fashion question to Jane and others

MrsMoose2001

I have a question, you know how they are making sleeves on sweaters that reach almost the finger tips?

I see this on actresses, Kelly Rippa sometimes wears a sweater with the sleeves so long and she sometimes pulls on it to make it even longer to reach her tips.

The sleeves on some sweaters just seem to be so long and the very end in a little bell shape too.

Is there a fashion reason? Is it just a new style?

Any thoughts, comments etc would be most welcome

Hey, my sister and I used to do that in the 80's!!! It drove my mother crazy :p I haven't noticed that style this year but I don't see much "fashion" outside of the GAP (I work there).

My question is why on earth do all jeans have to drag the ground??? The young girls I work wear their jeans 3" too long and the bottoms get all frayed from being stepped on. They are meant to be worn that way - I'm 5'7" and the regular length jeans are that long (of course the ankle length ones are too short)

I've seen this look on a few very pricey sweaters. To be honest, I just don't get it. I've never seen anyone wear it in person - only on the runway and on television shows. I guess it's good for those who don't have to do anything for themselves! :)

Jane

It sounds very uncomfortable to me. Unless you're sitting at home by the fire, curled up with a good book.

I would just end up rolling the sleeves up to my elbows, I have to have my forearms out.

Maybe young women like to look like they have gorilla arms.

Watched a girl on campus try to light a cigarette this morning while wearing one of these bell-sleeved blouses.

I was expecting to have to rush over and douse her with my latte should her sleeve go up in flames.

Of course I was laughing to myself thinking of this thread.

~e

Watched a girl on campus try to light a cigarette this morning while wearing one of these bell-sleeved blouses.

I was expecting to have to rush over and douse her with my latte should her sleeve go up in flames.

Of course I was laughing to myself thinking of this thread.

~e

If her blouse was a natural fiber, then it would be naturally fire-retardant. But if polyester........she'd better pray you had the latte handy! LOL!!!

Jane

If her blouse was a natural fiber, then it would be naturally fire-retardant. But if polyester........she'd better pray you had the latte handy! LOL!!!

Jane

That baby was a rayon blend....I was worried about that girl!

Talk about a fashion victim! :eek:

How do you open doors, take notes in class, carry your latte...???

It just seems to be too much of a hassle...not to mention dangerous.

~e

LOl, I'm glad I quit smokeing. I don't get it, I have 2 sweaters, that have those sleeves, one cashmere the other a Ferre and I just don't get it but I loved the sweaters enough to overlook the "sleeve".

I always thought it was because of "germs" ROTFL, that you could use the ends of the sweater to open the door without touching the door handle, I've actually seen women in NYC doing that or pushing down the paper towel dispenser, yes, I've seen it in NYC. One woman didn't have the "long sleeves" in the theatre and she used her elbow for her and her daugther, would not touch the "pushy thingy" with her hands.

Oh I don't know, could come in handy for me. I have Reynaud's Syndrome. It's a condition that effects the circulation in my fingers. My fingers turn white, blue and then red. It happens when it's cold or I get anxious. Long sweater sleeves might be very useful to keep my finger tips warm.;)

Also, perhaps if someone was having a day when she wanted to feel particularly helpless and "damsel in distressish" it could help with that image."Help me, oh strong, handsome, prince. I am a helpless female. You must wait on me head and foot. Peel me a grape." ;) :D :rolleyes:

Linda

Oh I don't know, could come in handy for me. I have Reynaud's Syndrome. It's a condition that effects the circulation in my fingers. My fingers turn white, blue and then red. It happens when it's cold or I get anxious. Long sweater sleeves might be very useful to keep my finger tips warm.;)

Also, perhaps if someone was having a day when she wanted to feel particularly helpless and "damsel in distressish" it could help with that image."Help me, oh strong, handsome, prince. I am a helpless female. You must wait on me head and foot. Peel me a grape." ;) :D :rolleyes:

Linda

The warm fingertips would certainly be a plus!

LOL! Peel me a grape! Love it!

~e

LOl, I'm glad I quit smokeing. I don't get it, I have 2 sweaters, that have those sleeves, one cashmere the other a Ferre and I just don't get it but I loved the sweaters enough to overlook the "sleeve".

