VAT Tax on Vista Questions

LaCal

:confused::confused:

This tax doesn't go to Carnival. It will lower the amount of sales on Carnival cruises that have to collect the tax.

You have it completely backwards. This hurts Carnival overall more than any individual.

Its not me who has it completely backwards. Before booking I enquired about drink prices and was quoted examples. I was told I needed to add a further 15% to that price. The prices are already expensive (and made worse by the £1 to $1 exchange rate). Had I been informed there was also a further hike in price by 21% for tax (which I don't understand why its being levied anyway since the ship is in international waters)- I 100% definitely would not have booked this cruise. I couldn't give a monkies "the money isn't going to carnival" the only thing that concerns me is the total it will cost me. Not sure why that's confusing for you.

Why do other cruise lines not add 21% tax to their drinks prices on Med cruises? Why is the cost of buying the cheers package before boarding without this 21% surcharge.... But does have 15% gratuities added to the bill?

It all smells very fishy to me and smacks of dishonesty and deception.

Edited by les37b

Its not me who has it completely backwards. Before booking I enquired about drink prices and was quoted examples. I was told I needed to add a further 15% to that price. The prices are already expensive (and made worse by the £1 to $1 exchange rate). Had I been informed there was also a further hike in price by 21% for tax (which I don't understand why its being levied anyway since the ship is in international waters)- I 100% definitely would not have booked this cruise. I couldn't give a monkies "the money isn't going to carnival" the only thing that concerns me is the total it will cost me. Not sure why that's confusing for you.

Why do other cruise lines not add 21% tax to their drinks prices on Med cruises? Why is the cost of buying the cheers package before boarding without this 21% surcharge.... But does have 15% gratuities added to the bill?

It all smells very fishy to me and smacks of dishonesty and deception.

Your missing the whole point.....The only reason there's the added VAT tax is because they had to cancel the Izmir Turkey port......on any Europe cruise you need at least (1) Non EU port (which Izmir was) so there's No vat tax..... So now without Izmir the tax will be 10% extra on food and drinks and 20-21% on tangible goods

If you purchase over $130 in tangible goods at one time and keep your receipts at the end you can get the VAT taxes refunded as well either at customs or at the airport they have a area setup

Hope this helps you understand it a little better

Had I been informed there was also a further hike in price by 21% for tax (which I don't understand why its being levied anyway since the ship is in international waters)

You are not in international waters if you leave an EU port back to an EU port without any Non EU ports then you are always in EU waters.

You are not in international waters if you leave an EU port back to an EU port without any Non EU ports then you are always in EU waters.

I had challenged that - but it seems things have changed. I use to enjoy the tax free purchases travelling from Dover to Calais with the bars opening a mile of the coast on its 23 mile journey

Had they told me "oh by the way, your 8 day cruise is not leaving the EU so we are going to add a further 21% to the costs" then I would NOT have booked. You make a decision based on information you are given. This isn't a fun ship, its a pirate ship and I can honestly say I find it incredible it seems people are accepting of this undisclosed "little" extra surprise.. Yes I understand we are all liable to laws and taxes but I question the honesty in what is being said and the way it has now come to light. My ship was never going to Turkey.

Edited by les37b

Your missing the whole point.....The only reason there's the added VAT tax is because they had to cancel the Izmir Turkey port......on any Europe cruise you need at least (1) Non EU port (which Izmir was) so there's No vat tax..... So now without Izmir the tax will be 10% extra on food and drinks and 20-21% on tangible goods

If you purchase over $130 in tangible goods at one time and keep your receipts at the end you can get the VAT taxes refunded as well either at customs or at the airport they have a area setup

Hope this helps you understand it a little better

Yes but those of us that are from the UK cannot claim back the VAT at all!

It will just make us very careful about what we buy on board but will not spoil the holiday at all, as this is an amazing trip and on a lovely brand new ship. Of course I am upset as well at the extra costs but as we are not drinkers won't effect us much at all! Maybe only buy one photo and not a few !

Yes but those of us that are from the UK cannot claim back the VAT at all!

It will just make us very careful about what we buy on board but will not spoil the holiday at all, as this is an amazing trip and on a lovely brand new ship. Of course I am upset as well at the extra costs but as we are not drinkers won't effect us much at all! Maybe only buy one photo and not a few !

We are drinkers (though luckily not big drinkers) and it will and does affect us.

