Hal R2L: Seattle Gold Rush Cruise Tour August 16th

ron1946

We are booked on HAL's Cruise Tour R2L: Seattle Gold Rush starting August

16th. Would like some insight from anyone who has previously taken this tour: Seattle, Anchorage, 3 nites Denali, Fairbanks, 2 nites Dawson City, Whitehorse, 2 nites Skagway, embark Volendam in Skagway for four days, arriving in Vancouver and bus back to Seattle.

I am specifically looking for any excursions you participated in during the land portion and any other info/pointers/good and bad situations you experienced. Specifically in Denali, (doing the Tundra Wilderness Tour through HAL), Dawson City and Skagway since we will be spending extra days at these locations. But any excursions would be appreciated.

I "understand" that we can send one of our bags to the ship from Anchorage. Is that still in effect?

Pro's and Con's for restaurants? I know a lot has been discussed on this board, but still interested in any other comments/recommendations you may have.

Also, if anyone is taking this cruise/tour with us, would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

We took this trip last year...our third to the Yukon.

We signed up for Jeff King's Husky Homestead tour for the evening of our arrival in Denali so that the other days would be free. Highly recommended. The visitor's center also has sled dog demo which I also recommend but these are working dogs and Jeff's are Iditarod dogs. We have done rafting and of course, the TWT. The visitor's center has exhibits, hikes, a bookstore and place to eat. The Chalets have a new activity center this year. We have eaten at the Chalets, the Denali Princess nearby, and King Salmon across the street, all very good.

Fairbanks you will have one night and there is not much time. We have eaten at the Westmark which is ok and Lavelle's Bistro in the Marriott closer to the city center. Usually we grab a muffin and drink the coffee in the room for breakfast here. We did eat breakfast at The Crepery near the city center this year as they didn't have muffins in the snack shop.

Dawson City is my favorite. We have eaten at and recommend Klondike Kate's, Cheechako's Bake Shop, and Sourdough Joe's as well as Belinda's at the Westmark. Dawson City has a wonderful Park's Canada program with tours and programs, go to the visitor's center to get the information. There is a very nice museum, Jack London's Cabin, Robert Service Cabin, and very interesting cemetery within walking distance. (Boardwalks and dirt and mud if raining)

Husky Homestead is a locally owned business and will offer tours. We did Midnight Dome last year. This is a nice town to walk by the river and just wander around.

Whitehorse is a one night stop and although the Westmark hotel has been sold you will probably be staying there. It has the Klondike Rib and Salmon across the street which is excellent. If you have time take a city tour and the Schwatka river tour.

I love the Skagway overnight. You will take the White Pass railroad down the mountain into Skagway. You may want to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake on your free day. Download "Murray's Guide" to take with you. There is a National Park visitor's center with a ranger hike if you can sign up early. The visitor's center will have a map of hikes in the area. We have taken Yakutania Point, Smugglers Cove, Lower Dewey Lake, and Reid Falls. The Chilkoot Hike and Float was good. Breakfast at Sweet Tooth Cafe, snack at Glacial Smoothies, and lunch or dinner at Skagway Fish Company.

There is no downside except maybe the long bus ride from Dawson City to Whitehorse but your journey host will keep you entertained and you will have interesting stops along the way.

We were not able to send a suitcase direct to the ship so all luggage stayed with us. We packed a suitcase or land and one for the ship and had a small backpack size to carry with us for camera, binoculars, meds, snacks, rain gear, etc.

I went on Trip Advisor for a guide to places to eat and we were very happy.

Edited by oaktreerb

Thank you so much for your wealth of information. What month did you take your tour? How was the wildlife? Were you on Volendam out of Skagway? We are so looking forward to this trip!

Edited by ron1946

Last year we began in early June and we picked up the Volendam in Skagway on June 13. We did not do Seattle to Seattle. We did Anchorage to Vancouver. We have done the Yukon in June, July, and August.

You will see wildlife in Denali on the Tundra Tour. Actually, wildlife was not a focus for us but we did have a young moose walk across our path as we came out of our riverfront lodge at the Chalets. Of course, the next thing we looked for was the momma moose. Staff at the Chalets were on lookout for moose and a bear which had been seen around the site. HAL has shuttles constantly running as it is a large property.

On a drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake we did see a bear munching on dandelions right by the road....just exactly where Murray's Guide indicated a bear siting might occur. That was on a different trip.