I always thought it was because of "germs" ROTFL, that you could use the ends of the sweater to open the door without touching the door handle, I've actually seen women in NYC doing that or pushing down the paper towel dispenser, yes, I've seen it in NYC. One woman didn't have the "long sleeves" in the theatre and she used her elbow for her and her daugther, would not touch the "pushy thingy" with her hands.

Mrs Moose,

I tried on a few sweaters with those L_O_N_G sleeves and they went back on the rack. They'd drive me nuts!

Re: In the ladies room. That would have been me.:) I always take a paper towel to open the door with and I use my elbow to get the paper towel lever pushed down. Too many people don't wash their hands and I don't care to put my clean hands all over a bacteria filled door handle before going back to my dinner.

Jane

ROTFL me too Jane, I'm a bit germaphobic and I carry anti-bacterial lotion, I use the paper towels to open the door etc etc. I find this to be much more prevalent in NYC than here.

I saw the piece on the Today show, Matt Lauer is really germaphoic like myslef.

I'm not opposed to wearing a mask (doctor style) if the place is full of colds and coughs and sneezing.

Nothing funny about it.

I don't mind the extra long sleeves, I don't love them, but since I've always loved longer than the usual sleeves I don't mind them.

I guess I just have "a thing" about sleeve lengths and how my hands & wrists feel.

I don't mind the look of the extra long sleeves when I see them one some as a fashion statement and I like the look of cropped sleeves (midway between wrist and elbow). However, I just can't stand the feel of either! I tried to wear a cropped sleeved sweater once. All I did was tug at it all day, the feeling drove me nuts. I gave it away to a friend and never bought another. And those extra long sleeved ones would also drive me up the wall as I'd keep pushing them up.

Funny when I think about it. I could never wear bracelets until about 12 years ago - could never stand the feel of one and I didn't wear a watch until long into adulthood, again the result of not liking the feeling of it on my wrist. I still can't wear stiff bangle bracelets because of the way they feel.

I understand what you are saying Jane, I personally hated short sleeves, not the 3/4 those I liked but on a coat or jacket, I liked the sleeve to be longer than what was considered "perfect" or normal. To this day I like a longer sleeve on coats and jackets.

I'm the opposite, I feel naked if I don't have my watch and bracelet on. I sleep in my watch and a couple of my bracelets. I had to take it all off for my surgeries and I was constantly feeling for it when I woke up, couldn't wait to get it back on.

I like 3/4 sleeves. Maybe it's the climate here, very often, I find it is the best thing for the temps here. Can't explain.

This am it is 34F.

I think everyone has their preferances and their is no right or wrong in that dept. I respect your choices as I know for a fact that you respect mine.

I don't know about the super long sleeves, but I believe the bell-shape at the wrist or hand is meant to offset larger upper arms. This was pointed out in the What Not To Wear book I purchased a couple of years ago. Same principle as the boot-cut jeans or pallazzo pants. I have a couple of sweaters with this feature and I do like the effect, although I be sure to wear them only on days when I know I won't have to be doing housework, etc.

As for 3/4 length sleeves, the practical side of me just loves them! They keep me fairly warm but they're out of the way.

I sure can relate to what Jane says about being bothered by things like that, though. I have my little idiosyncrasies, too, and it will just bother me terribly if something doesn't feel right to me.

I understand what you are saying Jane, I personally hated short sleeves, not the 3/4 those I liked but on a coat or jacket, I liked the sleeve to be longer than what was considered "perfect" or normal. To this day I like a longer sleeve on coats and jackets.

I'm the opposite, I feel naked if I don't have my watch and bracelet on. I sleep in my watch and a couple of my bracelets. I had to take it all off for my surgeries and I was constantly feeling for it when I woke up, couldn't wait to get it back on.

I think everyone has their preferances and their is no right or wrong in that dept. I respect your choices as I know for a fact that you respect mine.

Oh, now that I wear a watch and a bracelet everyday, I feel naked if I don't have them on! You know I loved the bangle bracelet you were wearing, but since it's not a heavy, clunky one, I couldn't probably get used to it too. Oh how we "suffer" to wear jewelry! :rolleyes:

I wish I could get used the the feel of the 3/4 sleeve sweater because they show off jewelry so well!

Jane

Archived