Upgrade Fairy Nightmare

SurferJoe57

Here's another horror story for next Halloween:

I'm in a meeting at work, minding my own business, when the cell vibrates...caller ID is Carnival Cruise (Guest Admin). I leave the meeting, answer the phone - the upgrade fairy is offering to move me out of my 'handicap' room (I'm not handicapped, but it was the only room left when I went to book this cruise) into another room - better cabin actually - at no cost. "Sure!" says I, happy to make way for someone who needed the handicap room.

Go back to meeting. Phone vibrates. Email from Carnival: "Sorry you had to cancel your cruise. Your cancellation penalty is $500..yada yada yada.."

_$^&*@#_)(@#*_)(@!*_(!!!#$%^$# thinks I.

I call Carnival. "Ooops!" they say, but no worries, "we're so sorry, we didn't mean to push that button. You're still booked."

I go check my booking online. They cancelled out my transfers, shore excursions, cabin decorations, everything. I call them back, "Ooops, we're so sorry. You'll need to rebook everything. Sorry!"

I try to rebook my shore excursions. SOLD OUT, NOT AVAILABLE.

I call Carnival back..

"Look, you're killing me. I have to work right now. The cruise is in 7 days. My shore excursions disappeared, I can't rebook online. I'm Platinum, I'm a stockholder. I didn't do this, YOU did. FIX IT. Please."

Carnival agent: "Oh, we're so sorry. We can't fix it that easy."

Me: "Get ahold of shore excursions and put them back please."

Anyway. That was 6 hours ago. They offered me $25 in OBC. You gotta be kidding me. I don't want the $25, I want the $300 excursion back. I can't believe they did this to me and can't fix it.

---rant over----

Granted this has never happened to me in 18 CCL cruises, but it's absolutely inexcusable that they screwed this up and it's my problem?

Wow, that totally sucks. At the very least they should contact whoever booked your excursions and say, "Sorry, but there was a mix up and this excursion isn't actually available." And then cancel them and put you back on. I mean really, none of this is your fault. Anyway, good luck. And please let us know if they make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Maybe this is something that John Heald might be able to help finesse if you don't get anywhere with Guest Services?

Only guessing, I'm not sure what he's capable of getting accomplished ... but this is just wrong.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

My old standard is "you can't help me, ok, then give me your supervisor." If their supervisor can't fix it...repeat until you get someone who can. Don't settle or give up, push it up the chain and eventually they will get tired of transferring you and just fix your problem.

Now that is a nightmare! I hope they get everything fixed for you. Make sure you get a supervisor on the phone and they can't help you ask for their supervisor. That upgrade fairy needs to be held accountable.

That is a nightmare! I would be psychotic.

Time to get tough and not take no for an answer. They're used to people calling and being upset but now is the time to make demands. Just keep on asking to speak to someone higher up.

I would NOT let this go. That is OUTRAGEOUS!

They screwed it up, and THEY need to fix it.

I would keep escalating up to management until they reinstate everything you had originally booked.

I would be LIVID!!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!!!:)

You need to escalate and even send an email to the President for Carnival Cruises USA. The problem here, as with many issues with companies, you are dealing with agents that have absolutely no power to do anything. You need a decision maker. Someone who makes the rules, not follows them. Trust me, I worked as an senior executive for years.

If you cannot find an email for a senior executive, let us know here. I can get one for you.

Here's another horror story for next Halloween:

I'm in a meeting at work, minding my own business, when the cell vibrates...caller ID is Carnival Cruise (Guest Admin). I leave the meeting, answer the phone - the upgrade fairy is offering to move me out of my 'handicap' room (I'm not handicapped, but it was the only room left when I went to book this cruise) into another room - better cabin actually - at no cost. "Sure!" says I, happy to make way for someone who needed the handicap room.

Go back to meeting. Phone vibrates. Email from Carnival: "Sorry you had to cancel your cruise. Your cancellation penalty is $500..yada yada yada.."

_$^&*@#_)(@#*_)(@!*_(!!!#$%^$# thinks I.

I call Carnival. "Ooops!" they say, but no worries, "we're so sorry, we didn't mean to push that button. You're still booked."

I go check my booking online. They cancelled out my transfers, shore excursions, cabin decorations, everything. I call them back, "Ooops, we're so sorry. You'll need to rebook everything. Sorry!"

I try to rebook my shore excursions. SOLD OUT, NOT AVAILABLE.

I call Carnival back..

