Celebrity Cruises Corporate Jet?

Tinkerbellcgy

I reside very close to the airport in Calgary (YYC) and while stopped at a red light this morning, I noted an airplane sporting "Celebrity Cruises" in very large letters across the entire length of its body. I'm suspecting it's a corporate jet but it just seems odd for it to be flying into landlocked Calgary. Anyone know anything about this aircraft or why it may be landing here?

It is for the Canadian Air/Cruise packages which are very popular:) Apparently the service on board is excellent and also transfers and hotels (if necessary) are included. Most of these are offered back east and I think Calgary is the farthest west they come. Would love to do this out of Vancouver. I think they are chartered from Canada North.

Edited by Christine Frances

I'm wondering if what you saw is a package tour including air in the Celebrity branded plane. I was not aware that these are being offered as far west as Calgary. They have been offering this in the eastern cities (Moncton, Hamilton etc) for a while.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/caribbean-all-included-vacation-package.

Christine beat me to it while I looked up the URL!

Edited by TeaBag

I'm wondering if what you saw is a package tour including air in the Celebrity branded plane. I was not aware that these are being offered as far west as Calgary. They have been offering this in the eastern cities (Moncton, Hamilton etc) for a while.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/caribbean-all-included-vacation-package.

Christine beat me to it while I looked up the URL!

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gpnl

There's the recent history. The plane would have to be used for other lease/charter operations in the off season.

Thanks for the replies and the picture. The aircraft I saw did not have the "X" mid-body though. The aircraft wasn't particularly large ... about the size of an average WestJet aircraft.

After posting the original post, I thought maybe it might be carrying passengers for the start of the land portion of the Alaska season. There are land portions that start in Calgary and travel through the Rockies ending up in Vancouver for the cruise up to Alaska.

Anyways, I thought it was cool watching it come in for landing.

The plane is owned/operated by a Canadian Charter company (I think it's Canadian North). My guess is the plane is now back to regular charter service and they haven't gotten around to repainting it (or may not if they play to keep doing this and give X free advertising over the summer).

I have friends who have done this and although they paid a little more they thought the overall package was great.

The same plane was in West Palm Beach when we were there a few weeks ago on a Celebrity package from Hamilton on the Silhouette. The plane was not a very big much smaller than the aircraft we were on. It must have come from Ottawa or Montreal for the same cruise.

Interesting development. When we went to book another package for next year the future cruise agent told me they were no longer going to be offering the packages from the East Coast of Canada. And now they tell me that they are only going to have one flight a week from Hamilton. I do not understand this move as the packages did very well here in Hamilton. I don't know what the marketing department is thinking.