Regal Princess??

jplewis

DCHIP, do you remember the lifeboat/tender fiasco in Cabo on the cruise last August? We were sitting in the lounge having pre-dinner beverages and watching out the window when the tender crashed down onto the promenade deck. I actually saw it plummet down and mangle the railing. They did a great job of repair and I am sure there were a couple crewmembers on their way home the next day.

Ed/Jeff

we are waitlisted for the first sitting. What is the bistro setup--is that like Horizon Court blocked off for the bistro (example: on the Sun Sterling steakhouse is part of H. Court)? Is there a charge for the bistro dinners?

We've done the Bistro only once aboard her - actually it was not during the dinner hour but late night, like 1AM or so!. Half of the buffet area (Cafe Del Sol on the Regal Princess) was roped off for the bistro, the other half is a dinner buffet until 9PM or so and then snacks the rest of the night. The menu will most likely be the same all week.

I have a copy of a menu at:

Bistro Menu

There is no charge and the food is cooked to order!

How do you find out what Princess ships will be where in 2007? Does it say on the Princess site?

They announced sailings through spring 2007 back in May/June of this year, if I remember right. So, most likely they'll announce the rest of 2007 through spring 2008 next May/June.

would you mind explaining the buffet (dinner) and the bistro again? dinner buffet: is this where you go & get the food yourself (like in the daytime)? and what is bistro (after 9 pm, you say?) is it the same menu for every night if it is bistro?

We are not happy about 8 pm for our dinner (we are waitlisted for first) so we are looking for options (Regal has no personal choice)

thanks!

The Bistro starts I think at 7PM and runs until 4AM. This is tableside service in a roped off area of the buffet. Everything is cooked to order so it comes out hot and fresh, there is also a salad bar. I beleive the menu stays the same throughout the week.

On the other side of the buffet from 6PM to 9PM there is a dinner buffet where you serve yourself, from what I understand some of the same items you see in the dining room will also be up here (I've never actually done the dinner buffet.) From 9PM until 4AM it becomes a snack buffet with fruit, cheese, sandwiches, desserts, etc.

In addition there is the pizzeria which at night also adds pastas, caesar salad, minestrone soup and an antipasto plate.

Take a peek here for a review and pictures of our latest cruise aboard the Regal Princess:

Alaska Cruise 2005

There is a nighttime pizzeria menu in the picture gallery, for one reason or another I didn't put it in the Menus folder, but rather in the Regal princess Food folder! The bistro menu I have was from a different cruise but looked close to what we saw on this cruise, the link to that is below.

I should mention, on our first cruise aboard her there were 2 older ladies who were assigned to our table for late seating (they were waitlisted for first.) Out of the 10 nights they only showed up twice, the other nights they went to a combination of the Bistro, buffet and pizzeria and were extremely happy. If you do plan to do this give your tablemates a heads up so they aren't waiting for you each night!

There is also usually a pianist playing up in the bistro and buffet area until 10PM or so.

Now that sounds like a better ship for a 10-day Alaska. I vote yes! ;)

Well, I don’t know that Golden Princess is a better ship – I was just saying that the positioning of the ship makes one wonder. Actually, I think Regal Princess is the perfect sized ship for Alaska and especially Tracy Arm. It will be interesting to see if they do use the bigger ship – poor Golden Princess’ flat bottom won’t handle the currents that ships encounter going north from San Francisco. Regal Princess handles them extremely well.

We were sitting in the lounge having pre-dinner beverages and watching out the window when the tender crashed down onto the promenade deck.

Was this the incident when they were tendering in seas that were not as calm as they should have been? I heard a similar incident in Cabo of Regal Princess rolling while a tender was trying to dock – as the ship righted herself, the tender got caught under the docking apparatus…

Out of the 10 nights they only showed up twice, the other nights they went to a combination of the Bistro, buffet and pizzeria and were extremely happy.

I find it difficult to understand Princess’ original reason for transferring Regal to Ocean Village (now rescinded). They indicated she didn’t fit the “Personal Choice” profile, but clearly she does – while she doesn’t have the second dining room for Anytime Dining, she does offer plenty of choices.

Well, I don’t know that Golden Princess is a better ship – I was just saying that the positioning of the ship makes one wonder. Actually, I think Regal Princess is the perfect sized ship for Alaska and especially Tracy Arm. It will be interesting to see if they do use the bigger ship – poor Golden Princess’ flat bottom won’t handle the currents that ships encounter going north from San Francisco. Regal Princess handles them extremely well.

