Heathrow to Southhampton transfers?

tammymacb

I'm playing with airfare (though mine isn't actually released yet) and it appears a lot of the flights leave Heathrow around noon.

We arrive in Southhampton at 0500 and per Princess's table, it suggests my earliest flight be at noon.

Is this a case where I should absolutely book a Princess transfer? Will this make it any more likely that I'll get to the airport and aboard my flight?

Thanks

I would. We've sailed out of southhampton several times now, and the princess transfer to heathrow was always very reliable and on time.

If you have a noon flight, I strongly suggest taking the princess transfer. If anything, it will ensure you get an early disembarkation so you can make hearthrow on time.

We have used the Princess transfer which I am the first to admit is seamless but expensive. We have used the National Coach several times which is excellent and quite inexpensive. They depart from LHR but it does require taking a taxi from the Southampton Coach Station to the pier or your hotel....which in most cases is about 10 GBP. That said its an easy walk if you are staying at some of the hotels around the West Quay Mall...particularly the Premier Inn.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Edited by Putterdude

Yes - this is one port that if there are only two of you traveling together, it pays to do the cruise line transfer busses. They have them organized like I've never seen before. They load you up sometimes based on terminal that you're going to, other times it's by when you get out with your luggage. It's quick, efficient and very hassle-free at the end of a great cruise.

We have used the Princess transfer which I am the first to admit is seamless but expensive. We have used the National Coach several times which is excellent and quite inexpensive. They depart from LHR but it does require taking a taxi from the Southampton Coach Station to the pier or your hotel....which in most cases is about 10 GBP. That said its an easy walk if you are staying at some of the hotels around the West Quay Mall...particularly the Premier Inn.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Putterdude, since you mentioned National Express Coach maybe you can answer a question for me. We have booked a transfer with them from Southampton to Heathrow and I understand that we will need to take a taxi from the port to the coach station. Our problem is that we will not have any GBP. Will the taxi accept payment by VISA and, if so, can we add the tip to the VISA charge?

We used the Princess transfer from Southhampton to LHR and I highly recommend it. The coach got us there quickly despite rain and rush hour traffic, in plenty of time to catch our late morning flight to O'Hare. You're spending on your cruise, just spend a little more and rest easy knowing you're in their hands. Good luck.

Edited by ChuckinSC

Putterdude, since you mentioned National Express Coach maybe you can answer a question for me. We have booked a transfer with them from Southampton to Heathrow and I understand that we will need to take a taxi from the port to the coach station. Our problem is that we will not have any GBP. Will the taxi accept payment by VISA and, if so, can we add the tip to the VISA charge?

Sorry, we have always paid in GBP so I have never looked for a VISA logo on a cab. May I suggest that you post your question on the Britain thread, there is one Southampton poster by the name of John Bull who I am certain will be able to give you a 100% answer.

I'm playing with airfare (though mine isn't actually released yet) and it appears a lot of the flights leave Heathrow around noon.

We arrive in Southhampton at 0500 and per Princess's table, it suggests my earliest flight be at noon.

Is this a case where I should absolutely book a Princess transfer? Will this make it any more likely that I'll get to the airport and aboard my flight?

Thanks

We have always booked Princess transfers R/T for LHR and Southampton before, and again next month. Very convenient for us since it is a (LHR) terminal to cruise) terminal pick-up/drop off, unlike the National Service bus. Princess requires and uses the flight schedules on cruise personalizer for coach assignment for you to make the flight.

Sorry, we have always paid in GBP so I have never looked for a VISA logo on a cab. May I suggest that you post your question on the Britain thread, there is one Southampton poster by the name of John Bull who I am certain will be able to give you a 100% answer.

Thank you Putterdude. I think I just solved my dilemma. We will be stopping in St. Peter Port prior to arriving in Southampton so we should be able to pick up a small amount of GBP from the ATM there.

Or, you could take a later flight and do an excursion that takes you from your ship to Heathrow via a stop or two. We are doing a private transfer/excursion that takes us to Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor before dropping us at our Heathrow Terminal with more than plenty of time prior to our 8:15 pm flight out.

It's up to you. But if you really do need that early flight out I would utilize the Princess transfer. While it is more expensive, if you are in a rush to get to the airport you'll get one of the earliest disembarkation times. Just hope your ship arrives in port on time to pull it all off.

Thank you Putterdude. I think I just solved my dilemma. We will be stopping in St. Peter Port prior to arriving in Southampton so we should be able to pick up a small amount of GBP from the ATM there.

Make sure they are GBP and not Guernsey Pounds, they are not accepted on the mainland.

They have their own currency a bit like Gibraltar.

Edited by CCFC

Took Princess transfers from Victoria (London) to Southampton on the front side of a Baltic cruise last summer and Southampton to LHR on the back side. There were some serious organizational problems at the Victoria Coach Station, like one woman booked on another cruise line getting on our bus only to find out the mistake upon a headcount -- no signs on the buses to indicate which cruise.

But in wonderful contrast the trip up to LHR went flawlessly and we arrived in plenty of time, too much really, for our flight.

I would book the same transfers if I were to do it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Not to rain on your parade....but ships don't always get to stop in St. Peter's Port due to weather and sea conditions, it's a tender port....we missed it in late August for these reasons.

Took Princess transfers from Victoria (London) to Southampton on the front side of a Baltic cruise last summer and Southampton to LHR on the back side. There were some serious organizational problems at the Victoria Coach Station, like one woman booked on another cruise line getting on our bus only to find out the mistake upon a headcount -- no signs on the buses to indicate which cruise.

But in wonderful contrast the trip up to LHR went flawlessly and we arrived in plenty of time, too much really, for our flight.

