Voom on my Liberty May 8 cruise. Excited about having great Internet speeds.

I just added Voom Internet on my 7 day May 8 cruise for only $64!

I had Voom during a BCE med cruise and crossing on the the Allure for 19 days and it was just like being at home. Ping rates of 276 ms, 25 meg download. Life was good.

You will find me camping out at the Diamond lounge with my iPad Pro, Madcatz controller and playing World of Tanks Blitz. Might even take my PS4!

I don't see any discount on our 15 night TA cruise this Thursday on the new Jewel that just returned from dry dock.

Some discount would be nice versus paying $20 per day times 15 days. We are D+, so I think we each get (2) 24-hours of free internet that means 4 total free days, but not sure if it can be combined and taken off the 15 day price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ping rates of 276 ms, 25 meg download. Life was good.

Be prepared for much lower speeds - it is very unlikely you will get that on Liberty. It might be marketed as Voom, but without the real Voom hardware you will not have a real Voom like experience.

I had Voom during a BCE med cruise and crossing on the the Allure for 19 days and it was just like being at home. Ping rates of 276 ms, 25 meg download. Life was good.

You will find me camping out at the Diamond lounge with my iPad Pro, Madcatz controller and playing World of Tanks Blitz. Might even take my PS4!

Unless you were offered a deeper discount than we were (30%), that is not for the faster, unlimited internet that includes streaming. There are 2 different packages. Make sure it's titled Unlimited Surf & Streaming, otherwise you are getting the "light Voom" which is just for reading emails and cruise critic.

Wow.....You sound like a real social butterfly. Why not just sit at home and play on the Internet or with your ps4. I guess, each to his own.

Unless you were offered a deeper discount than we were (30%), that is not for the faster, unlimited internet that includes streaming. There are 2 different packages. Make sure it's titled Unlimited Surf & Streaming, otherwise you are getting the "light Voom" which is just for reading emails and cruise critic.

its being advertised as the fastest Internet at sea. So unless the add is misleading I'm expecting the fast Voom. The Liberty just came out of dry dock in Feb and when I boarded the ship for two weeks Feb 14 I was expecting Voom only to be disappointed with the usual horrible slow Internet. At that time I was told in June, but I guess they rolled it out earlier which is fantastic.

I'm on the May 8 Liberty cruise too and saw the internet packages yesterday, but I don't think Liberty actually has VOOM yet.

I think they've changed the Cruise Planner to a one-size-fits-all selection of VOOM packages even though many ships don't have it yet. (I'm hoping I'm wrong to be suspicious about this, so if anyone knows that Liberty actually does have VOOM, please correct me!:o)

Judy

I'm on the May 8 Liberty cruise too and saw the internet packages yesterday, but I don't think Liberty actually has VOOM yet.

I think they've changed the Cruise Planner to a one-size-fits-all selection of VOOM packages even though many ships don't have it yet. (I'm hoping I'm wrong to be suspicious about this, so if anyone knows that Liberty actually does have VOOM, please correct me!:o)

Judy

You are not wrong. Not only does it not have real Voom, the Boomerang slide is still a work in progress. RCI might market a lot of stuff to sell cabins (and WiFi packages), but the reality on the ship could be something else.:cool:

its being advertised as the fastest Internet at sea. So unless the add is misleading I'm expecting the fast Voom.

Like the perpetual BOGO pricing of cabins, it's not really misleading. They want you to assume that Voom on one ship is like on others, but they don't advertise any actual speeds.So all Internet on all ships could be branded as Voom, when in reality, only six ships have the Voom that people really expect/want. You just need to be an informed consumer and be ready for the marketing ploys:cool:

Nice to hear that RCCL had now installed the Voom internet service aboard the Liberty of the Seas. I had utilized the Voom service aboard the Oasis last fall. It is real F-A-S-T.:)

Has not been installed yet. They are hoping to have it next month. We are waiting to board now and will update later.

