Just heard Uptown grill will be leaving the Breakaway

bjinouno

I too loved the Uptown Grill as an un crowded open air complimentary alternative to the very crowded garden cafe. I especially appreciated the non-beef burgers and salads. I think the worst hing about this change will be even more people trying to eat at the buffet which was designed to hold far too few people given the size of the ship. More and more unhappy cruisers isn't going to boost NCL profits if it leads more people to go to other alternatives.

Do NOT tease me with a Dunkin on board =D

Only if you can use your DD Gift Card to pay, right :p Just poking fun :rolleyes: by injecting a sense of humor.

I am not going to spend $2+ per donut and 18% extra for a mouthful of sugar-coated dough, there's plenty of sweets onboard ... including pastries at breakfast time in the buffet.

We're down at the Jersey shores this weekend - Margaritaville @AC's Resort has live entertainment on weekends as part of the dining experience on land, that's not likely to happen at sea - without more $$

One of my niece and her family are on the Getaway now - cruising at sea today - will learn soon enough if they see or hear of any changes.

Just catching up on this thread. So sad. There's goes the unique free venues on both those ships.

The burgers at Uptown grill are really good. They're huge and had just right amount of spices. We could order them without a bun and have plenty for a quick lunch. Uptown was supposedly there for a more NY food expereince.

Before the Flamingo grill who knew I liked yucca? Flamingo gave the GA a Miami flavor. We make sure we had lunch there a least a couple of times.

I'll be on the GA in November, for the 3rd time. My SIL is going with us and was looking forward to the Flamingo, based on my and my DW comments. She's been on the Escape with us, so now there's they'll be nothing new. Margaritaville was mostly empty the both times we've been on Escape. We've never been impressed with the food on land, much less pay for it on a cruise ship. Now we can pay for average food with no atmosphere on 3 ships.

I thought having different venues on the different ships was real plus. This is especially true, given the food is really good in both of the venues they're replacing. I guess we're paying for a bad contract that NCL made. So sad.

Just catching up on this thread. So sad. There's goes the unique free venues on both those ships.

The burgers at Uptown grill are really good. They're huge and had just right amount of spices. We could order them without a bun and have plenty for a quick lunch. Uptown was supposedly there for a more NY food expereince.

Before the Flamingo grill who knew I liked yucca? Flamingo gave the GA a Miami flavor. We make sure we had lunch there a least a couple of times.

I'll be on the GA in November, for the 3rd time. My SIL is going with us and was looking forward to the Flamingo, based on my and my DW comments. She's been on the Escape with us, so now there's they'll be nothing new. Margaritaville was mostly empty the both times we've been on Escape. We've never been impressed with the food on land, much less pay for it on a cruise ship. Now we can pay for average food with no atmosphere on 3 ships.

I thought having different venues on the different ships was real plus. This is especially true, given the food is really good in both of the venues they're replacing. I guess we're paying for a bad contract that NCL made. So sad.

The contract/venue was great when it was free. According to NCL they had to start charging a fee for Margaritaville to tame down the crowds.

The contract/venue was great when it was free. According to NCL they had to start charging a fee for Margaritaville to tame down the crowds.

Exactly. Don't people remember the livid complaints from people because there were 2 hour waits for lunch? Well, NCL apparently solved that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly. Don't people remember the livid complaints from people because there were 2 hour waits for lunch? Well, NCL apparently solved that problem.

An inelegant solution, at best.

An inelegant solution, at best.

Agreed. I've mentioned before that I thought a $5 cover would have been a better balance. Maybe not. People love to complain about problems but rarely does anyone offer their own solution.

Agreed. I've mentioned before that I thought a $5 cover would have been a better balance. Maybe not. People love to complain about problems but rarely does anyone offer their own solution.

Same solution I proposed.

I won't be rewarding NCL for their decision by spending money at this venue.

Same solution I proposed.

I won't be rewarding NCL for their decision by spending money at this venue.