I think what I meant was a larger ship with more activites during those extra sea days would be a good choice. It will definitely be interesting to see. I hope they don't drop the 10 day RT from SF as that is a very appealing cruise. Perhaps they will reposition a different ship there that can handle the California seas and put Golden in their spot.... Island Princess perhaps? Just pondering what might happen... all speculation, of course. That is the fun part!

Yup, that was the same day. The seas were kinda rough that day and the tenders had bounced around in the water for a long long time. then they went back to shore. At one point there was talk that we would sail without the people still on shore and they would be flown to Acapulco to meet us there. Bad idea, we had to have the tenders as lifeboats anyway. We ended up leaving Cabo about 5 or 6 hours late because of the two incidents. ( the one where the tender was trapped under the loading platform, and the tender crashing down on the Promenade deck.)

Ed/Jeff

I sailed the Regal earlier this year. It is a wonderful ship. Both the physical ship but more importantly the staff. They were amoung the best I have seen. This is also the only ship I have been on where the dining room service was as good for breakfast and lunch as dinner.

The Bistro opens at 7:00 PM and is no charge. You have table service. It is not buffet. The service is great. You also have nice piano music to enjoy during dinner. The Assistant Maitre d'Hotel runs it. Luigi is his name. They seem to have put a bunch of the 'old timer Italians' on this ship. They really care about service.

This ship is a last of a kind. I obviously love it.

Yup, that was the same day. The seas were kinda rough that day and the tenders had bounced around in the water for a long long time. then they went back to shore. At one point there was talk that we would sail without the people still on shore and they would be flown to Acapulco to meet us there. Bad idea, we had to have the tenders as lifeboats anyway. We ended up leaving Cabo about 5 or 6 hours late because of the two incidents. ( the one where the tender was trapped under the loading platform, and the tender crashing down on the Promenade deck.)

Ed/Jeff

OK – on the other board I mentioned that you’d be well taken care of on your next Regal Princess trip and that’s because the friend of mine who works on Regal Princess and who told me the tender story will also be working your next cruise… ;)
By the way, you should have seen the line of whiners waiting to try and get something free from Princess. There were at least 10-12 people in line at the Princess Circle office for 2 days.
I heard stories about THAT too!
They seem to have put a bunch of the 'old timer Italians' on this ship. They really care about service.
A majority of these guys came to Princess from Sitmar when Princess purchased the line. Sitmar ships were totally Italian staffed. There are stories about the blending of the two lines – Italians from Sitmar and the British from P&O. Last time I was on Regal Princess I was at the most traveled luncheon and at my table were two of the engineers on the ship. Regal Princess is staffed with Italian engineers and they had quite a few things to say about the ships with the British staffs!

Given the plans for Regal Princess were originally drawn for Sitmar, it seems appropriate that these guys remain on her instead of getting lost on the mega-ships.

I think that is part of the charm and great service on the Regal. I am currently on the Sea and at the Circle party is was confirmed that Regal will stay with Princess (where she belongs!:D ) The Regal is a great ship for Alaska as I have done the 7 day RT from Seattle twice and the 10 day from SFO and all were on Regal. She loves the rougher seas and handles them well. Just a perfect lady!

Thank you to all who responded re Bistro. One question remains: does the menu change each night or not? We are hoping to eat in the Bistro more than once as we prefer eating earlier than 8pm etc.

The positive comments regarding the Regal makes me smile!!!:)

The Bistro has a fixed menu with 'specials' each night. That being said, if it is a ten day cruise they change the Bistro menu after five nights to a new 'fixed' menu with daily specials.

I got Luigi to post the menu at the start of the buffet line so you can see it at lunch time. I am again obviously a Luigi fan as I have sailed with him in previous years and had an opportunity to meet his family in Florence, Italy. Another positive of sailing this class of ship.....

I think that is part of the charm and great service on the Regal. I am currently on the Sea and at the Circle party is was confirmed that Regal will stay with Princess (where she belongs!:D ) The Regal is a great ship for Alaska as I have done the 7 day RT from Seattle twice and the 10 day from SFO and all were on Regal. She loves the rougher seas and handles them well. Just a perfect lady!

I am so glad that she is a good ship in rough conditions as we will be on her in 50 odd days time doing the South American cruise and going around Cape Horn. We need a ship that can handle any sort of weather.