Nice to hear that RCCL had now installed the Voom internet service aboard the Liberty of the Seas. I had utilized the Voom service aboard the Oasis last fall. It is real F-A-S-T.:)

We just got off the Liberty last Sunday. NO VOOM YET. Earliest is in the June Time Frame. Installation of required hardware on the ship has not begun. Current internet is adequate for email and text operations not photos, streaming etc.

BOOMERANG Slide is closed and they are not working on it. I think that they miscalculated in the design. I would expect a re-engineering of this slide, substantial land testing and then implementation on the ship. Might require new sections.

Typhoon and Cyclone slides are complete, operational and very cool. Best 20 seconds of your life.

Diamond Lounge Patio is closed. Engineering company finishing upgrades and painting is using this as a break area.

We just got off the Liberty last Sunday. NO VOOM YET. Earliest is in the June Time Frame. Installation of required hardware on the ship has not begun. Current internet is adequate for email and text operations not photos, streaming etc....

Thanks for the Voom update. This will be disappointing to those who think they are purchasing Voom on the website now.

I was just on the Liberty this past Feb post dry dock and was expecting Voom. But, NOOOOooooo. Found this instead...

Yep! Same old dial up speeds. Feb 7, 2016 right after the new dry dock and millions spent. Grrr! I read on the Internet Liberty was suppose to get Voom Internet. Not true. 31 kB/s download. 7.0 kB/s upload. 755 ms ping rate!

Forget onboard streaming, gaming or Utube.

It's the same old high orbit satellite I've experienced on most tired technology cruise ships. At least I get this slow dial up speed since I have a router right outside my cabin.

Hey RCL! We want our fast Voom now! Maybe you should ask for some money back from the folks who charged you millions for all this upgrade and forgot about the techie folks who cruise RCL.

BTW, RCL is my favorite cruise line since Diamond plus is still allowed in the Suite lounge. That's a real plus. I do enjoy free drinks in the Suite lounge. Best perk in the industry and I know since I'm top tier with most cruise lines. It's just I was expecting Voom and I'm so disappointed it's not on the ship I just need to vent.

One last note. Diamond Plus gets a $80 discount so the week was only $60 so maybe I shouldn't complain. That's really cheap for unlimited Internet service compared to most cruise lines.

Update. This was a post from my FEB cruise. D+ got the boot from the SL.

Edited by serialcruiser48
Updated D+ boot from SL.

DD is thinking she might need to check her e-mail for business purposes just a couple of times while on our May 1 cruise on Liberty. Is there a Business Center where she could log into a computer and check her e-mail for a per minute charge? If so, does anyone know what the per minute cost is? She didn't want to bring her lap top and really doesn't think she'll need one of the internet packages.

Yes it's the best.

DD is thinking she might need to check her e-mail for business purposes just a couple of times while on our May 1 cruise on Liberty. Is there a Business Center where she could log into a computer and check her e-mail for a per minute charge? If so, does anyone know what the per minute cost is? She didn't want to bring her lap top and really doesn't think she'll need one of the internet packages.

There are no more "per minute" plans. Least amount of time you can buy is one 24 hour period.

Is YOUTUBE even watchable on a device on Liberty? My daughter doesn't post on it but loves to just view the videos!

Depends on your definition of watchable. It might work but will likely have lots of drop outs, freezes and stutters.

Went ahead and purchased the single device internet package for daughter to use to read/send some work related e-mails during the cruise. Only paid $9.99 per day with the advanced purchase idscount. RCI is marketing it as a VOOM package though and both of the RCI reps I spoke with were saying that VOOM should be working by our May 1 sailing date. Fortunately, we didn't care about the streaming or watching videos/Netflix/YouTube/etc. and didn't pay extra for those services. So, we won't feel ripped off to get on board Sunday and find out that the service we paid for isn't available. I agree with the previous poster who said RCI should give some sort of credit to those passengers who did pay the higher prices based on the marketing and RCI's website only to find out after the fact that they aren't going to get what they paid for.