Service charge on beverage package

faymuiheng

Having sailed on NCL in Europe with the free drinks package there is no additional service charge.

Just like Celebrity you pay your daily gratuities which depends on what type of cabin you have booked.

There isn't an extra charge for the gratuity if you book in the UK. If you book in the US you do pay 18% on the value of the package, even if it is provided as a perk. So the "free" drink package costs Americans and Canadians about $95 per 7 day cruise. For drinkers, it is still a deal, but it is not truly "free".

There isn't an extra charge for the gratuity if you book in the UK. If you book in the US you do pay 18% on the value of the package, even if it is provided as a perk. So the "free" drink package costs Americans and Canadians about $95 per 7 day cruise. For drinkers, it is still a deal, but it is not truly "free".

It is my understanding that when you get the drink package as a perk, it includes the 18% gratuity, so it is free, even for those of us in the US.

It is my understanding that when you get the drink package as a perk, it includes the 18% gratuity, so it is free, even for those of us in the US.

I believe they are talking about the "free" beverage package on NCL.

Apparently if you receive this as a perk, you are responsible for the gratuities unless you are in the haven or a suite.

On Celebrity that is not the case, the drink package perk includes the gratuities.

There is so much else to do and see on a cruise that the drinks are just part of the experience instead of the stereotypical "drinking all day" that is the ONLY activity at an AI in Mexico or the DR.

I have to disagree with you. We go to Punta Cana every year and there is so much to do on the resort you can stay busy all day if you want. They have beach games all morning, pool games all afternoon, an endless beach to walk on, a huge property to walk, a sports complex, you can rent bikes, etc etc etc.

Now if you like to just relax and do nothing and have some drinks you can, but it is certainly not the ONLY activity at an AI in DR. We love it there which is why it is the only land vacation we take along with our many cruise trips each year.

Edited by karena1

Could someone please clarify for me, as I'm getting conflicting information. We have the premium beverage package booked, and I'm assuming that the gratuities is already included unless we tip additionally each time. Is this correct?

Reason why I'm asking, is that when I called celebrity direct , they gave me one answer and when my cousin called a few days later , she got the opposite answer.

Thanks

A 18% gratuity will automatically be added to the guest's bill for all beverage packages (except for Stateroom Bar Set Up packages).

A 18% gratuity will automatically be added to the guest's bill for all beverage packages (except for Stateroom Bar Set Up packages).

I'm beginning to think that "Celebrity Cruises" is not a "real" person as they can't possibly read the questions people have and answer them as a real person, more of a computer generated answer and most times it's a copy and paste job from the website (which half the time is wrong anyway)

The 18% gratuity is included in the price you are paying for your package.

It is not "added" to your bill at any point, it is paid for when you pay for your package.

So, if you purchase your package prior to your cruise, the price you pay for it is the WHOLE thing....18% included.

If you purchase it onboard same thing, you will not see an added charge for the 18% on your onboard account, you will see the price of the WHOLE thing 18% included.

If you receive the package as a perk....that's it, it cost you nothing more.

Having sailed on NCL in Europe with the free drinks package there is no additional service charge.

Just like Celebrity you pay your daily gratuities which depends on what type of cabin you have booked.

Not sure how long ago you cruised with NCL, but you are responsible for the 18% gratuity for the "free" beverage and for the "free specialty dining. In my opinion, this makes it anything but "free" which is why we came back to celebrity!

This bot needs to be retired. Bring back the human please!

Edited by Charles4515

Not sure how long ago you cruised with NCL, but you are responsible for the 18% gratuity for the "free" beverage and for the "free specialty dining. In my opinion, this makes it anything but "free" which is why we came back to celebrity!

Glenisla is from the UK, and for UK bookings the gratuity is not added on the NCL "free" beverage or dining package. My understanding is that the law doesn't allow the little "trick" NCL is playing with the word "free" with their packages. So she or he could have just booked a NCL cruise with a free beverage package and not pay any extra at all.

My understanding is that X does not charge a gratuity if the beverage package is a promo item, and it is truly at no additional cost, even to those of us who book in the US. If you purchase the beverage package from X, the gratuity is included in the sales price.