I have enjoyed reading about the Regal and cannot wait to board her in Rio.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

I'm visiting the Princess Boards because friends of ours are currently sailing on the Regal from San Diego through the Canal to Ft Lauderdale. In an email I got from them today he says,

"...at dinner we sit opposite a Scottish couple from a small town near Glasgow. He tells us this is the last voyage of our ship the Regal Princess, and that it is to be decommissioned after its completes its tour around the lower extremities of South America. He says it weighs only 700 tons, whereas another newer and larger ship also at Cabo today, the Sapphire Princess, weighs 1500 tons."

I seriously suspect the Scot is mistaken because I've not heard anything about the decommissioning of the Regal...but thought I'd ask on this board in case someone else has any info.

(The problem is that Princess does use the same names for different ships, so just checking the booking process for 2007 doesn't help. Example, our first Princess Cruise was in 1989 on the Dawn Princess. That ship is no longer sailing, but there is a new Dawn Princess sailing the seas today.)

According to the Princess website, the Regal Princess has cruises booked through April 2007. Cruises were blocked out for May and June, 2007. The last one on the schedule is a RT from LA so I suspect cruises after that aren't posted because the schedules aren't out yet.

DCHIP, do you remember the lifeboat/tender fiasco in Cabo on the cruise last August? We were sitting in the lounge having pre-dinner beverages and watching out the window when the tender crashed down onto the promenade deck. I actually saw it plummet down and mangle the railing. They did a great job of repair and I am sure there were a couple crewmembers on their way home the next day.

Ed/Jeff

I just saw this post!! Yes, I remember well and have photos of the tenders trying to get back in. Had just put my camera away when the one crashed. We had 6 friends on that tender and let me tell you there were major stories to tell.....which I won't get into on this forum!!! I still think it was the earthquake in Cabo that day that got the seas going.

Anyone interested, here is a link to the Regal leaving San Francisco!!

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/image/53191517

Cheers Denise[][/color]

To paraphrase Sam Clemens, the reports of REGAL PRINCESS' death (well, not death so much as transfer to another Carnival subsidiary) have been exaggerations. Apparently. She's actually been slated to leave the fleet twice, and has had a last-minute reprieve both times.

I believe the first time she was supposed to leave the fleet was in 2002 or thereabouts. After her sister CROWN PRINCESS (not to be confused with the new CROWN PRINCESS coming out in 2006) moved to Seetours (at the time, the German subsidiary of P&O Princess) and became A'ROSA BLU, REGAL PRINCESS was supposed to follow at some undetermined future date. It never happened. In 2004, after Carnival and P&O Princess merged, Carnival rearranged the management structure of the combined company - moving, for example, Cunard into P&O Princess control, and moving Seetours into the hands of Costa. Costa management didn't feel that the new A'Rosa brand was doing well enough to keep it, so they pulled the plug. The A'Rosa name and the newly-built riverboats were sold, and A'ROSA BLU moved to Aida - the other (now only) German Carnival brand - and became AIDABLU as a stopgap measure until new Aida ships arrived. REGAL, meanwhile, stayed with Princess to await further orders.

These came earlier this year, when it was announced that REGAL would become OCEAN VILLAGE 2 for the relatively new UK-market P&O Princess brand, Ocean Village Holidays. Ocean Village is basically an English-speaking version of the German-speaking Aida brand. The Aida tagline is "Das Clubschiff", or "the club ship". Ocean Village's is, "the cruise for people who don't do cruises". Either way, in either language, the idea is something like Freestyle Cruising, but taken to the extreme. Ocean Village had begun in 2003 with the former ARCADIA from P&O (not to be confused with the current ARCADIA), which in turn used to be Princess' STAR PRINCESS (not to be confused with... you get the idea). REGAL PRINCESS would be her running-mate at Ocean Village. But alas, this was not to be either. With brand-new ships coming soon, Aida decided that they didn't need AIDABLU (which, as you probably recall, is REGAL PRINCESS' sister), so Carnival will be sending her back to P&O Princess to be OCEAN VILLAGE 2 instead. This is an advantage since she needed a big refit to adapt to the "club ship" product (A'Rosa was also a variant of this - just slightly more upscale; part of the reason for its supposed failure is that it was too similar to Aida). Were REGAL to go to Ocean Village, a similar expensive refit would be in order, while AIDABLU has already had one and so they have to do very little except change the signs from German to English and repaint her in Ocean Village livery and, voila, they have another Ocean Village ship. As for REGAL, this leaves us back where we started again, with her back at Princess awaiting further orders. Who knows what the future will hold. She's now the oldest ship in the fleet, the third-smallest after the R ships (PACIFIC and TAHITIAN), and along with those two, she lacks Anytime Dining. So she doesn't fit in very well with the Princess fleet. This indicates to me that she'll be leaving the fleet sooner rather than later, but then she's lasted this long so who knows? No doubt, those Princess traditionalists who haven't bolted the brand entirely must still be happy that she's sailing serenely into her 16th year with Princess.

