Mountain Flying Service: Skagway

poss

I know that DougH has mentioned this company a number of times, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has done a Glacier Bay flight-seeing tour with MFS. Since excursions are included in our cruise fare, and since we usually have enough OBC to pay for the ones on which there's an up-charge (like flights), we've always used the ship's excursions in the past. Also, it's important to us that if anything goes amiss on an excursion (not back in time, etc.), we're ok because the excursion was connected with the ship.

But Regent doesn't do Glacier Bay, and I'd like an opportunity to see it. There is a ship-connected helicopter tour from Skagway (for which we could apply our OBC), but the Glacier Bay opportunity sounds more appealing.

Thus I'd be appreciative of getting as much input as possible from people who've gone out with Mountain Flying Service. Btw, how do I check their safety record? Also, MFS seems to be a one-man operation; that makes me somewhat uncomfortable. Also makes me somewhat uncomfortable that this company is almost never mentioned on CC boards, whereas many others are. But the tours do sound wonderful!

Thanks DougH, and thanks to others in advance.

Edited by poss

Hopefully you will some responses, I believe BQ may have some input. It actually took me 3 years to finally fly with Paul. First year my ship was stopping in Haines but weather was poor and my flight was cancelled. Next year I was to fly out of Skagway but caught a cold and I cancelled on a beautiful sunny day perfect for flying. Finally hooked up and enjoyed the flight.

I think the reason you see little mention is that very few ships stop in Haines so I don't think he really gets many cruise ship passengers. On my flight I was the only one from a cruise ship. I think the flightseeing is just a small part of his operation, he is transporting hikers and fisherman around the area also.

Paul had just acquired his current plane, considered one of the best bush planes ever built, when I flew with him. I arrived early over at the airport and was waiting for my flight time. Two pilots nearby were actually taking about some recent crashes and how stupid some pilots could be. Both expressed that they would never take chances like that. This was just an overheard conversation, they were not aware that I was actually on a flight with them. I was surprised when one of them turned out to be Paul. He was very professional and I was very confident flying with him.

I've also done flights from Juneau and Ketchikan but felt Mountain was a great value. Also love Michelle from Island Wings in Ketchikan.

Keep doing your research until you find you are comfortable. Enjoy Alaska.

A few years ago we took the west Glacier Bay flight (departed from Skagway) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had total confidence in Paul and the equipment. (At the time, he was the only certified airplane mechanic in the area.) Recommend taking a well-labeled map of Glacier Bay with you--really enhanced our enjoyment of the trip. Although Paul certainly pointed out every named peak and glacier, the map helped put everything in perspective and gave added meaning to our visit to Glacier Bay on the cruise ship the next day!

Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Hopefully you will some responses, I believe BQ may have some input. It actually took me 3 years to finally fly with Paul. First year my ship was stopping in Haines but weather was poor and my flight was cancelled. Next year I was to fly out of Skagway but caught a cold and I cancelled on a beautiful sunny day perfect for flying. Finally hooked up and enjoyed the flight.

I think the reason you see little mention is that very few ships stop in Haines so I don't think he really gets many cruise ship passengers. On my flight I was the only one from a cruise ship. I think the flightseeing is just a small part of his operation, he is transporting hikers and fisherman around the area also.

Paul had just acquired his current plane, considered one of the best bush planes ever built, when I flew with him. I arrived early over at the airport and was waiting for my flight time. Two pilots nearby were actually taking about some recent crashes and how stupid some pilots could be. Both expressed that they would never take chances like that. This was just an overheard conversation, they were not aware that I was actually on a flight with them. I was surprised when one of them turned out to be Paul. He was very professional and I was very confident flying with him.

I've also done flights from Juneau and Ketchikan but felt Mountain was a great value. Also love Michelle from Island Wings in Ketchikan.

Keep doing your research until you find you are comfortable. Enjoy Alaska.

Doug, when you've flown with him, do you do the "Grand Flight" and, if so where does the beach landing take place (and don't say "on a beach" LOL).

Thanks!

My flight was a bit different. I believe I had booked and paid for the #2 but there was newlywed couple aboard that was filming the flight and was getting some sort of trade from Paul that he would use portions in his promotional video. (I keep looking but have never seen myself lol) We had a beautiful day for flying with mixed clouds and I think Paul was enjoying flying us around. Sort of a combo of #2 & #3

We landed directly across the channel from the town of Haines, I could see the spot as we sailed back out from Skagway. While we were all wandering around on the ground I overheard Paul calling his wife back at the base and he told her it was the best day of the year. Not really much to see there but it was nice to get out and wander around a little. My recall is we spent well over 2+ hours in the air. Not sure if my trip was unusual but I felt I really got a lot for my money.

Later that cruise I did a flight out of Juneau for more money and it seemed like we landed as soon as we took off. (this was thru the cruise line but I had on board credit I need to spend)

Thank you!

I'm going to Alaska next year and it'll be my 4th Alaska cruise. I've never done a helicopter landing on a glacier because my daughter has a fear of height. We did fly with Island Wings to Anan Creek where DD's desire to see bears gave her the wherewithal to deal with the float plane trip. LOL. So, I was planning to do that, but flying over Glacier Bay sound pretty amazing.

Many, many thanks to all responders. Now I have to just get my head around the idea of doing a non-ship-related excursion. Somehow makes me uneasy. Btw, can anyone tell me how to research the safety record of a particular flight company?

Thanks again-- lots of good info in the responses.

Many, many thanks to all responders. Now I have to just get my head around the idea of doing a non-ship-related excursion. Somehow makes me uneasy. Btw, can anyone tell me how to research the safety record of a particular flight company?

Thanks again-- lots of good info in the responses.

I know you're used to booking your excursions through the cruise line and that it gives you a sense of security that you won't miss the ship, etc. But, just wanted to share that I haven't booked through a cruise line since about a dozen cruises ago and I've never been the least bit concerned about missing the ship and haven't come close to missing one. These vendors--I'm talking about the ones recommended here on CC and used by these frequent cruisers--know when your ship is leaving and make sure they get you back with time to spare. There would be reports on CC about missing the ship (or even close calls!) if this were an issue. Could you imagine how their businesses would suffer if they weren't reliable? I'm not at all trying to convince you to book independently on a regular basis, but wanted to give you the perspective of someone who doesn't even look at the excursions the ship offers and doesn't worry at all about missing the ship. :D

Thanks for ringing in again, Quilting Cruiser. I guess my only hesitancy is that while MFS has a number of reviews on TA, there's a surprisingly few on CC itself.

That and the fact that it's a one-person operation (unless I'm mistaken).

Thanks for ringing in again, Quilting Cruiser. I guess my only hesitancy is that while MFS has a number of reviews on TA, there's a surprisingly few on CC itself.

That and the fact that it's a one-person operation (unless I'm mistaken).

I understand. On my last cruise between the time I booked a tour in Tenerife and we arrived, the vendor had closed down his website. That made me a little nervous. I contacted him and he said he'd gone back to driving a cab but was still available. The others on my roll call and I decided to take a chance with him, and it was a great tour! But, then, we weren't flying in a plane! LOL.