Why is it Tax isnt applied to "Cheers" bought before disembarkation? Oh wait - I guess that will be next! :mad:

We are not people who need to get our monies worth. The cruises we've been on have been AI and wouldnt dream of abusing the food or drinks on offer. (I'm guessing there are more than a few on Carnival who are not happy until theyve eaten enough until they are sick and get their full 15 drink quota)..... But if VAT is not being applied to purchases before boarding - then I might just as well buy Cheers. I might not drink my monies worth, but I feel bitter enough by this deception to make sure I do get the full quota - even if I just poor it down the sink. As you can tell, I'm not impressed. First and last that is for sure.

Sorry to say but as the sailing on the 26th of August never had a "none EU" port in the itinerary it was never going to be VAT free.

so I do think yes Les37b you were miss lead by who ever sold you the cruise.

The reason it's not applied to the cheers package if pre bought, is it is only added to purchases made on board.

We aren't big drinkers so if they cancel Izmir off our cruise then that would still not be worth our while having. On all past cruises I've looked at how much it will cost and unless you plan on drinking 6-7 drinks a day it's way over the top for us. Oh remember everyone in the cabin has to have the package, not just one of you. Always found this unfair if you have a non drinker with you. At least this is something Princess have now relaxed and not required. But if i'm right it is a requirement of Carnival.

As pointed out those of us here in the UK "DO NOT" have the privilege of being able to claim the tax back. Plus to get it back you have to spend over $130 in one purchase, several receipts to that value will not count.

there's still a lot of speculation as to what will happen on future sailings our included. Me, i'm hoping they don't cancel it as I Really do want to see Ephesus. so i'll be sad from 2 sides if you do.

I'll be missing somewhere I really would like to see and have to be watching carefully what I spend on board. :mad:

Sorry to say but as the sailing on the 26th of August never had a "none EU" port in the itinerary it was never going to be VAT free.

so I do think yes Les37b you were miss lead by who ever sold you the cruise.

The reason it's not applied to the cheers package if pre bought, is it is only added to purchases made on board.

We aren't big drinkers so if they cancel Izmir off our cruise then that would still not be worth our while having. On all past cruises I've looked at how much it will cost and unless you plan on drinking 6-7 drinks a day it's way over the top for us. Oh remember everyone in the cabin has to have the package, not just one of you. Always found this unfair if you have a non drinker with you. At least this is something Princess have now relaxed and not required. But if i'm right it is a requirement of Carnival.

As pointed out those of us here in the UK "DO NOT" have the privilege of being able to claim the tax back. Plus to get it back you have to spend over $130 in one purchase, several receipts to that value will not count.

there's still a lot of speculation as to what will happen on future sailings our included. Me, i'm hoping they don't cancel it as I Really do want to see Ephesus. so i'll be sad from 2 sides if you do.

I'll be missing somewhere I really would like to see and have to be watching carefully what I spend on board. :mad:

Thanks Jules, and you are correct about being misled, which is now just one on many reasons I regret booking this cruise.

The people I'd asked if they'd had VAT added to their bar bill, I now find out their cruises included Gibraltar, which falls outside of the remit which seem s is applicable. Apologies if I got on my high horse to anyone in this respect. I certainly recall the days the bars and shops opened on departure from Dover of a ferry to Calais on its 23 mile journey a mile off shore. Not sure why they need to do that now if this is the case? It can't be for duty reasons either I would have thought.

Anyway, what makes it worse for us UKites is the exchange rate now. Obviously Carnival are forgiven for that one (lol) but when I booked the exchange rate was $1.60 to the £ its now £1.40 - And I considered at the time, I would not drink enough to make it a worthwhile purchase. (Would anyone drink £43 of alcohol in a UK bar x 2 for 8 nights on a spin other than alcoholics?) So I now find there is zero we can do and for the sake of worrying (wrong word - more angryly) about how big the bar bill we are running up - I might as well just pay the (now inflated) price of cheers and try to forget the annoyance.

You learn by your mistakes. Mine was believing what I was told by Carnival in respect of alcohol charges. And the more I learn about the "that isnt included" money machine, the more I dislike it. There are numerous deals available currently with similar schedules on a better star rating and on an AI basis. I've learnt another lesson which I wont be making in the future.

Thanks Jules, and you are correct about being misled, which is now just one on many reasons I regret booking this cruise.