"Look, you're killing me. I have to work right now. The cruise is in 7 days. My shore excursions disappeared, I can't rebook online. I'm Platinum, I'm a stockholder. I didn't do this, YOU did. FIX IT. Please."

Carnival agent: "Oh, we're so sorry. We can't fix it that easy."

Me: "Get ahold of shore excursions and put them back please."

Anyway. That was 6 hours ago. They offered me $25 in OBC. You gotta be kidding me. I don't want the $25, I want the $300 excursion back. I can't believe they did this to me and can't fix it.

---rant over----

Granted this has never happened to me in 18 CCL cruises, but it's absolutely inexcusable that they screwed this up and it's my problem?

Oh no! So sorry this happened to you. If it were me, I'd contact Carnival's Brand Ambassador and ask for help with it.

I know what you mean about the excursion thing. My PVP always tells me they can't do anything with the excursions. Those have to be handled by the passenger online. What a mess.

The Guest Care Department is the one you need to talk to. They are the people that have the power to get things done. I speak from experience. You need to call tomorrow morning right when they open at 8:30AM ET. The number is 800-929-6400. Good luck and please let us know when they get this straightened out for you!

Edited by firemanbobswife

That is a nightmare! I would be psychotic.

Time to get tough and not take no for an answer. They're used to people calling and being upset but now is the time to make demands. Just keep on asking to speak to someone higher up.

Really! What a nightmare. They'd hear me in Miami from Tampa area.

My old standard is "you can't help me, ok, then give me your supervisor." If their supervisor can't fix it...repeat until you get someone who can. Don't settle or give up, push it up the chain and eventually they will get tired of transferring you and just fix your problem.

:eek: Don't hang up, ask the agent's name and then keep requesting, nicely but firmly, to be transferred to the next higher up. Always tell the next higher-up the name of the person you just spoke with So sorry this happened so close to your sailing date, especially since you are at work and you really don't have the time to do this. It may be helpful to call late tonight. If you get "accidentally disconnected" call right back. The suggestion about John Heald is a good one, too.

Sadly all Guest Care could come up with was "you should email shoreexcursions@carnival.com" I got an auto-reply:

---- the reply from shore excursions--

We've received your email, and we are happy to process your information and get back to you within 7 days.

Thank you for your patience; we value your business and appreciate this opportunity to assist.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

------------

The ship sails 5 May. Today is 27 April.

I've emailed John H, but this is ridiculous. I might just attend the Stockholders Mtg next year.

I understand people make mistakes. What I can't fathom is how CCL is hostage to its own bureaucracy. Literally Shore Excursions apparently answers to no-one, and there's no-one that can help me. I went up the alleged supervisor food chain to no avail.

I'll write a scathing letter to CCL, but I'm not confident they understand how utterly egregious this is. If they'd do this to a platinum level cruiser... What would a 1st time cruiser do if this happened?

Edited by SurferJoe57

Sadly all Guest Care could come up with was "you should email shoreexcursions@carnival.com" I got an auto-reply, "we'll get back with you within 7 days."

The ship sails 5 May.

I've emailed John H, but this is ridiculous. I might just attend the Stockholders Mtg next year.

I understand people make mistakes. What I can't fathom is how CCL is hostage to its own bureaucracy. Literally Shore Excursions apparently answers to no-one, and there's no-one that can help me. I went up the alleged supervisor food chain to no avail.

I'll write a scathing letter to CCL, but I'm not confident they understand how utterly egregious this is. If they'd do this to a platinum level cruiser... What would a 1st time cruiser do if this happened?

What?! That is utter nonsense! You are trying to give them money and basically they are refusing? It's their fault and they should make this right. I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

Are there any comparable private excursions you can book? I would hate to have to go that route, but at least plan for a back up just in case. This is so not right.

Did you post on JH Facebook page? Seems to work faster. He is in Italy on the vista so consider the time difference. This really stinks. I hope it gets resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is a unique port call - it's a Journey Live concert, the wife doesn't care about Journey - but we're in port 1200-2300.

I suppose we'll just get a day pass at the Colonial Hilton or something.

I'm just upset that I'm being punished for their incompetence.

We just finished a 13-day Trans Atlantic on Holland America and had no problems finding a human being to take problem-ownership.

I am a planner and I can only imagine the stress you are going through right now. I cannot stand for things to go awry. I wish I had something else to tell you.

I agree that John Heald at this point is probably the only person that can help since no one is willing or able to step up. I hope he gets the job done.

What excursion was it if you don't mind me asking?