Which one should I book?

wdonnieb

I have reservations blocked on two different cruises. I am trying to decide which one to settle on. The dates are close and make no difference. The other issues are as follows.

• Golden Princess: I was on the Golden last year on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I liked it very much and was very satisfied with the ship. This cruise is on the Golden again but is the Southern Caribbean Explorer which embarks from San Juan with stops in a few islands that I have never been.

• Caribbean Princess: This is the same Eastern itinerary that I was on last year but on a new ship. They are the same class and I understand that the only real differences are the new movie screen and the steak house. That plus an extra deck of cabins with another 300 people on board. Is that going to prove to make it more crowded?

My concern is that I would like to see the new ship, but is there enough difference in it to see the same islands again or is the Southern Caribbean and San Juan enough to stay on the same ship. The cabins are both mini-suites in the aft part of the Emerald deck which I am told are prime cabins due to the oversized balcony that is covered. Last year we were on Dolphin and had no cover on the balcony and we were midships under the big GOLDEN PRINCESS sign which was lit up all night illuminating our cabin with light. I like the idea of darkness at night.

Please tell me if you would think that one is better than the other or what you might do if you have experience with these ships or itineraries. The price is basically the same so I am really torn. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sun Princess 1998

Golden Princess 2003

We are researching our next Princess cruise.

My own formula and it has worked well is

Ship 3 points (new gets credit here),cruise line 2 points, route 1 point. Call it over simplifying but for us a t-shirt shop is a t-shirt shop all over the Carribean and elsewhere too for that matter.

I am not trying to start a big argument about how all islands are or aren't alike, just that for us, the ship is the main thing.

I believe it is more like an additional 500 people on CP but didn't take the time to look up the numbers.

All in all, spending your money and vacation days.. I would go new ship old route over old ship new route.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I would go on the Golden to the Southern Caribbean. The ports farther South are incredible - the water is so beautiful down there. It is more port intensive but worth it.

The extra deck on the Caribbean Princess is supposed to add an additional 500 people on the ship. Space ratio is important to me and the few reviews I have read have stated that it does feel more crowded.

------

Edited to add that ports would be more important to me then the ship.

I like the idea of new islands. Having said that, can you afford to go on another trip in two years if so I would take new over old ship. I can always go to the new route next time (unless you or your mate have a medical condition). I have been to the Panmal canal all the way. Eastern and Western Carb, and now I'm planning on Hawaii or Alask next but I may change my mind and do the Carb Princess.

I have a med condition so I want new ports but If I could Iwould try the newest ship I could. This is why I went RCCL Navigator in Aug. It was a new ship but did a new itinery at the same time. f I go to Hawaii, I will go on Island Princess which is also a new ship.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Easy choice

Golden on the Southern itinerary because you will get to visit islands that won't be over run with other cruise passengers. And the diving will be better icon_wink.gif

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

Thank you very much. I think that we are going to book the Goldenn. I appreciate the help!

Donnie

Sun Princess 1998

Golden Princess 2003

Til we sail again on Golden's Southern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;9;19;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I dont see where the CP is enough of a new ship to repeat...Plus there are those extra 500 people and the problems at dinner.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

This is a very interesting discussion. I am very excited about potentially booking the Caribbean Princess for the Eastern Caribbean. I did the Dawn Princess Southern itinerary that went to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Tortola, and St. Thomas, and I loved it. This time I will be travelling with a different person who has not been to any of these places except for St. Thomas, but liked the Eastern itinerary and the idea of going on the newest ship (I think he wants a relaxing time versus the hectic schedule of 5 ports)... but I loved the Southern islands... decisions decisions!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dawn Princess 04/11/2004 ~ Southern Caribbean

? Caribbean Princess 2004 ?

Having recently sailed the Caribbean Princess and followed the comments from subsequent sailings, I think I can quite confidently say that the extra passengers aren't as big an issue as some make it out to be. This is really a 130,000+ ton ship that gets shorted in the volume calculations.

The space ratio doesn't really correlate well with how crowded a ship feels. Traffic flow, choke points, and the logistics of handling people-moving operations like tendering are far more important. Caribbean Princess does quite well in these departments. It looks like any of the deficiencies I noted have been corrected.

That being said, there isn't enough "new ship" cachet compared to the Golden Princess to outweigh the adventure of visiting new islands. I think you've made a good decision.

(Any opinions of the Caribbean Princess that I have expressed that are contrary to others' opinions shall be considered unassailable since I'm heading out to play golf and won't be here to argue about them, plus I've actually been on the ship.)

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

Archived