How did you find the Princess staff, or the right bus, at Victoria Coach Station? On the phone, they just said meeting time is 10am.

She was just giving the address of the station, but not where in the building to find the staff or the bus. Thanks.

How did you find the Princess staff, or the right bus, at Victoria Coach Station? On the phone, they just said meeting time is 10am.

She was just giving the address of the station, but not where in the building to find the staff or the bus. Thanks.

You will want to get there early because Victoria Station is huge. It is one of those places that is quite easy once you know what you are doing, but the first time or two it can be confusing.

I'll also add a vote for either a later flight and one of the private transfers that includes an excursion stop or taking the bus into London. Get theatre tickets that night and take the tube to Heathrow the next morning. Stay at a Premier Inn. The cost difference between transfers and National Coach will just about pay for your night.

I don't know what Princess charges, but on another line it was $70 per person for the transfer from either Victoria or Heathrow to the cruise terminal. We spent several days in London before the cruise, did an advance purchase National Coach booking for 4 GDP per person plus 5 GDP total for the taxi from the bus station to the terminal. Bottom line--it was about $20 to get the two of us from Victoria Station to the terminal! One of the few cruise bargains I've found.

Edited by moki'smommy

You will want to get there early because Victoria Station is huge. It is one of those places that is quite easy once you know what you are doing' date=' but the first time or two it can be confusing.

[/quote']

DrJohn999 posted that one woman booked on another cruise line getting on their bus only to find out the mistake upon a headcount -- no signs on the buses to indicate which cruise.

So I was wondering if there was no Princess staff at the station to guide passengers on which bay to go to since the bus may not have signs as, or the departure board does not indicate, "Princess Cruise".

Thanks

Victoria (Rail) Station is indeed large. The buses leave from Victoria Coach Station, which is adjacent to (across the street from) the south end of the rail station, and not so very large. Google shows this well. We stayed in London for 3 days pre-cruise, in a nice walk-up B&B hotel (Georgian House on St. Georges' Drive) just three blocks from the Coach Station. It's a good location due to the proximity to Victoria, with many restaurants, nice area for walks, and of course taxis, buses, and the tube easy accessible.

There was perhaps one actual Princess staff at the Coach Station, who directed us in the general direction of the coach gate for our bus. There, we found a number of contracted persons (i.e. not Princess staff) with lists from different cruise companies as well, and thus the confusion began.

The system to get persons on their buses consisted of calling out the bus time and gate number, but upon going outside there were quite a few possibilities for which bus to board. We paid attention, asked which, and had no problems, but as I said one woman going on another line's cruise managed to get on our bus and nearly left the station before it was discovered that there were one too many pax on the ride!

Both bus rides themselves were excellent. We sat close to the front on the way to Southampton and enjoyed the driver's commentary and answers to some of his passengers' questions. Embarkation was flawless in Southampton, for us through the Platinum queue. In our cabin probably less than 1/2 hour after exiting the bus.

Victoria (Rail) Station is indeed large. The buses leave from Victoria Coach Station, which is adjacent to (across the street from) the south end of the rail station, and not so very large. Google shows this well. We stayed in London for 3 days pre-cruise, in a nice walk-up B&B hotel (Georgian House on St. Georges' Drive) just three blocks from the Coach Station. It's a good location due to the proximity to Victoria, with many restaurants, nice area for walks, and of course taxis, buses, and the tube easy accessible.

There was perhaps one actual Princess staff at the Coach Station, who directed us in the general direction of the coach gate for our bus. There, we found a number of contracted persons (i.e. not Princess staff) with lists from different cruise companies as well, and thus the confusion began.

The system to get persons on their buses consisted of calling out the bus time and gate number, but upon going outside there were quite a few possibilities for which bus to board. We paid attention, asked which, and had no problems, but as I said one woman going on another line's cruise managed to get on our bus and nearly left the station before it was discovered that there were one too many pax on the ride!

Both bus rides themselves were excellent. We sat close to the front on the way to Southampton and enjoyed the driver's commentary and answers to some of his passengers' questions. Embarkation was flawless in Southampton, for us through the Platinum queue. In our cabin probably less than 1/2 hour after exiting the bus.

Thanks for your guidance.

Not to rain on your parade....but ships don't always get to stop in St. Peter's Port due to weather and sea conditions, it's a tender port....we missed it in late August for these reasons.

Good point! Well, maybe we will meet a nice British couple on board who will be willing to sell us ten or fifteen GBP :D

Thank you for that information CCFC. I was aware of Gibraltar but I didn't realize Guernsey had their own currency as well.

Most banks in St Peter Port, and certainly Lloyds - the last time I was there - have two ATM. One issues island bank notes, the other issues UK notes. They are clearly labelled to show which they dispense.

I'm in the same boat as "2theship" ;):)

I'm not sure I've ever used cruise line transfers either.....But I recently sailed into South Hampton, and I opted for the transfers.

Having never been there before, I figured that's the safest way to know I'll get to where I need to go. #2......Since I was going to be in England just long enough to get from the ship to LHR, I did not have any GBP's in my possession. Then you have to figure what is a good deal and what isn't (by converting GBP to USD)

So I paid for them with my booking, and I was done with it ! No further messing around with figuring all this out.

I read that it was 90-120 mins to get from S Hampton to LHR......It was a rainy Saturday I did the transfer for what it's worth, and I wanna say it only took like 75-80 mins.

Enjoy your cruise

Just off the Emerald in Southampton. FYI, they have a currency exchange machine onboard that will exchange currencies. Also, the cab we used from the ship to West Quay gladly accepted our Euros. Just ask before you get in.

We were told by a cab drive that if you want to have a cab that accepts credit cards you would need to call for one.