The people I'd asked if they'd had VAT added to their bar bill, I now find out their cruises included Gibraltar, which falls outside of the remit which seem s is applicable. Apologies if I got on my high horse to anyone in this respect. I certainly recall the days the bars and shops opened on departure from Dover of a ferry to Calais on its 23 mile journey a mile off shore. Not sure why they need to do that now if this is the case? It can't be for duty reasons either I would have thought.

Anyway, what makes it worse for us UKites is the exchange rate now. Obviously Carnival are forgiven for that one (lol) but when I booked the exchange rate was $1.60 to the £ its now £1.40 - And I considered at the time, I would not drink enough to make it a worthwhile purchase. (Would anyone drink £43 of alcohol in a UK bar x 2 for 8 nights on a spin other than alcoholics?) So I now find there is zero we can do and for the sake of worrying (wrong word - more angryly) about how big the bar bill we are running up - I might as well just pay the (now inflated) price of cheers and try to forget the annoyance.

You learn by your mistakes. Mine was believing what I was told by Carnival in respect of alcohol charges. And the more I learn about the "that isnt included" money machine, the more I dislike it. There are numerous deals available currently with similar schedules on a better star rating and on an AI basis. I've learnt another lesson which I wont be making in the future.

I totally see your point and understand your anger.

we did a mini cruise on P&O (never again) and it was not until we were on board did we work out Tax was on top of every thing. Hubby was annoyed it was added to the cost of the watch he bought as he could have bought it cheaper on land. I wanted a picture I had taken of a friend and myself. She passed away a few weeks ago and I had to have it as it was the last one I had of her.

When we looked at the end bill even with the tax it still would not have come to the cost of a drinks package had we bought one.

My advice is don't rush in and buy the cheers just yet.

It sounds as if it's not cost effective for you as it's not for us.

if you search the main carnival forum there are several threads about bar menu's so you can get an idea of prices. add the 15% (this is normal for most cruise lines) and the extra tax then times this by roughly how many on average you would drink over the 8 days. I'm sure it will still be far less than the "cheers". Agree the exchange rates thing has always been annoying but in the past I have found a few ways to make it work out better for us. i'm not sure I can this time round though.....

One thing that a lot of Brits will say and this goes for most sailing on ships billed in $'s is don't agree to have the exchange rate handled by the cruiseline.

Not found much in it personally but it "supposed to be cheaper if you let your credit card company handle the exchange rate.

What I mean is let carnival charge the $ amount to the card company and let them work out the exchange rate. the other way is carnival will work it out and bill the card in £'s. I've been billed both ways and never found there to be much in it.

We like to pre pay / add on as much as we can before we sail. last and this time we have pre paid the tips one less expense at the end. We've also added gift credit to the account in the past. works by having a positive $ amount at the start that we spend. Princess give you a set exchange rate for the cruise so we are able to work out how we are spending. At the end any not used we can request it back. Although I see we can do something similar with Carnival if you don't use it all they keep it. I totally don't agree with that so will not be doing it this time around.

As to there being lots not included i'm not sure what you are referring to.

speciality restaurants yep but you don't have to eat in them, there are far more places that are free on the Vista. there's free ice cream and there are drinks you can have for free to, we tend to drink tea & coffee and take squash to add to water for in the day. Carnival have Lipton's tea which I hate so i'm taking my own teabags.

The Spa is chargeable but that's normal for most ships. We are in a cloud 9 cabin so get free use of it but if we wanted a massage or treatment there's a charge . The Serenity on Vista is a free adult area on Princess they charge extra to go in their version.

The slides are free and so is the sky ride, no charge for crazy golf or the pool tables. there's a skittle aisle to which i'm expecting to be free to.

Shows are free to see but the Imax we always knew there'd be a charge for.

Don't take what I've said in the wrong way, i'm just trying to make you see it's not as bad as at the moment you think it may be.

Yes you might be right that you could sail with a another cruise line on a AI basis but the experience will be nothing like you hopefully will get on the Vista.

Last year on the island Princess we put down a future cruise deposit on our next cruise. That's who I thought we would be sailing with this year, we are now Platinum level with them. But I saw the offer on the Vista and thought Hey that would be a great ship to be on. The extra cost's to us didn't come in to it when deciding to book or not, but as we have never sailed on a AI ship we always knew there were things to pay for.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and in the end think "hey it's not as bad as thought and we had a great time".

Will prices on the ship clearly state that the tax is now included in the purchase price?

Like it is on land in EU countries.

OR, will it be an ADD ON after you get your surprise receipt?

I'd say the prices will be without it but i'd expect there to be a sign with the level of tax on it.

