Navigator VOOM Wi-Fi

zjc

Thanks, is it worth the money? can you still do the basics like Whatsapp, facebook and maybe a newspaper website?

Yes, I've been able to do all of those even with the slowest ship's internet, you just have to be extra patient sometimes.

Today is worst!!

0.10 down and 0.91 up 711 ping

Thanks for the update! There seems to be some big differences between the Surf package & Surf and Stream as others on same sailing as you who have the Stream are reporting excellent performance.

Depending on what you are doing and which app is being used performance can seem good but only a speed test can show a proper comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ideally we need someone with Surf & Stream on Naviagtor to post a comparison

Hello All,

I see that VOOM is available to purchase pre cruise at 30% off. When checking out and selecting 2 devices, do you just select one person on reservation? Have not had any experience with this prior. Then while on ship, how does it work with the 2 devices. Any details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

I see that VOOM is available to purchase pre cruise at 30% off. When checking out and selecting 2 devices, do you just select one person on reservation? Have not had any experience with this prior. Then while on ship, how does it work with the 2 devices. Any details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Select one person, with as many devices as you need to use simultaneously. You will get an access code when you check-in. Each device uses the same access code, the system limits simultaneous use to what you have purchased.

Ideally we need someone with Surf & Stream on Naviagtor to post a comparison

My speed tests HAVE been on the Surf &Stream package

Not sure about video card or whatever as we are using an iPhone 6 and iPad

Two device package can be used on ANY two devices at one time

My speed tests HAVE been on the Surf &Stream package

Not sure about video card or whatever as we are using an iPhone 6 and iPad

Two device package can be used on ANY two devices at one time

I was under the impression you were on the Surf package only. You are having a very different experience to the guy who was posting that he's live streaming alsorts in his cabin with no issues!

I would be asking for a refund if I was you, I very much doubt you can stream anything with the speeds you reported

I'm on the Navigator TA now and was having a hard time deciding between pre-purchasing Voom Surf and Voom Surf and Stream package. Decided to go with the Voom Surf, didn't think it was likely that surf and stream would be working.

The Surf package has been horrible, I've disconnected and reconnected so many times. It's been like a typical pre-Zoom trans-Atlantic as far as internet goes.

Today I purchased the Surf and Stream with the Diamond Plus discount for the rest of the trip for just over $13.00 - just had to know if I was missing out on better internet.

My surf and stream on a MacBook Air early 2015 using Safari is ping 885 ms, download speed .27 mbps, upload speed .23 mbps.

My surf only on an iPhone 6 using the Speedtest app is ping 1027 ms, download speed .21 mobs and upload speed .31 mbps.

Both devices/packages seem really, really un-Zoomy to me. I'm on deck 9, right under the bridge and the ship left Vigo, Spain a couple of hours ago.

But the rest of the cruise has been excellent with a wonderful crew.

Hope that helps,

Denise

I'm on the Navigator TA now and was having a hard time deciding between pre-purchasing Voom Surf and Voom Surf and Stream package. Decided to go with the Voom Surf, didn't think it was likely that surf and stream would be working.

The Surf package has been horrible, I've disconnected and reconnected so many times. It's been like a typical pre-Zoom trans-Atlantic as far as internet goes.

Today I purchased the Surf and Stream with the Diamond Plus discount for the rest of the trip for just over $13.00 - just had to know if I was missing out on better internet.

My surf and stream on a MacBook Air early 2015 using Safari is ping 885 ms, download speed .27 mbps, upload speed .23 mbps.

My surf only on an iPhone 6 using the Speedtest app is ping 1027 ms, download speed .21 mobs and upload speed .31 mbps.

Both devices/packages seem really, really un-Zoomy to me. I'm on deck 9, right under the bridge and the ship left Vigo, Spain a couple of hours ago.

But the rest of the cruise has been excellent with a wonderful crew.

Hope that helps,

Denise

Thanks for the data point. It does not look like a huge difference between surf and surf&stream on Navigator.

Just off the Indy TA used the voom internet. I tested the speed with Ookla the $19 a day package (surf) gave a ping 230 ms upload of 0.26 mbps and a download of 0.51 mbps taken at various spots on the ship. On the $28 a day package (surf and stream) I got a ping 188ms upload 8.13 mbps and download 7.37. this package was OK.

The standard surf package is not very good.

Just off the Indy TA used the voom internet. I tested the speed with Ookla the $19 a day package (surf) gave a ping 230 ms upload of 0.26 mbps and a download of 0.51 mbps taken at various spots on the ship. On the $28 a day package (surf and stream) I got a ping 188ms upload 8.13 mbps and download 7.37. this package was OK.

That's a significant difference between the two packages, and would be well worth it to me to pay extra for the higher speed.

I will repeat my speed tests on the Navigator in Le Havre, but pretty much everything I've tried to use has been dreadful. That's why I added the

zoom plus stream.

On second thought, maybe I should have taken the Indy crossing????

Because on the Navigator, it's not good either way. It was worth $13.00 to me to compare both. In the future, when it doubt, I'll go with "Voom" only.

Thanks for the advice Lipa. It seems like Navigator is very much un-VOOM like especially when compared with the Indy doing a very similar TA.

It seems as though Royal is very much lying about VOOM being on all the ships and charging extra for something that isn't providing any benefit on Navigator

I shall stick with my Mobile Providers data package when in Ports and give the VOOM a miss I think.

Edited by zjc

It seems as though Royal is very much lying about VOOM being on all the ships and charging extra for something that isn't providing any benefit on Navigator.

While not all ships have real VOOM, the price of Internet has gone down across the board even on board. True, there's no benefit to upgrading to STREAM on a ship without real VOOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a couple of Ookla speed tests in my cabin on Navigator (SURF package):

1. Ping 767 ms

Download 0.39 Mbps

Upload 0.04 Mbps

2. Ping 777

Download 0.23

Upload 0.04

No wonder it take forever to upload a pic...

We have been on Navigator since May 8 with surf package for two.

The employees are swearing it is Voom and so much faster, etc etc.

If you just want to check email or check CC like I am doing on my iPad right now, it's doable.

If you want to do what I need it to do, download photos and do some work, it will drive you crazy.

Today for thr first time since May 8 I had a whole one hour stretch when I was working on pictures. Previous record was about five minutes.

I am hopeful for Monday, turnaround day in Southampton.

The employees are swearing it is Voom and so much faster, etc etc.

Everyone in RCI calls all of their Internet offerings as VOOM and some have reported that STREAM is indeed faster than SURF, but, that doesn't mean the performance is any near what it is like on ships like Oasis.

Voom is just marketing BS - what you actually get will vary by ship.

I was on the same cruise as the OP. I bought the Voom package for 3 devices. Actually, the company paid for it. I figured I could do work on my laptop and the wife and I could both use our IPads. VOOM on the Navigator is simply horrible at least while sailing in the North Sea or in Norway. Completely useless. It is just as bad as it was in 2007 when I first sailed the Navigator of the Seas.

$200 bucks wasted.

I was hopeful, despite my typical cynicism after the experience on the Oasis the last two years that they might have upgraded the entire fleet. They have not. Horrid.

JC