Tipping Bartenders/Servers on Sky

ldl05

• 3 weeks later...

Some very good reasons to generously tip (cash) those who work so hard on the ships we enjoy so much.

From this article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1059

Once you're officially working on the ship, regular shifts are three shifts a day, seven days a week, 80-plus hours a week, with no days off for eight months. There's not a set schedule because every itinerary is different, but on a regular weekly sailing, you're going to work breakfast, lunch and dinner -- with probably a lunch off. On some ships, every other week you'd get two of those lunches off. That, of course, is all you get, ever. When I worked on Carnival Legend, which did eight-day cruises, I would have one lunch off every eight days. That's it.

Tipping is serious stuff. It represents well over 95% of what the crew makes. Carnival gave me something around $60 a month or so when it was all said and done. "Salary" also included the cabin you share, plenty of food and two crew parties a month. There was also an unfulfilled promise of medical care, but I knew several waiters who either got sick or had some sort of chronic condition who were immediately sent home indefinitely without pay. A few women who became pregnant while working onboard were immediately sent home without pay, as well. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was less than $80 for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the UBP on the Getaway and I tried to frequent the same bar and bartender all the time My tips were already included but I tipped extra

They will remember you

I also tipped our room steward the first day We would go to breakfast at 630 and our room was already made when we returned

They all work long hours and they appreciate the extra money

Edited by nikon photog