Norwegian Star Owner's Suites w/ 2 balconies

blizzardboy

We're looking at 18 days aboard the Star, Singapore to Dubai in March of 2018, if the 18-Day SE Asia & India from Singapore to Dubai, March 2017 is offered again. Big boys need king beds, which on this smaller ship means rolling with the Owner's suite with 2 balconies. We're looking for personal-experience feedback on suites 9006, 9506, 10006, or 10506. Deck 10 suites look larger. We've been HAL Neptune Suite cruisers for quite a while, so this is a step out of our comfort zone. Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

We have been in 9006 on the Star and 10004 Owner's Suites on the Pearl and Jewel that are very similar to the same ones on the Star. Our preference is for the deck 10 Owner's Suites because the cabin is larger and the decks are pretty much the same. Specifically, the closet, dressing room and bathroom are larger, and the bedroom seems larger as well. In addition there is a cutout for the dining table in the deck 10 cabins that gives a little more room in the living room as well. The Owner's Suites are our favorite cabins; I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

A few things to know about these cabins:

1. You are under the bridge so the lights on the front deck must be off at night and the bedroom curtains drawn to protect the night vision for the bridge.

2. The front deck is completely visible from the bridge on deck 10 and about half the deck is visible on deck 9.

3. The front deck can be quite windy when underway. It is usable if seated, otherwise it can be quite "bracing".

4. When coming into port the thruster engines for maneuvering are quite audible.

I cracked up when I saw the videos. I got confused and the video for 10006 was the video I posted on YouTube last year! I got confused because we were in the deck 9 OS on the Pearl a month later. The video for 10006 was taken after the dry dock in 2015, but I noticed they did not change out the carpet on deck 10 but they did for deck 9. Curious!

Our first cruise was on Hal Ryndam in S002, and we were on NCL Star in November/December 2014 in 9506. They are both beautiful suites. I will give points to S002 for the large balcony and oversized dressing room; however 9506 has two large rooms separated by a sliding door and heavy curtains, plus it has an extra half-bath which came in handy even though there were only two of us. The bathroom in 9506 is much larger than S002 with separate shower and tub (with flat screen television), a separate room for the toilet, and a small dressing room with dressing table. We hosted a party for around 25 people after the cabin crawl and it didn't seem very crowded. Here is a video of 9506 (not mine) that was posted before we cruised. The only difference I can see is when we were there the carpet was a wavy blue-green instead of red flowers.

As for the differences between deck 9 and deck 10, deck 10 has extra room for the dining room table, plus the dressing area is bigger. Our only complaint about 9506 was the lack of drawer space. For a cabin that size, you would think that there would be tons of room to store your clothes, but we ended up keeping our suitcase open in the bedroom for items we could not hang. There is a desk in the bedroom that we did not use and it would have been much better if there had been a dresser instead. I did like the bit of privacy we had on the forward deck, plus we could move in and out of the sun as needed.

I so envy you with 18 glorious days ahead of you in whatever cabin you choose!

Edited by Silver Girl

I cracked up when I saw the videos. I got confused and the video for 10006 was the video I posted on YouTube last year! I got confused because we were in the deck 9 OS on the Pearl a month later. The video for 10006 was taken after the dry dock in 2015, but I noticed they did not change out the carpet on deck 10 but they did for deck 9. Curious!

Hi Mary! We sailed on the Sun in the cabin next to yours and I just wanted to say hello!

Now I'm confused. Who's on first? Please clarify which videos are which and when. :)

Thanks to all for the info!

Dave