UPGRADED AT THE PIER

1cruiselvr

1cruiselvr.. hope you are having a great time on your cruise!

In general.. all upgrades will show in the Personalizer. Its a real time link into the Princess computer. If your upgrade happens after you check it the last time, shucks! icon_wink.gif

Chris.. Unlike other lines, Princess upgrades folks from "chosen" cabins as well as guarantees on a regular basis. You have a better chance at one if you book far in advance, pay a lot more than others, are a past passenger, or are just in a category they want to clear out to make a special sale on that category. (Timing is everything!) On Princess, I always suggest folks choose an actual cabin. Might as well get something you know you'll like than play the guarantee lottery.

Upgrades across cateogries (balcony to mini) are less common than within a cabin type, like BD to BA, but they happen frequently as well. I've noticed more sold out ships and slightly less frequent upgrades this year, but there is always hope. (I think I'll go check my Personalizer for my Grand cruise now come to think of it......)

Cheers!

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

If you book an actual cabin do you have just as much chance of getting an upgrade as booking a guarantee? And, if this is so, what's the point of having the guarantee category? I originally booked a mini, category AD ( think), and selected guarantee. I was then upgraded to category AA D401 and now have been upgraded to a Premium Suite on the Diamond to Alaska B753. This is the first time i have ever booked a guarantee, so it makes me wonder if it had anything to do with my upgrade. I am a platinum member and did bok my cruise many months in advance.

Lynda

Lynda, I DO believe you have just as good a chance of getting upgraded with an actual cabin as a guarantee ON PRINCESS. Many will disagree, but that's fine.

The point of having the guarantee category is so that folks who want the price can still get it, even if the actual cabins are sold out. In some cases, the guarantee will place them in a higher category, in other cases the current occupants will get upgraded or cancel and you will be placed in the category you had a guarantee for. Princess often has a "sale" on a category that only has a couple cabins.. and all the sale cabins are sold as a guarantee. They do this to fill the ship, but not reduce the price of the higher level cabins where folks paid a lot more.

You got great upgrades! The guarantee may or may not have had something to do with it. Once you were assigned the actual AA though, you still got upgraded from an "assigned" cabin, so that goes to show you those happen too! icon_wink.gif

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

Archived