Advantages and disadvantages of a CVP

My DW wants to get a CVP, what do they do and what do they offer and do you recommend them and what has your experience been like? We already booked our cruise for next April.

They are like a travel agent that works directly for the cruise line. I'd rather have an independent travel agent.

I thought "Certified Vacation Planner" was just what Royal Caribbean called their telephone sales reps to make them sound more important / knowledgeable.

Yep. I think if you call RCCL everyone who answers the phone is a "CVP":rolleyes: But there are people over the years who've gotten the name and extension for one particular individual and like to think they're someone above and beyond the normal phone rep.:D

Edited by bouhunter

Yep. I think if you call RCCL everyone who answers the phone is a "CVP":rolleyes: But there are people over the years who've gotten the name and extension for one particular individual and like to think they're someone above and beyond the normal phone rep.:D

So this is like NCL's Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). NCL encourages you to use the same PCC when booking. The only thing I liked about him was when booking a second cruise he knew my preferences which made it a little easier to find a room.

Seems like a little harsh evaluation.

Never thought they were special, but we always liked our rep, as he was great to talk to. It may be a shock to some, but they are people, too- and are quite nice on top of that.

Our rep would always check for price drops as we pay- even went so far to cancel a booking- losing a deposit, as the savings was way more than the deposit. Something all of them should do, of course, but why not talk with the same person every time?

Given that he got a promotion, seems as if he was doing a really good job over most of the other agents. Worked for us.

Do you need one? No.

But if you find one that you get along with, and they solve all of your issues, nothing wrong with using the same person over and over again.

DW feels more comfortable in case we have questions or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Even if you book online through the RC website, you still can call up and ask questions and make changes.

Once you are booked, whether online, by phone, or through a travel agent - you can go into your booking on the website and make dining arrangements, beverage package purchases, shore excursion purchases etc. Or call them and ask questions about it.

I didn't realize you could ask for a CVP, we had ours call us. He gave us his name, phone number and email. He told us if we need help planning anything or any special needs or requests to call him so he can ensure it's taken care of. I like the idea of having someone to contact as I will have some special needs requests closer to sail date. Hubby is diabetic so need a couple things.

Edited by debandbruce

We've never cruised Royal before so it might make it a little easier, plus our C&A number won't stay in the system and my DW can't find the cruise care insurance so she's getting frustrated.

Have used the same CVP since 2008 and love her. I email her, call her, she emails me back, calls me back and generally makes certain I receive the best deal and service at time of booking and throughout the pre cruise period. She then checks after we complete cruise to make certain all went as planned.

Have tried TA's 2 times and both times it was a nightmare. Refuse to try a 3rd time. I will stay with my CVP as long as I sail. When we sailed Princess prior to 2008 I had one there and I also have a CVP at Celebrity. I do believe it is a personal choice and one must choose what is best for him/her.

My sister in law is a TA but doesn't want to take us because she wouldn't make a commission off of us.

Just curious why no commission if you booked with her. Would the cruise line not pay commission?