UPGRADED AT THE PIER

1cruiselvr

Just curious as to how many people have experienced a last minute upgrade at the pier. By that I mean, they thought they were in one cabin but discovered at the pier, they had been upgraded to a different category/cabin. I would love to hear from those that have had this experience! I guess I want to do a little upgrade fairy worshipping!

Dawn Princess 5/04;Infinity 12/04; HAL Veendam 11/05; HAL Ryndam 12/03; PP 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; '88 Admiral Stardancer

All 3 cruises I've been on have had a sign stating that there are no upgrades available at the registration desk. The cruise line does its best to sell every cabin at some price.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

Princess has a postion called a "Cruise finalizer" that person more or less does the upgrading based on a secret formula known only to themselves and some elves in a forrest deep in the mountains.

Those calls are made about 3 days prior to embarkation, now you may find out about it at the pier but could know on pesonalizer the previous day.

No-shows are not all that common but do make space and then the hotel manager can make upgrades but there wouldn't be a lot of those to go around so the odds that your cabin out of the 1000-1300 being picked are slim.

We don't believe in the upgrade fairy... and DARE her to prove herself on any of the three sailings we have booked for the rest of the year.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I think the OP is talking about checking in and finding out you've been upgraded, rather than looking for an upgrade at the pier.

I'd say anybody that doesn't check the Cruise Personalizer or doesn't deal with a TA may have this happen. I haven't though. I check my Cruise Personalizer constantly!! icon_smile.gif

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

NEVER book a cabin you will be unhappy with expecting an upgrade - Book what you want and IF you get an upgrade it will be a plus.

If I wake up in the morning I am a happy person - If the sun is shining, thats an upgrade!!

NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA Oct. 2004

SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean

REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico

REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal

PACIFIC PRINCESS 1999 Europe

SUN PRINCESS 1998 Caribbean

ROYAL PRINCESS 1996 Panama Canal

PeabodyNVL: you are correct, that was my question. Which came to mind after talking to Princess today about our J-category guarantee on tomorrow's sailing on the Dawn Princess. The Princess rep made the comment that the ship wasn't very full since it was a repo cruise and the chances of us getting upgraded at the pier was very good. So I was wondering if anyone actually experienced this. There are some cruises that do not sail full, our is one of them.

For all of those that are going to lecture me on expecting an upgrade, that is not my expectation. I am a very experienced cruiser so I know you should book the cabin or category which will make you happy and I usually book a specific cabin but this time the guarantee price was too good to pass up. I fully intend to enjoy my cruise in the J cabin I paid for. This is a curiosity question, that's all.

Dawn Princess 5/04;Infinity 12/04; HAL Veendam 11/05; HAL Ryndam 12/03; PP 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; '88 Admiral Stardancer

A poster above states "no-shows at the pier are uncommon, but do happen" -- keep in mind, though, that "regular no-shows" (ones that may have missed their flight, or just plain have no intention on cruising and know they're passed final payment time and will get no refund) have paid for that room, and it is held for them. As crazy as it sounds, some people out there do actually forget their departure date, or realize they can't go on THAT exact day, and then have to catch the ship at its first port. So, you won't get upgraded just because some "Richy-rich" has decided not to cruise and didn't show-up. "Richy" still is assigned the Princess suite, and has paid for it in full. If "Richy" doesn't meet the ship at its first port, or contact Princess by that day (whatever day of the cruise the first port day is) some lucky passenger may be moved to "Richie's" room for the remainder. This is VERY rare though.

We leave for the Caribbean Princess tomorrow and we ran into the upgrade fairy at Princess we went from an II to a DD Cat, I thought it was kind of funny because the week before they offerd me to give up my cabin which I refused to do because they were overbooked.

Tom M

Chandris Brittanis & Gallileo

Celebrity Zenith

Carnival Destiny

Dolphin IV,Dolphin Seabreeze Dolphin Oceanbreeze

RCCL Song of Norway & Explorer of the Seas

Grand Princess & Dawn Princes

<FONT color=blue size=4>Caribbean Princess here we come!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hullamod.gif

<FONT color=blue size=4> UNTIL PURE RELAXATION ON THE ISLAND PRINCESS IN HAWAII!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

On one cruise on the Sun Princess was upgraded several months in advance! Had booked a category AB guaranty. There are only 6 ABs on that ship... they ran out of ABs, and someone wanted to book one, so I got bumped to AA. Booking the guaranty certainly paid off in this case!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

Ok... irregular no-shows, I do agree about the kind you refer to as regular by the way.

There are a few, again not enough to matter, people who call 3 days ahead and say they can't make it. These people hopefully have a good reason and insurance, those cabins do come avaiable but again are usually handled by the cruise finalizer.

I understand that the question was about a pleasant surprise at the pier and I still think that surprise can be likely be found on personalizer, the people at the docks aren't assigning cabins they are reading from a list of assignments.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

She must be because she's never visited me one time. I think my wholesome demeanor and boyish good looks scare her off.

Ok that's not it.....it might be that I always pick a specific cabin.

I tried a guarantee one time and didn't like it. We like all the way aft cabins best and odds of getting one on a guarantee are so slim that even Richard Simmons, the Upgrade Fairy's brother, couldn't be helpful.

*I was going to say she's a ::Click here for secret word:: but thought better of it

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Your comment about assigning cabins at the pier is partially true. However, they do make last minute changes, so last minute even the personalizer doesn't show it - or so my Princess rep says! Anyway, I was just curious if anyone got a pleasant surprise at the pier, even after following their booking on the personalizer which I know we all check obsessively icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Sailing!

