Cash for sign and sail

Brentonsmom

We are cruising on the Dream this Sunday from New Orleans and my son has a friend going along. She wants to set up cash for her onboard account. I have never set one up this way and I have a few questions.

Can you give them the cash at the port during checkin or do you need to do so onboard?

Is there a minimum amount you need to start it with? I have 125 OBC for the cabin and Carnival said that amount will be split between the 2 passengers since there will be 2 accounts on the cabin. So she will have approx 65 credit coming to her account at some point.

I know she can add cash throughout the cruise if needed, but what is the least she can start it with?

She won't be spending too much, mainly just her gratuities and maybe some misc. items. No alcohol or gambling.

Thank you

Tina

When you do the online check in, select "cash" as the option to fund the account.

You can apply the cash at the port when you check in, or (and this is what I prefer) you can apply the cash at a kiosk or at GS when you are on board.

As far as a minimum amount, I don't believe that there is one (although Carnival has "suggested" amounts). Of course, she can always add cash along as she goes, but IMO, she should just apply whatever she thinks she will spend. If there is anything left at the end (HAHA), she will get that refunded to her.

Edited by Schoifmom

Carnival has a "recommended " amount to put down on a cash account, but we usually start with $200 per person. When our account gets low, guest services will call our cabin to notify us. Then we just add more to it. Never had any issues doing this.

We used cash for our onboard account on our first cruise. I budgeted $150 and already had $60 OBC prior to cruising (total of $210). On the first day, I went to guest services to add the cash and that was good or us the whole week. I even received money back at the end of the cruise.

That said, it really depends on how much you're planning to spend. DH doesn't drink and I may have 3-4 drinks during the whole week so alcohol isn't a big cost for us. We did purchase a few items in the Fun Shops though (the high-end makeup is my weakness... ahhh!) which accounted for most of our onboard purchases.

For your son's friend, definitely make sure she has enough to cover her gratuities (you should be able to find out this amount by looking under your My Cruise Manager account or by calling Carnival directly). Then I would say anywhere from $50 - $100 extra, just to make sure she has enough for souvenirs. Whatever she doesn't spend, she can cash out on the last day.

Edited by iheartmarshall

Great! Thanks so much. I'll suggest she put 100 down. That'll give her about 160..gratuities are 84 so that'll leave her 80ish left and she can add if needed.

Can you withdraw from the kiosk if there is any left or will she need to go to guest services to get any remainder?

Thanks

Tina