That's how it was on P&O for us earlier in the year. I kept forgetting until I got to the till and was told the price :eek:

I'm assuming the transatlantic cruise will not have VAT added to any item on the ship, would this be a correct assumption?

Or are we likely to have VAT added for the early part of the cruise?

Bermuda is not a EU country, so there should not be VAT tax

Bermuda is not a EU country, so there should not be VAT tax

All the talk on here is about Vat charges for the Europe sailings.

Mainly those that include Izmir.

Don't think it applies once its on it's way the US

The TA stops at Gibraltar so no VAT.

We had Izmir canceled and this will affect how much we spend on board. We will no longer be purchasing elegant night photos and will limit our alcoholic purchases to a drink for sail away and 1 on the sea days. We will not purchase soda for the kids but will bring our own 12 packs as allowed. More trouble at the beginning but less money out of our pockets.

All the talk on here is about Vat charges for the Europe sailings.

Mainly those that include Izmir.

Don't think it applies once its on it's way the US

The question I responded to is the one I quoted - specifically about the TA

I totally see your point and understand your anger.

we did a mini cruise on P&O (never again) and it was not until we were on board did we work out Tax was on top of every thing. Hubby was annoyed it was added to the cost of the watch he bought as he could have bought it cheaper on land. I wanted a picture I had taken of a friend and myself. She passed away a few weeks ago and I had to have it as it was the last one I had of her.

When we looked at the end bill even with the tax it still would not have come to the cost of a drinks package had we bought one.

My advice is don't rush in and buy the cheers just yet.

It sounds as if it's not cost effective for you as it's not for us.

if you search the main carnival forum there are several threads about bar menu's so you can get an idea of prices. add the 15% (this is normal for most cruise lines) and the extra tax then times this by roughly how many on average you would drink over the 8 days. I'm sure it will still be far less than the "cheers". Agree the exchange rates thing has always been annoying but in the past I have found a few ways to make it work out better for us. i'm not sure I can this time round though.....

One thing that a lot of Brits will say and this goes for most sailing on ships billed in $'s is don't agree to have the exchange rate handled by the cruiseline.

Not found much in it personally but it "supposed to be cheaper if you let your credit card company handle the exchange rate.

What I mean is let carnival charge the $ amount to the card company and let them work out the exchange rate. the other way is carnival will work it out and bill the card in £'s. I've been billed both ways and never found there to be much in it.

We like to pre pay / add on as much as we can before we sail. last and this time we have pre paid the tips one less expense at the end. We've also added gift credit to the account in the past. works by having a positive $ amount at the start that we spend. Princess give you a set exchange rate for the cruise so we are able to work out how we are spending. At the end any not used we can request it back. Although I see we can do something similar with Carnival if you don't use it all they keep it. I totally don't agree with that so will not be doing it this time around.

As to there being lots not included i'm not sure what you are referring to.

speciality restaurants yep but you don't have to eat in them, there are far more places that are free on the Vista. there's free ice cream and there are drinks you can have for free to, we tend to drink tea & coffee and take squash to add to water for in the day. Carnival have Lipton's tea which I hate so i'm taking my own teabags.

The Spa is chargeable but that's normal for most ships. We are in a cloud 9 cabin so get free use of it but if we wanted a massage or treatment there's a charge . The Serenity on Vista is a free adult area on Princess they charge extra to go in their version.

The slides are free and so is the sky ride, no charge for crazy golf or the pool tables. there's a skittle aisle to which i'm expecting to be free to.

Shows are free to see but the Imax we always knew there'd be a charge for.

Don't take what I've said in the wrong way, i'm just trying to make you see it's not as bad as at the moment you think it may be.

Yes you might be right that you could sail with a another cruise line on a AI basis but the experience will be nothing like you hopefully will get on the Vista.

Last year on the island Princess we put down a future cruise deposit on our next cruise. That's who I thought we would be sailing with this year, we are now Platinum level with them. But I saw the offer on the Vista and thought Hey that would be a great ship to be on. The extra cost's to us didn't come in to it when deciding to book or not, but as we have never sailed on a AI ship we always knew there were things to pay for.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and in the end think "hey it's not as bad as thought and we had a great time".

Jules, far from taking things the wrong way, I'd like to thank you for a great reply.

