandatory. I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. If you do not complete online check in, you should print your confirmation and bring that with you. That's what you'll show to get through security. As far as it taking long, he said no more than 5 minutes longer. They will have to verify your information (name, date of birth, etc.) and load your proof of citizenship. If you have a passport, it will scan so quick and easy. And I specifically asked about non us citizens, same answer...as long as they had the proper documentation.

Thank you everyone for you help.

If you are cruising out of one of the embarkation ports that have staggered check in (like Galveston), if you don't complete your online check in and select a check in time you will be assigned what ever is latest (2:00 to 2:30) by Carnival.

Anyone showing up at the cruise terminal without paperwork will have to wait until after 2pm to enter the terminal.

They are very strict about enforcing check in times.

Oh my, there is some very inaccurate information being posted on this thread and being presented as fact.

Checking in online is not mandatory. Believe it or not, there are still some folks out there without computers. While it is highly recommended to do the online check-in in order to expedite the time it takes to process you at the port, it is most definitely not mandatory.

Not sure where this information about manifests having to be presented days prior to sailing comes from but I have seen it before and it is simply not true. The manifest has to be finalize 90 minutes prior to departure. You can actually book a cruise for a same day departure assuming of course there are still staterooms available. You cannot simply show up at the port, you must call Carnival. This would not be possible if the manifest had to be submitted days ahead of time.

• Like 1

If you are cruising out of one of the embarkation ports that have staggered check in (like Galveston), if you don't complete your online check in and select a check in time you will be assigned what ever is latest (2:00 to 2:30) by Carnival.

Anyone showing up at the cruise terminal without paperwork will have to wait until after 2pm to enter the terminal.

They are very strict about enforcing check in times.

For all you know they all have carnival transfers and will be shown straight in to the terminal.

If you do online check in, they will email you your boarding pass. You don't have to print it, you can use your phone to show them. So I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't just go ahead and check in if they have the capabilities to do it. It may only take you 5 extra minutes but if everyone did it that way, it would end up taking a lot longer than 5 minutes. So if you have the ability to make it easier on yourself and everyone else, then why wouldn't you? I like to do things as efficiently as possible, but I realize not everyone feels that way.

Some people are giving you wrong information. Carnival does NOT have to submit a final manifest 48 - 72 hours or 12 hours before departure. They have to submit it 60 minutes prior to departure, which is why if you arrive 1 hour before departure you may not be allowed to board. Again, online check in is not mandatory but if you don't do it, it will take much longer to check in at the pier.

Due to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations for cruises departing from U.S. ports, all cruise lines are required to submit a final departure manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure

This is just not true, call carnival and ask. We have cruised multiple times with nothing but a passport and luggage.

Well, I originally said most terminals ask for boarding pass to enter at main gate, either self park or being dropped off. I guess I should have said that from the two that I have sailed out of, Jacksonville and Port Canaveral, we were told to have them ready when we got to the port, and the security at the gate came to the vehicle, and asked for ID and boarding pass. I will be sailing out of Charleston at the end of May, and according to the FAQ's, they will need to be shown to gain entry.. So, for these instance, it was true for me, they asked and I produced the documents. I had them, so I can't comment on what would have happened had I not... For the little amount of time it takes to do the online check in, why not go ahead and do it and have the documents...

140ep6v.jpg

Cruise lines have to a passenger list about 72 to 48 hours before departure for security clearance.

...and where did you get this information from? Last I checked it is 60 minutes.

You know, they do this stuff digitally via computers. The do not have people comparing one list to another. A human only gets involved if a passenger is flagged for a name match and such.

This 48-72 hour thing is a fallacy, yet keeps getting reported here. :confused:

...and where did you get this information from? Last I checked it is 60 minutes.

You know, they do this stuff digitally via computers. The do not have people comparing one list to another. A human only gets involved if a passenger is flagged for a name match and such.

This 48-72 hour thing is a fallacy, yet keeps getting reported here. :confused:

Yeah, a lot of things around here keep getting passed around as truth. And when you try to post the correct information they go into giddy fits. Because they KNOW and anyone that says no is misinformed or stupid.

I just can't figure out why they want to scare people with lies.

You HAVE to have this or that because they had to show it. No they didn't. The fact they had it makes needing it or not a moot point.

The first time I didn't have a boarding pass, it had flown out of my hands with a big gust of wind. I panicked. The lady at the door said no problem, let me see your passport. Look down the sheet and let me in. Now if I had always had a boarding pass, I would not know that now would I?

Oh my, there is some very inaccurate information being posted on this thread and being presented as fact.

