San Juan Puerto Rico

Hi, I need your expert advice. Although we visited San Juan for a few hours last month we did not see enough to know where we might like to stay on our next cruise leaving from San Juan.

What airport do you fly into from the US. While we don't want to stay in Old San Juan we don't want to be very far from the cruise port. Please tell me what areas would be nice to stay in, beaches, hotels, shopping and entertainment wise. We don't want to be in a secluded area with only the hotel for entertainment.

Also, how did you get around. Did you rent a car or take cabs everywhere. If you rented a car is the driving easy or difficult.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I need your expert advice. Although we visited San Juan for a few hours last month we did not see enough to know where we might like to stay on our next cruise leaving from San Juan.

What airport do you fly into from the US. While we don't want to stay in Old San Juan we don't want to be very far from the cruise port. Please tell me what areas would be nice to stay in, beaches, hotels, shopping and entertainment wise. We don't want to be in a secluded area with only the hotel for entertainment.

Also, how did you get around. Did you rent a car or take cabs everywhere. If you rented a car is the driving easy or difficult.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You are best off going to PORTS OF CALL for all of this info. You will get a plethora of information.

We haven't been to our hotel yet - but we did get a great deal on the Hyatt House San Juan for Feb. 2017. It's near the cruise port, but not in OSJ or in Condado. We won't have a beach view, but for the price ($103 per night), we snagged a room there. It also includes free breakfast - we have 2 kids, so that is a nice extra and saves a little cash.

You fly into SJU Luis Muñoz Marín airport. I recommend you rent a car. Driving here is not easy but you'd be better off. Check all the different websites for hotels in San Juan, depending on what you want there are many hotels near Old San Juan. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by hutat

How long will you be staying before your cruise? If it's just one night, I wouldn't bother renting a car. Taxis are not terribly expensive and they obviously know their way around. If you think you want beach access I would recommend Isle Verde area. Many of the hotels aren't right on the water but they do have access rights to the beach. We've stayed at the Embassy Suites in that area and really enjoyed it. There are lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance of the hotel. Another area with hotels on the beach is Condado. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. That hotel is not on the beach but was a decent hotel with a short walk to shops and restaurants. If you don't need a beach, I recommend the Courtyard Marriott. That's a nice hotel that's again, a short walk to shops and restaurants.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Embassy Suites is great! Unlimited alcohol drinks for two hour in the evening. A great cooked-to-order breakfast. All included with the hotel. Cab ride is reasonable. Everything was superb in March on our cruise from SJU to southern Caribbean!

I've stayed in Condado Hilton Plaza and the Hilton Doubletree. Both were great hotels.

I wouldn't rent a car. I very easily caught the bus into Old San Juan and then got the free trolley to go to the forts. From there, I explored the area on foot and when I grew tired of walking, I found a trolley stop and made my way back to the bus station and then home to my hotel, which in total took about 45 minutes.

The taxi fares are regulated but I was able to cut down on my fare as we picked up other cruise passengers from the roll call on our way to the port. Think we paid $4 each including tip.

Where did you find that great price on the Hyatt House??

It was a Hotwire Hot Deal - the name wasn't released before I purchased it, but it had a 100% satisfaction rate. The rate was so fantastic I couldn't pass it up, even though I wasn't sure what hotel it was until I bid. It was the Hyatt House, and I am quite pleased at the deal.

It was a Hotwire Hot Deal - the name wasn't released before I purchased it, but it had a 100% satisfaction rate. The rate was so fantastic I couldn't pass it up, even though I wasn't sure what hotel it was until I bid. It was the Hyatt House, and I am quite pleased at the deal.

That's awesome! I was gonna say...I just checked the rate since I am going in Feb. 2017 and the Hyatt House website is $252 plus fees and taxes. The hotwire deal is great - what star category?

The Hyatt House was listed as a 3 star on Hotwire. Not only was it $103 per night (yay for great deals), I had another $10 off from the betterbidding site - so it really was a steal! The hotel amenities were listed as free parking, free internet, smoke free rooms, fitness center, pools, internet access, and golf nearby.

The Hyatt House was listed as a 3 star on Hotwire. Not only was it $103 per night (yay for great deals), I had another $10 off from the betterbidding site - so it really was a steal! The hotel amenities were listed as free parking, free internet, smoke free rooms, fitness center, pools, internet access, and golf nearby.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for a similar offer!