Coral at wrong pier?

dorotha

I just got a call from my daughter. The Coral was not at the pier where it was scheduled to be--the Diamond (which I don't believe was scheduled to stop in SF)is there! A lot of people were walking & not too happy, I guess. Anyone have a clue what's up? The Diamond webcam is down,also.

I have a book that shows where all the Princess ships are on any particular day and it shows the Coral in SF today till 4:00 PM local time and the Diamond in Ketchikan leaving port at 5:45 local time.The Cruise Cam says that the Coral is in SF but it doesn't look like Pier 35.

Coral and Regal are in San Francisco today. It looks like Coral Princess is at a second pier east of the Bay Bridge that San Francisco uses when pier 35 is full. Another ship must be in port as well. I wouldn't think Coral Princess is at the wrong pier unless there was a last minute change. The Port of San Francisco should know how many ships are in each day and should designate correctly.

Busy pre-Alaska season. People don't have to walk to the other pier...there is transportation available.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

They saw the coral driving over the Bay Bridge and knew it wasn't where they expected it to be. She might have gotten the name of the other ship wrong. Apparently some people didn't know about available transportation. She & her husband drove a rental car down, expecting to drop her & luggage off & he would be able to walk back from Avis, as my son did last year. Her husband's trying to get a cab now. Regal & Coral were both scheduled to be in SF--you'd think they'd give an either or dock # if they might switch...

Just talked to her again. They're on the ship and lovin' it. Have a minisuite on Aloha, the lucky darlings, and are as impressed as we were with the Coral. Apparently the Regal just got to the other dock first, according to what they were told. They also heard that some people were notified by their travel agents. They've already forgotten any complaints--it's too wonderful once you're on board!

I went down to Pier 32 today and took some pics of Coral Princess. Much better photo op than at Pier 35 where the ships are mostly hidden by the building on the pier. A couple of people have suggested that due to security, there will no longer be two ships at Pier 35 the same day.

Ted

November 2004-Sapphire Princess?

May 2004-Sun Princess

March 2004-Brilliance OTS

October 2003-Mercury

April 2003-Grandeur OTS

September 2002-Grand Princess

May 2002-Star Princess

Work is just something I do between Cruises....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They saw the coral driving over the Bay Bridge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Must have been some sight! I wonder what toll cruiseships have to pay!

icon_wink.gif

Is there any update on the late news from last night that the Coral hit a whale after leaving SF Bay?

They had pax on cell phones talking about it from the ship.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitemare:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They saw the coral driving over the Bay Bridge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Must have been some sight! I wonder what toll cruiseships have to pay!

icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I left my brain at work (I'm taking a vacation to babysit). Unfortunately they weren't observant enough to notice the ship hitting a whale, I guess, 'cause they never mentioned it in the 5 calls I got from them last night! Thay were so in love with their minisuite, the Room Steward may have to pry their fingers off the balcony railing on Sat morning.

I'm having a relly hard time finding any news on it anyway so maybe it was just this one TV station jumping on an un-substantiated story.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

FYI, it's going to be a busy month in SF Bay with all the repostioning. So far this week we've had Radiance of the Seas, Oosterdam, Mercury, Yorktown Clipper, Regal Princess and Coral Princess. I didn't notice any in today.

They are using Pier 35 (close to fisherman's wharf) as the traditional pier and another pier (not sure of the number) just under the Bay Bridge.

It was fun yesterday commuting by ferry right behind and then next to the Coral as she left her berth and was and was making the turn to go past Alcatraz.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

OK, I got the info...

Both oosterdam an Coral Princess used Piers 30/32 which is the site of our future New Cruise Ship Terminal.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

I was driving home along the Embarcadero yesterday as the Coral was leaving. . .almost had some mishaps just from the pleasure of watching her and wishing I was on board. I really hope they don't move the cruise pier to 30/32, it will be a nightmare when the Giants play at home.

Yarmouth Castle, Spirit of London, France, Song of Norway, Norway, Royal Viking Star, Royal Viking Sea, Dawn Princess (old), Sky Princess, Island Princess (old), Crown Princess, Sun Princess, Royal Princess, QEII, Fair Princess, Dawn Princess (new), Sea Princess, Grand Princess, Pacific Princess (new), QM2, Regal Princess

I agree about the nightmare conflict with the Giants games. However, its too late for hoping. Last I read they were moving forward with the SF cruise pier and its scheduled completion was 2006? at 30/32.

Us natives will have to alert all our CC friends to check out the Giants' schedule at www.mlb.com before cruising! LOL!

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I really hope they don't move the cruise pier to 30/32, it will be a nightmare when the Giants play at home. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I believe the plan to build a cruise terminal complex on the east side of the Bay Bridge - not sure of the pier numbers - is approved and the terminal should be in place about 2008. This is to support the growing cruise business out of San Francisco. Pier 35 is antiquated and it's very difficult to load a ship of 2000 passengers there...if Regal and Coral had both been there, it probably would have been close to chaos trying to get them both turned around for the same departure time.

Last year I visited a friend on Dawn Princess when she and a NCL ship were both at Pier 35 - another NCL ship was also at Pier 32. The difference being that Dawn Princess and the NCL ship arrived hours apart and departed hours apart. I just don't think old Pier 35 could have handled two ships at once. Unfortunate because I think it preferable to the other side of the Bay Bridge...

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

30/32 is close to SBC park but not next door, it next to where KFog does the Kaboom.

The advantage over there is space to put some dedicated parking and it keeps the traffic from Fisherman's Wharf. It'll also mean more revenue for cab drivers hauling cruise pax to chinatown, the wharf, etc...

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Hello all,

I disembarked from the Coral yesterday at Pier 30/32 which is right between the Bay Bridge and SBC Park. We arrived at 6am and there was no other ship docked at pier 35 when we sailed by. There was some delay in boarding the immigration staff because the currents were so strong additional lines had to be used to secure the ship to the dock. A huge tent had been erected to shelter the pierside activities such as luggage and embarking passengers.

Because there are no facilities at 30/32 to handle baggage the suitcases were taken off the ship ONE AT A TIME! Passenger facilities kept issuing apologies as the disembarkation dragged on and on. We were independent and were scheduled for a 9:45 departure from the ship but we didn't go down the gangway until nearly 12 noon. Those are the facts and though it was unfortunate it in NO WAY diminished the wonderful time we had on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

Truly our best cruise yet!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;21;16;59;00&timezone=GMT-0500

4/21/04 Coral Princess Panama Canal

When we walked down to pier 35 to board the Coral, the Regal was there. The Princess Rep. that was in charge at Pier 35 told me that the S.F. port authority told them there was not enough room for both of the ships there. They had buses there that took us down to the correct pier. Some people did get calls from their travel agent. We didn't. The biggest problem was the princess agents at the other pier were all bunched up together and not keeping the lines in order. Other people were going into the platinum lines, that were not suppose too. All they had to do is start a que and then have the next person in line go to the next available check-in. It was total confusion.

Archived