It is pretty annoying to learn about extra unknown charges. I can see elsewhere now references to EU only ports being charged, but I do think it needs to be more transparent. Big banners saying "Tax free onboard" when applicable, will be a huge selling point.... But it's not done. Instead, it seems you need to learn this the hard way. As I said, I'd asked a couple of people I know that had done non AI med cruises and they confirmed they were not charged VAT... But again, without being in the know, Gibralter saved them. So in future, any non AI med cruise, I would check to see if any ports were non EU.

Too late to wait about cheers..... I've gone ahead and booked. I won't be drinking 15 cocktails..... But I might order them! Lol had I been aware 21% would be added with the other 15%, it's likely I would have just swollowed and bought at the time. It's now nearly £100 dearer because of the exchange rates. I'm surprised this info isn't more known.... I'm not the only one annoyed for sure.

Ta for tip about paying. I'd never let them do the exchange rate. I have a Halifax clarity card which offers the best credit card exchange rates..... But I'm guessing if you use a credit card you get hit with a surcharge by Carnival! lol I also have preloaded debit cards with $ and € so not a problem.

On other charges..... Yes I knew there would be cover charges on some restaurants.... But....There seems to be quite a lot of them which makes a mockery of food being AI.... But at least there should be a reasonable choice from the rest. I'd been told "Serenity" had a $10 charge.... But pleased you saying it doesn't. (That was from a Princess cruiser)... Yes I knew there would be a charge for IMAX, but not for everything else. It seems only old films will be exempt.... And who would want to watch those!

Uncertainties on what you can have and where you can have it on drinks packages and what's included.

My eldest doesn't drink soda and the only juice he likes is apple (and water) .. Nothing available for that, though we have bought some water for the room. He does drink "summer fruits" cordial, so I guess if we can bring that onboard it won't be too sad. (Would we be allowed to bring that from our room into a bar or show?) The youngest we've bought the soda package.

Good to know sky ride, slides and other similar stuff is without charge - that's good news.

That's again for your help, I expect it's helped a lot of people.

He does drink "summer fruits" cordial, so I guess if we can bring that onboard it won't be too sad. (Would we be allowed to bring that from our room into a bar or show?)

I don't know what summer fruits cordial is but you can't bring bottles on board, just an FYI.

Here is the policy, directly from Carnival.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Les37b

I do hope now you've paid for "cheers" you get the most out of it.

as I said we've taken cordial with us, the small fruit shot ones. We also take with us our own water bottles the sports types. Each morning we fill up with ice and water and squirt our chosen flavour. Oh before anyone says anything I always fill glass up and pour from that and not direct from the machines. So based on that I don't think it will be a problem to do something similar.

we've taken a couple of Europe cruises on Princess and until this year I never gave extra Vat a thought. the first we went to Gibraltar so yes no VAT, though saying that we were told that when we were in port at Barcelona we had to pay the Spanish VAT of 10% regardless on food and drink. Last year we went to Istanbul so again VAT free. I can only imagine those who gave you the advice haven't come across paying it either.

as I said i'm sure you will enjoy your time on board just try to remember this type of cruise is not the same type offered by the AI type. Having said that you can make it as all inclusive as you want it to be. We do, we mainly drink the free tea & coffee and water, plus the free food is more than enough choice for us.

The imax looks to be showing current cinema films, but there is a selection of films on the smart tv in the rooms (some may be paid for view). there will be some blockbuster films shown on the big screen around the pool to. check out the list on the main forum. most are big blockbusters so not so old.

try and look forward it and enjoy yourselves.

it's water flavouring some over here come in small 45ml bottles.

Thanks. Carnival has recently changed their policy and no longer allow bottles to be brought on board (other than 1 bottle of wine/person over 21).

How strict Carnival will enforce the bottle policy on Med cruises is another matter. They may be very strict or maybe not? We'll just have to read the reports coming in.

Edited by fuddrules

The prices are already expensive (and made worse by the £1 to $1 exchange rate). Had I been informed there was also a further hike in price by 21% for tax (which I don't understand why its being levied anyway since the ship is in international waters)- I 100% definitely would not have booked this cruise. I couldn't give a monkies "the money isn't going to carnival" the only thing that concerns me is the total it will cost me. Not sure why that's confusing for you.

Im confused by this statement about the exchange rate, and I'm hoping someone can clear it up, as we are American and visiting London after the cruise. I'm not always the best at math, so I want to make sure I'm understanding how the exchange works.

I was under the impression that the Pound is actually stronger than the U.S. Dollar (as of today £1 = $1.44). Wouldn't this be beneficial to a resident of the U.K. when spending money on a U.S. based ship that charges in U.S. dollars?