One trip was across the Top of the World highway on the way to Dawson City from Tok by bus and we saw a herd of caribou. Last year on the Klondike Spirit on the Yukon we saw a Moose swimming across the Yukon River near the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon rivers. Someone spotted what they thought was a Moose in the water and we all gave our opinion as to is it or isn't it and it was! It swam right across in front of our boat and climbed out on the bank and watched us tourists sail by.

You never know. I would not have expected to see wildlife in the Yukon but you will see wildlife in Denali. Every trip is an adventure. You'll have a great time!

Last year we began in early June and we picked up the Volendam in Skagway on June 13. We did not do Seattle to Seattle. We did Anchorage to Vancouver. We have done the Yukon in June, July, and August.

Thanks again for your info. Our two inside passage cruises were in May, so was wondering how the weather in the Yukon will be in mid to late August?

We are fortunate to have a lady I went to High School with that is a park ranger in Denali. Not only will it be great to see her again (last time was graduation, 1964), but I am sure she will be a lot of help regarding what to do and where to go in Denali.

We are hoping since it will be late August that the animals will be out "chowing down" getting ready for hibernation/winter! Was the salmon run over by then (August)?

Appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Edited by ron1946

There are charts at Alaska tourism sites that provide information about Salmon runs. There is a fish ladder at the dock in Skagway at the Broadway dock, if I remember correctly. You will probably see salmon at Ketchikan's Creek Street.

It may be cool in the evenings as the days are getting shorter so be prepared to wear layers and have rain gear so that you can be out and about.

If you have a national park pass (like many seniors) take it to the front desk at the Chalets in Denali along with your proof of taking the TWT and you will receive a refund of the park entry fee. It could also come in handy at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau if you go independently.

Check out the national park website for Denali before you go. The more you know ahead of time, the less time you will waste wondering what to do. Your HAL journey host will be able to assist you but your friend, the park ranger, will be a wonderful resource. Be sure to let her know you are coming!

Edited by oaktreerb

There are charts at Alaska tourism sites that provide information about Salmon runs. There is a fish ladder at the dock in Skagway at the Broadway dock, if I remember correctly. You will probably see salmon at Ketchikan's Creek Street.

It may be cool in the evenings as the days are getting shorter so be prepared to wear layers and have rain gear so that you can be out and about.

If you have a national park pass (like many seniors) take it to the front desk at the Chalets in Denali along with your proof of taking the TWT and you will receive a refund of the park entry fee. It could also come in handy at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau if you go independently.

Check out the national park website for Denali before you go. The more you know ahead of time, the less time you will waste wondering what to do. Your HAL journey host will be able to assist you but your friend, the park ranger, will be a wonderful resource. Be sure to let her know you are coming!

Thanks Oaktreerb for the information. We are doing the same HAL tour on 6-29-16 as Ron but in the reverse direction. However, all your information would apply to us also including a possible refund of the Denali park entrance fee since we do have senior passes.

Dawson City is my favorite. Husky Homestead is a locally owned business and will offer tours. We did Midnight Dome last year. This is a nice town to walk by the river and just wander around.

We see that there are two times to do the Midnight Dome excursion. What time did you do your tour, 7:00pm or 8:30pm? Which is the best time in your opinion?

Thanks.

We see that there are two times to do the Midnight Dome excursion. What time did you do your tour, 7:00pm or 8:30pm? Which is the best time in your opinion?

Thanks.

Check on sunset times for the date you will be there. The view is amazing so you will want to get some good pictures. We scheduled this through the excursions desk when we got to the Westmark in Dawson City and managed to get the last two seats. I would say 7 might be better. The days will be getting shorter in August.

Check on sunset times for the date you will be there. The view is amazing so you will want to get some good pictures. We scheduled this through the excursions desk when we got to the Westmark in Dawson City and managed to get the last two seats. I would say 7 might be better. The days will be getting shorter in August.

We will be there on 7-5-16 a little earlier than Ron. We will check the sunset schedule for that date, thanks.

Thanks.

We are also interested in the Midnight Dome Excursion, but only day the excursion is being offered is on Aug 23rd, which is the same day we are supposed to do the Klondike Spirit. I have no time listed for the Klondike Spirit, so was wondering if it would interfere with the Midnight Dome Excursion?

