First timers

gamecockinnc

Hi,

I am taking our eldest son on back to back cruises to celebrate his Highschool graduation. We are cruising east and then west. We have a lot planned for the 2 weeks and thought since we have never been to Roatan we would have a beach day. Carnival has excursions packages that include unlimited chair lift rides, 2 chairs, a clam/shade, floating mat and even a 30 minute kayak option. But the reviews I have read have stated there are issues with the "clams" blocking the views and crowds. I checked the ports schedule and it seems it will only be the Glory and the NCL Getaway in port that day.

We are just looking for a beach day with chair rental, some shade, rental options such as floating mats maybe a kayak. And food and drinks options too. And we don't mind walking so the lift isn't necessary though I read it's pretty.

What do y'all suggest? What beach? What area? Days passes etc.? I don't want my son to be bored and I would like to relax too.

We have also considered Carnivals horse ride and swim excursion if anyone has done this.

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

If you are traveling with Carnival Mahogany Beach offer many options and shaded areas plus is a 10 minutes walk from the ship. In addition they have many non motorized water sports at affordable prices. Mahogany Bay Plaza is also a great shopping option if you are looking for some souvenirs. They also have a zip line and great F&B. Try the fry fish or the roasted chicken, both are finger licking good.

If you want a really nice beach take a taxi to West Bay Beach. Carnivals beach at Mahogany Bay isn't bad but it is basically man-made and provisioned so as to keep you and your money in their pocket.

I suggest that you spend a little time on YouTube searching West Bay Beach and Roatan snorkeling and anything else you find interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to make it a relaxing beach day there is no need to book anything ahead. Just go to Mahogany Beach. nice pretty walk, the chairlift looks cool, but I liked the walk. It was thru some gardens and was only about a quarter mile. There are kayaks etc to rent there if you want. Beach chairs are free. If you go to the left (facing the water) you can snorkel on the other side of the dock that's there. They rent snorkels, but you can bring your own too. Really nice snorkeling, but so many people were standing on the coral when we were there. I hope it stays nice.