Me neither, but since I got a free 4-day SDP, I'll use one of my meals there for lunch. We're not interested in more than 2 specialty dinners this cruise. (The other will be lunch at Pincho Tapas).

Edited by LrgPizza

Just got home yesterday from our Breakaway cruise. We were disappointed that there were no cannoli at Carlo's. They said it was their last week open so they only sold cupcakes and gelato. [emoji853]

Ok.... Hold up, Carlos is closing and changing too??

Anyone have what plans this holds for the future? There goes our Italian pastry treats. I hope they replace it with another Italian Bakery of some kind. Celebrity or not.

Ok.... Hold up, Carlos is closing and changing too??

Anyone have what plans this holds for the future? There goes our Italian pastry treats. I hope they replace it with another Italian Bakery of some kind. Celebrity or not.

I'd like to know also! I have not heard that it was closing... What a(nother) bummer!

Ok.... Carlos is closing and changing too??

There goes our Italian pastry treats. I hope they replace it with another Italian Bakery of some kind. Celebrity or not.

Bye - not going to miss "frozen" dessert in refrigeration with premium pricing, too bad - one less convenient option to be offered or choose from ... until, something else come along. Never saw much foot traffic everytime we walked by - lots of items behind the glass enclosures, while we're onboard so probably not generating extra revenue for the cruise line.

** News of all of the Carlo's being phrased out or closing had been reported here on CC earlier, just do a search & You should see it.

Being from NYC, we have plenty of choices for freshly baked & prepared pastries, Italiano or otherwise ... there's :p Junior's from Brooklyn, Ellen's Special Cheesecake (since 1975) and our favorite, and, Veniero's Pasticceria & Caffé (est. 1894) in the East Village, etc. in addition to La Cheesecake nearest to us.

For our convenience - maybe a franchise licensee to sell Krispy Kreme with a markup + the fees.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Carlo's name has changed to The Bake Shop on the Deck Plans for the Breakaway.

Also, Uptown Grill is still shown on the Deck Plans. Anymore news about this venue closing or changing names? It's been quite so maybe they decided to leave as is? I sure hope so!

I'm not too concerned about the changes in the long term. In the short term, it's a downer, though.

But, there's good news. NCL doesn't stick with anything that costs them for long. It doesn't matter whether it's celebrity chef's, or cartoon character's. So, Carlo's was a natural to go. NCL will have their own version.

I don't know the length of the Margaritaville contract, but I bet it won't be renewed either. It's just not how they seem to be doing business.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

They went from having deli type sandwiches to burgers at the Uptown which was fine, but this i a Jack Del Rio thing to try and squeeze a few more $ out of people who are by the pool and hungry.

For the rest of you bickering, you need to develop some thick skin.

I'm not too concerned about the changes in the long term. In the short term, it's a downer, though.

But, there's good news. NCL doesn't stick with anything that costs them for long. It doesn't matter whether it's celebrity chef's, or cartoon character's. So, Carlo's was a natural to go. NCL will have their own version.

I don't know the length of the Margaritaville contract, but I bet it won't be renewed either. It's just not how they seem to be doing business.

Yes, but now when the contract for Margaritaville expires, they can replace it with a no-frills replica, but still charge money for the food like before. (Like boiling a frog in a pot of water.)

Was Uptown Grill a fairly recent addition to the Breakaway? We sailed the Inaugural sailing when it first came to NY and I remember no such restaurant. Guessing it was something added later?

Pretty sure always there from the start

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Was Uptown Grill a fairly recent addition to the Breakaway? We sailed the Inaugural sailing when it first came to NY and I remember no such restaurant. Guessing it was something added later?

It was always there from day 1.

We sailed inaugural in June, and it was there. Sorry you missed it, it is/was a good place.

Safe sailing

Uptown Bar and Grill was there on all our BA cruises since 2013.

Great for both breakfast and lunch and very close/convenient to Spice H2O.

P.S. If it's changed to something called Margaritaville (sp?) then I'm out. Sorry.

Edited by meatball_nyc