According to the solar tables, sunset on August 23rd is at 10:02 PM, so it would seem if possible the later excursion would be best?:confused:

Oaktreerb: I know the food is quite expensive, especially since we will be buying up to three meals for quite a few days. It seems like we would have to take a lot of cash with us or take the chance of using credit cards. I realize this is the United States, but credit cards can be compromised at your local grocery store these days. :eek:

Do you recommend the of use credit cards, cash, cash with "replenishing at ATM's" or drive a small version of Brinks Armored Car! :D

For things to do in Denali, the park newsletter has info on ranger activities, exhibits, film, hikes, free sled dog demo, courtesy shuttle to Savage River, etc

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2016_interactive.pdf

And the Denali Chamber of Commerce is a good resource for restaurants, and things to do outside the park.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

If you want to get an idea of restaurant prices, look at the Princess Lodge web site ... their restaurant menus are current.

Oaktreerb: I know the food is quite expensive, especially since we will be buying up to three meals for quite a few days. It seems like we would have to take a lot of cash with us or take the chance of using credit cards. I realize this is the United States, but credit cards can be compromised at your local grocery store these days. :eek:

Do you recommend the of use credit cards, cash, cash with "replenishing at ATM's" or drive a small version of Brinks Armored Car! :D

We always use a credit card. Call your credit card company and tell them where you will be traveling and you shouldn't have any issues. People worry about foreign transaction fees but I have never seen that as an issue. We don't spend that much. When we get home we can see on our statement all of the places we ate and tally what we spent. The Canadian dollar is weak right now so that will work in your favor in the Yukon. We take two credit cards but try to use only one and the cards both have the chip technology.

We take enough cash for small purchases and for tips (which is no small amount, check the guidelines that HAL has on its website). You may receive Canadian in change if you use $ in Canada but you will have no problem using US$ in Canada. It's just easier to use a credit card and you can keep track of your expenditures that way.

We always use a credit card. Call your credit card company and tell them where you will be traveling and you shouldn't have any issues. People worry about foreign transaction fees but I have never seen that as an issue. We don't spend that much. When we get home we can see on our statement all of the places we ate and tally what we spent. The Canadian dollar is weak right now so that will work in your favor in the Yukon. We take two credit cards but try to use only one and the cards both have the chip technology.

We take enough cash for small purchases and for tips (which is no small amount, check the guidelines that HAL has on its website). You may receive Canadian in change if you use $ in Canada but you will have no problem using US$ in Canada. It's just easier to use a credit card and you can keep track of your expenditures that way.

Once again, thanks for the great information! The closer we get, the more excited we become, and probably the more questions will arise. You have been very patient and helpful to us, and I really do appreciate it! Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Dawson City is my favorite. We have eaten at and recommend Klondike Kate's, Cheechako's Bake Shop, and Sourdough Joe's as well as Belinda's at the Westmark. Dawson City has a wonderful Park's Canada program with tours and programs, go to the visitor's center to get the information. There is a very nice museum, Jack London's Cabin, Robert Service Cabin, and very interesting cemetery within walking distance. (Boardwalks and dirt and mud if raining)

Husky Homestead is a locally owned business and will offer tours. We did Midnight Dome last year. This is a nice town to walk by the river and just wander around.

QUOTE]

Oaktreerb: We would like to take the Midnight Dome tour when in Dawson City. I looked at the solar tables for the time we will be there, and sunset is scheduled for 10:02. Based on that time would you recommend the early tour or the later tour. Interested in getting some good pictures so which would be the better time? Thanks again for your information. We are becoming more and more excited as the time draws closer for us!

rajkr74:

I just read in my Mariner Newsletter that "Denali Square" is now open. This is a new phase of building in the McKinley Chalet area. You can google "Denali Square" to get the info on it. :)

rajkr74:

I just read in my Mariner Newsletter that "Denali Square" is now open. This is a new phase of building in the McKinley Chalet area. You can google "Denali Square" to get the info on it. :)

Ron,

Not sure if you saw the CC thread with pictures on Denali Square now open? Looks pretty nice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363388

Rick

Ron,

Not sure if you saw the CC thread with pictures on Denali Square now open? Looks pretty nice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363388

Rick

Yes I did Rick! Looks like a pretty nice addition. Of course the goal is to make money for HAL! Pretty soon you will be able to see it in person. Will be glad when that happens as we will be that much closer to our cruise/tour. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!