I know when we visit London our total hotel cost is going to be £757, which is $1090.27... It also looks like the Pound is stronger than the Euro as well (£1 = €1.27), so for a European the £757 hotel bill would cost them €958.06.

Wouldn't a U.K. resident be coming out ahead in the currency situation?? Shouldn't I be more angry about the currency situation as an American? Lol! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Im confused by this statement about the exchange rate, and I'm hoping someone can clear it up, as we are American and visiting London after the cruise. I'm not always the best at math, so I want to make sure I'm understanding how the exchange works.

I was under the impression that the Pound is actually stronger than the U.S. Dollar (as of today £1 = $1.44). Wouldn't this be beneficial to a resident of the U.K. when spending money on a U.S. based ship that charges in U.S. dollars?

I know when we visit London our total hotel cost is going to be £757, which is $1090.27... It also looks like the Pound is stronger than the Euro as well (£1 = €1.27), so for a European the £757 hotel bill would cost them €958.06.

Wouldn't a U.K. resident be coming out ahead in the currency situation?? Shouldn't I be more angry about the currency situation as an American? Lol! [emoji12]

The £ is weak against the $. Yes it has recovered a bit, but at the time of booking it was $1.60. It's currently $1.41 ( I know that as I bought another £500 worth today!)

Plus - because the dollar seemed to be getting too strong.... I went and bought £1000 at $1.36 a short while ago.

Yes I know..... My crystal ball doesn't work! Lol

Edited by les37b

The £ is weak against the $. Yes it has recovered a bit, but at the time of booking it was $1.60. It's currently $1.41 ( I know that as I bought another £500 worth today!)

Plus - because the dollar seemed to be getting too strong.... I went and bought £1000 at $1.36 a short while ago.

Yes I know..... My crystal ball doesn't work! Lol

Every time I think I understand the exchange I just get confused all over, lol! I guess I get confused when I see that I could have paid 757 but have to spend 1090. I feel like I'm having to pay 333 more than I should have. It's a really good thing I'm not in any type of finance career, ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Carnival has recently changed their policy and no longer allow bottles to be brought on board (other than 1 bottle of wine/person over 21).

How strict Carnival will enforce the bottle policy on Med cruises is another matter. They may be very strict or maybe not? We'll just have to read the reports coming in.

Hmm.... I did ask them about this and they suggested it would be OK.... The only thing was that it had to be under 12oz (or 16oz I can't remember) I think she said. Which in itself is a problem as I've not seen smaller than 1 litre.

I have already pre-bought his bottled water..... And this isn't a cost cutting exercise. He is autistic and a type 1 diabetic. He won't drink anything he doesn't know.... And apple juice, he can't drink more than a glass or his sugar levels would go through the roof.

I did speak to them today on something related. His insulin is fine in the suite fridge... But during the day when out and about we'll need to get ice packs in the pen case to keep it cool. Obviously we need to be able to freeze it. They said it should be ok.... But to speak to guest services on deck 3.

Hmm.... I did ask them about this and they suggested it would be OK.... The only thing was that it had to be under 12oz (or 16oz I can't remember) I think she said. Which in itself is a problem as I've not seen smaller than 1 litre.

I have already pre-bought his bottled water..... And this isn't a cost cutting exercise. He is autistic and a type 1 diabetic. He won't drink anything he doesn't know.... And apple juice, he can't drink more than a glass or his sugar levels would go through the roof.

I did speak to them today on something related. His insulin is fine in the suite fridge... But during the day when out and about we'll need to get ice packs in the pen case to keep it cool. Obviously we need to be able to freeze it. They said it should be ok.... But to speak to guest services on deck 3.

I'm sure if you pack a couple of the fruit shot type bottles in your luggage they will go through no problem. I'd just suggest you pack new bottles with a sealed top. They are mainly looking for smuggled on alcohol hence no bottles. Those little bottles are likely to be seen as toiletries. Worst case if packed in the checked case, is they pull it and you go the naughty room and plead your case. Anyone with a heart will let them go, but I doubt it will come to that.

Oh I plan on taking a couple myself as I hate the taste of plain water.

You do know you will be able to take on apple juice in cartons.

Bottles are a no but they will permit cartons and cans, so if while your on shore you spot some you'll be able to take it back on board with you.

Again I hope you enjoy your cruise,

Going by what you have said it should be a whole new experience and nothing like any of the other cruises you have done.