Chris,

I knew I wanted one of the cabins on the very back of the Sun Princess, so I knew by taking the category AB guaranty I'd get ONE OF THEM. Got lucky with the 6 ABs selling out, and then getting bumped as soon as someone else wanted an AB. Less competition for the upgrades I would say!

Vince

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

Having experienced the "ultimate" visit of the Upgrade Fairy on our last Princess Cruise, I have a little info. She touched us with her fairy dust about two weeks before the cruise to Tahiti with an "Owners Suite". We had booked a mini-suite.

From reports via an article on another cruise website, the "Upgrade Fairy" is really a Princess computer. Given that they have something like 15 ships with weekly departures, and mostly 2,000 passengers on each ship, only a computer could keep up with that weekly load. The article indicated that preference was given to past passengers, but this board has shown that even first time passengers can be upgraded if the ship isn't full.

Princess works differently than Royal Carribbean/Celebrity where you can upgrade at the pier by paying $500 or so to do so if there are cabins available. By the time of sailing day, Princess has already upgraded weeks before all that are likely to get upgraded. For all of this to even start means that some of the top cabins weren't booked. That does happen because Princess never puts the full suites on sale. So if some of them don't sell out, then they can begin bumping up.

I realize that some people rave about a seven category upgrade from inside cabin in the bottom, to inside cabin at the top deck, but to me, a real upgrade is across categories like inside to outside, outside to balcony, and balcony to mini-suite or suite. Those happen too and you can never predict when you will get a visit, but it's fun to dream!

Thanks

Norm

Norm and Maureen Reeder

NCL Sunward 1982,Eastern Carribbean, Sky Princess 1989, New England, Holland America Westerdam 1992, Panama Canal, Sun Princess 1996, Panama Canal, Rennaissance R-3 1999, Tahiti, Grand Princess, 2000 Mediterranean, Sea Princess 2001, Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess Oct 2002, Eastern and Western Carribbean, Tahitian Princess Sep, 2003, Golden Princess Southern Carribbean, May, 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just curious as to how many people have experienced a last minute upgrade at the pier. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1cruiselvr Please let us know what happens at the pier.

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I knew by taking the category AB guaranty I'd get ONE OF THEM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to do that for sure!

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I'm sounding redundant now:

We received the ultimate upgrade on the Golden;

booked a BB guarantee and upgraded to a VS,

full suite! (from a regular balcony cabin to

full, skipping all the mini-suites)

On Celebrity we bought a window cabin guarantee; docs arrived showing a balcony upgrade, then upgraded once again at the pier

to a larger cabin with balcony and that was

at the height of cruising season in Alaska.

Carnival Holiday 6/92

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/94

Celebrity Infinity 6/28/01

Star Princess 2/08/03

Golden Princess 12/06/03

Diamond Princess 9/25/04

1cruiselvr: How cool would that be! We are on the Dawn tomorrow, too, in a cat J! Is there a roll call started? I couldn't seem to find one.

What a nice way to spend a long weekend!

Dawn Princess 5/04

Dawn Princess 4/04

Island Princess 8/03

Carnival Elation 6/02

I didn't see a roll call either. We will probably run into each other, since we are booked in a J as well on the Dolphin Deck. Can't wait!

On our first cruise with Princess to Austraila/New Zealand we had a "near-pier" upgrade experience.

Our TA caught us on the cell phone on the way to the airport to tell us that my in-laws had been upgraded from a BB cabin assignment to a full-suite..and that updated docs would be at the pier when we arrived.

Well...much to our surprise...the same upgrade was given to us, but our TA didn't get notification in time to call us. So..we were pleasantly surprised to join them in a suite of our own for our very first cruise!

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand

Sky Princess 03/2000 China

Royal Princess 02/2002 South America

Golden Princess 05/2003 Med

Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030

No teenages, just DH and I. Are you staying on for Alaska? We are flying back home, it's just a nice weekend break from stress for us.

Not long now....

WE were on the Grand in Sept '02 and were upgraded from a mini to a Vista Suite at the pier.I checked the personalizer 2 days before the cruise and it wasn't there then.We were upgraded in Jan '04 to a full suite from a regular balcony because we knew some officers from previous sailings.We were offered an upgrade last month on the 3rd day of a 10 day cruise from a regular balcony to a mini, but opted to stay in our original cabin.Someone had to disembark due to a death back home.Again,due to friends with gold braid on their sleeves.

Srphnx... thanks for the info on the "Cruise Finalizer" process. You answered the questions I have about late upgrades

Although I'm fairly happy with our current cabins, my TA seemed to think an upgrade was more than just possible. I'm 4 days away, so there's still hope!!

Rick

The only upgrade I ever got at the pier was on the Explorer of the Seas last summer. I didn't even know until we checked in, they gave me my boarding pass with a different room number then my luggage had on it.

They bumped me up two floors-balcony to balcony-not a biggie.

Every other ship I've sailed on has always had those "ship is full, no upgrades" signs up at the pursers desk!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until the Caribbean Princess!

Sovereign of the Seas 8/98

Premier Seabreeze 4/99

Norwegian Wind 4/00

Norwegian Majesty 4/01

Holland America Volendam 11/01

Grand Princess 4/02

Carnival Fascination 5/02

Costa Atlantica 11/02

Golden Princess 3/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Sun Princess 11/03

Caribbean Princess 07/04