Checking in online is not mandatory. Believe it or not, there are still some folks out there without computers. While it is highly recommended to do the online check-in in order to expedite the time it takes to process you at the port, it is most definitely not mandatory.

Not sure where this information about manifests having to be presented days prior to sailing comes from but I have seen it before and it is simply not true. The manifest has to be finalize 90 minutes prior to departure. You can actually book a cruise for a same day departure assuming of course there are still staterooms available. You cannot simply show up at the port, you must call Carnival. This would not be possible if the manifest had to be submitted days ahead of time.

Not even you are correct:

Online Check-In Advance Registration

Due to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations for cruises departing from U.S. ports, all cruise lines are required to submit a final departure manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure. As a result of this regulation, guests are required to provide us with check-in information prior to embarkation.

What should you do?

The easiest and most convenient way to provide this information is to complete your online registration process on each cruise line’s website at least three (3) days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation will be required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or they will be subject to denied boarding (no refunds will be provided).

Don’t Forget Proper ID:

In addition, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will no longer be accepting oral declarations to satisfy the requirements for identity and citizenship documentation. Guests must present the proper travel documentation at embarkation. For complete information on the required travel documentation, please visit the U.S. Government website (http://www.travel.state.gov.)

Edited by PoppyandNana

Not even you are correct:

Online Check-In Advance Registration

Due to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations for cruises departing from U.S. ports, all cruise lines are required to submit a final departure manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure. As a result of this regulation, guests are required to provide us with check-in information prior to embarkation.

What should you do?

The easiest and most convenient way to provide this information is to complete your online registration process on each cruise line’s website at least three (3) days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation will be required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or they will be subject to denied boarding (no refunds will be provided).

Don’t Forget Proper ID:

In addition, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will no longer be accepting oral declarations to satisfy the requirements for identity and citizenship documentation. Guests must present the proper travel documentation at embarkation. For complete information on the required travel documentation, please visit the U.S. Government website (http://www.travel.state.gov.)

Where was she wrong?

Where was she wrong?

Part of the confusion is that I can find authoritative websites that state the manifest must be submitted to A) Coast Guard or B) Homeland Security at least 72 or 48 hours or 90 or 60 minutes.

I suspect that if we were all to drill down to the actual written legislation none of us would be correct in some manner or another.

For me, sitting at my desk at home leisurely completing the check-in documentation is so far superior to trying to do it in a warehouse with 3000 other people jostling and confused. No computer? Go to the library.

I am a "he". ;)

And my error was in stating the final manifest had to be submitted 90 minutes prior to departure. It is actually 60. My bad. The rest of my post I stand by.

I don't think 90 is wrong. They are not going to wait until the absolute last minute to submit it I wouldn't think. What if the computers go down? I would personally have a buffet on something that had to be in before we could set sail.

I don't think 90 is wrong. They are not going to wait until the absolute last minute to submit it I wouldn't think. What if the computers go down? I would personally have a buffet on something that had to be in before we could set sail.

60 minutes is correct. The manifest to the AHJ's (authorities having jurisdiction) is to be submitted at 60 minutes before sailing. Passengers have to have been checked in at least 90 minutes before sailling.

The 48 and 72 hour rule were in fact the procedure at one time. I know a lot of this misinformation comes from people who Google something and grab the first item that sounds like it fits what they want it to fit. In fact, that particular article or search result could be three years old. You have to go beyond Google to the source, e.g. US Coast Guard websites and other maritime sources.

All you need is id and citizen ship papers. You know that clip board the lady at the door is holding, they will look you up.

You can not say this because I am assuming you always have a boarding pass so you are just assumed you had to have one.

True.

I have done this several times for various reasons.

I did not complete the fun pass and I did sail.

We walked up to the door and they found our names on the list and let us in.

It was not a big deal.

Edited by mzloolue

Well, I originally said most terminals ask for boarding pass to enter at main gate, either self park or being dropped off. I guess I should have said that from the two that I have sailed out of, Jacksonville and Port Canaveral, we were told to have them ready when we got to the port, and the security at the gate came to the vehicle, and asked for ID and boarding pass. I will be sailing out of Charleston at the end of May, and according to the FAQ's, they will need to be shown to gain entry.. So, for these instance, it was true for me, they asked and I produced the documents. I had them, so I can't comment on what would have happened had I not... For the little amount of time it takes to do the online check in, why not go ahead and do it and have the documents...

140ep6v.jpg

Like I said you are wrong. People are not required to use the Internet or own a computer to cruise with Carnival.