Now, while I'm at it, a little history on REGAL PRINCESS. She and her sister were actually ordered not for Princess but for Sitmar, whom P&O bought and merged with Princess in 1989. CROWN PRINCESS didn't enter service until 1990, and REGAL in 1991, so by the time they came around, the prides of the Sitmar fleet turned out to be Princess ships instead.

Anyhow, back to the story of these twins. They originally were conceived by Sitmar around 1984 just after they introduced their very first newbuild, the incomparable FAIRSKY (later SKY PRINCESS, now PACIFIC SKY with P&O in Australia, and still my very favorite purpose-built cruise ship). FAIRSKY was a huge success, so they set out to build no less than four more new ships in the second half of the '80s: two in France and two in Italy. The Italian project began first, right on the heels of FAIRSKY's introduction in 1984. This was a groundbreaking project, since there hadn't been a major passenger ship built at the state-owned Fincantieri yards in Italy since EUGENIO C. in 1966. Together with Fincantieri, Sitmar's naval architects and owner Boris Vlasov designed new ships that would build on the success of FAIRSKY (which, at 46,000 GT, was the largest purpose-built cruise ship ever in 1984) and propel Sitmar into the '90s. The Italian government - remember, Fincantieri is state-owned - was naturally proud that they, who had not built a big passenger ship in 20 years, had been chosen for this prestigious comission. As the story goes, the president of Fincantieri's parent company IRI - none other than Romano Prodi, future Prime Minister of Italy and now leader of the opposition against Silvio Berlusconi - suggested that the famed Italian architect Renzo Piano design the exteriors of the new ships, as a way of showing off their Italian origin. Piano did, and as a result the ships got their distinctive "dolphin-brow" shape, making them arguably the most unique-looking modern cruise ships, and among the most beautiful.

The French project was begun a bit later than the Italian, but as the French yard, Chantiers de l'Atlantique, had already begun building big passenger ships again with HAL's NIEUW AMSTERDAM in 1983 (now THOMSON SPIRIT), the gestation period was shorter and the result, SITMAR FAIRMAJESTY, emerged a bit earlier than the first Italian ship, CROWN PRINCESS. Because of this, the French ship was actually launched with her Sitmar name before P&O took over and hastily turned her into STAR PRINCESS in time for her entry into service, while the Italian-built CROWN PRINCESS never got a Sitmar name. The option for the second Italian-built ship was taken and the result was REGAL PRINCESS, while the French option lapsed and so the originally planned four ships became three: STAR PRINCESS (originally SITMAR FAIRMAJESTY, latterly ARCADIA and now OCEAN VILLAGE), CROWN PRINCESS (later A'ROSA BLUE, now AIDABLU and soon OCEAN VILLAGE 2), and REGAL PRINCESS. The three ships are often called sisters but in fact the French ship, the former SITMAR FAIRMAJESTY, is not a sister of the Italian twins, having been designed separately from the others, though for the same owners at roughly the same time (which accounts for the many similarities between her and the other two).

All these ships go relatively unnoticed today, but they made a big splash when introduced. The Italian twins, though, eclipsed STAR PRINCESS almost immediately because of their stunning exterior design. Personally, I've always thought these to be amazingly beautiful ships and have always wanted to try one. I first saw CROWN and REGAL as a kid at Port Everglades back in the early '90s when they were the latest and greatest; I immediately fell in love with their unique shape, and 15 years later (give or take a couple), I still am. Haven't been on either one yet, either! (They're up there with Celebrity's CENTURY-class ships as "ships-I-wanted-to-try-when-they-were-new-and-still-haven't"...) I would like to try REGAL before she leaves the fleet, whenever that is...

Anyhow, hope that helps, though it took me so long to write this that someone's probably answered the question already, in far fewer words... Most of you on this board don't know me (Walt asked me over here to answer his question) but this is what happens when you get me talking about ships ;) !

Archived