Does anyone else feel sorry for straight people...?

We've had several threads about LGBT/Friends of Dorothy gatherings. Personally, I feel sorry for straight people because they don't seem to have an equivalent!

For me, I find that the best way I meet new people is at LGBT gatherings, because a) you know everyone attending the event is generally interested in talking to new people and b) it's usually the same people throughout the cruise so you get to know people more deeply.

With more cruise passengers opting for flexible dining (or the buffet), you are less likely to meet new strangers regularly at meals. Furthermore, on the big ships, I feel like you never run into the same person twice. You might have a good one-off conversation here and there, but it doesn't lead to anything.

I feel like I wouldn't know how to socialize on cruises without LGBT meetings! I don't know how the heteros do it! Maybe they're just more extroverted than I am.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

I find it much easier to make new straight friends at the ships bars than at the LGBT meetings as you don't feel yourself getting examined and judged by the rest of the people at the bar! The last few cruises I've been on the rest of the attendees were paired partners and whilst some chatted with me most just ignored me ..

I've only been on one NCL cruise, but the LGBT gatherings were a bust for us. The majority of people on a ship are going to be straight and don't seem to have trouble making friends. Now, I do feel sorry for some of my straight friends when they tell me horror stories about their online dating adventures !

I find it much easier to make new straight friends at the ships bars than at the LGBT meetings as you don't feel yourself getting examined and judged by the rest of the people at the bar! The last few cruises I've been on the rest of the attendees were paired partners and whilst some chatted with me most just ignored me ..

For all the times I've sailed solo, the last cruise had the most couples ever on it! I know the newer NCL ships have the studios but I have yet to find someone actually staying in them who is in the GLBT community.

OP: I don't feel sorry for them at all! I've made some great friends on the sailings and kept in touch with them! :)

The last few cruises I've been on the rest of the attendees were paired partners and whilst some chatted with me most just ignored me ..

Did I chat with you, on Escape? Hope I wasn't rude.

Stephen

Did I chat with you, on Escape? Hope I wasn't rude.

Stephen

We probably did. Escape was a weird one as I'd just come off a 3nt Anthem cruise partying every night and then everything seemed to clash with the LGBT meetings after day 1 and with no proper nightclub on Escape had lots of early nights.

I was just on Epic a couple of weeks ago and still think Shakers is a horrible bar for the meetings, it was packed with pre-dinner drinkers and was a good 10-15mins to get a drink! and was going to suggest we get them to open up the Cavern club earlier for the TA in Oct given numbers.

WE never attend lgbti meetings,we just do our thing and meet heaps of interesting people,hetro or gay.We dont need to know a persons sexuality to enjoy their company,their sexuality is none of our business.

Love this answer! Partner and I also make friends without regards to their sexual orientation.

I'm straight, 110% straight, (I've also got plenty of friends who aren't) I don't get why you need LGBT meetings to meet people.

But then a lot of the time I don't know someone isn't straight (and I guess they don't know my bedroom preferences) till after we become friends.

Lgbti meetings are for gay people to get to see that there are other gay people onboard and to feel comfortable.They are old hat.In my opinion they are also used as a scoping point to see whos single and maybe open to hooking up.

The op s statement about do you feel sorry blah,blah,seems to be a veiled attempt to have a shot at straight people.Or can be construed as that,but i dont think thats what he/she intended.

LGbt people will lose acceptance levels,that have been gained by continuing

to push a thread or ideas of separation.

Acceptance=Acceptance of everybody,and is a double edged sword.You cant have it both ways.

To the OP,If you have a problem socializing,it dosent mean hetros are extroverted,it just means that you feel within yourself that you dont socialize well.:):)

Lgbti meetings are for gay people to get to see that there are other gay people onboard and to feel comfortable.They are old hat.In my opinion they are also used as a scoping point to see whos single and maybe open to hooking up.

The op s statement about do you feel sorry blah,blah,seems to be a veiled attempt to have a shot at straight people.Or can be construed as that,but i dont think thats what he/she intended.

LGbt people will lose acceptance levels,that have been gained by continuing

to push a thread or ideas of separation.

Acceptance=Acceptance of everybody,and is a double edged sword.You cant have it both ways.

To the OP,If you have a problem socializing,it dosent mean hetros are extroverted,it just means that you feel within yourself that you dont socialize well.:):)

I agree with most of what you've said.

But then even for straight people some of these are used as chances to see if you can "Get Lucky", think the under 30 gatherings.

Now I am one of the least extroverted people you will ever meet, one of things I love about cruising is that I can meet people in an atmosphere where you have something in common to open a discussion, now most times these discussions last a few minutes and you never really think about the person again. But sometimes you bond.

We are having visitors in a couple of months, people we met on a cruise (he might be a bigger loaner than me) my kids can't believe that I asked if they needed a bed.

They also don't believe a I spent a whole day talking to them.

My attitude is I don't care what your sexuality is (as long as you don't care what I get up to in the bedroom) as long as you don't rub it in my face.

Agree,agree,agree,and totally agree with the rubbing in face.

Everyone's different,we would be horrified on an all-gay cruise,not our cup of tea.

But we are also a bit different in the fact that one of us was born a hermaphrodite,and is trans-gendered.And has been through a lifetime of surgery,thank-fully not anymore.

PPHHHEWWW,there its out there and in the right forum.HAPPY.:):)

Agree,agree,agree,and totally agree with the rubbing in face.

Everyone's different,we would be horrified on an all-gay cruise,not our cup of tea.

But we are also a bit different in the fact that one of us was born a hermaphrodite,and is trans-gendered.And has been through a lifetime of surgery,thank-fully not anymore.

PPHHHEWWW,there its out there and in the right forum.HAPPY.:):)

Somethings I like having rubbed in my face.:eek:

as long as you don't rub it in my face.

Wow - I would have thought we'd be beyond that by now in 2016. That "not in my face" stuff has been used to justify everything under the sun, from anti-gay laws to gaybashing.

** SMH **

Wow - I would have thought we'd be beyond that by now in 2016. That "not in my face" stuff has been used to justify everything under the sun, from anti-gay laws to gaybashing.

** SMH **

Hello,EARTH calling SEJ,EARTH calling SEJ,

that was a tounge in cheek comment by gut.Lets do it by numbers.

Im a lesbian,ok

Rubbing face in it,ok

(are we connecting)

Um its what lesbians do:rolleyes:;)

Are you with us sej,

Hello,EARTH calling SEJ,EARTH calling SEJ,

that was a tounge in cheek comment by gut.Lets do it by numbers.

Im a lesbian,ok

Rubbing face in it,ok

(are we connecting)

Um its what lesbians do:rolleyes:;)

Are you with us sej,

No sense of humour anymore....

That's the worlds biggest problem.

Tell me about it,how the hell did we get to gay-bashing.:confused:

I have almost been accused by a person by looking at a persons past posts,and stalking.:rolleyes:

I do this to get an insight into their quirk,frame of mind,intelligence,etc,etc.;)

Sometimes a post could be highly intelligent,with some quirk thrown in.:)

Its called research.:cool:

Now wheres my paint by numbers scrap book.

Edited by mrs and mrs

We gave up on LGBT type events on ships years ago. Attendance was always negligible and what few would show up seemed more interested in who they could hook up with. We have met a lot of great folks on cruises, both gay and straight. Have even made some life-long friendships on board.

I agree with most of what you've said.

But then even for straight people some of these are used as chances to see if you can "Get Lucky", think the under 30 gatherings.

Now I am one of the least extroverted people you will ever meet, one of things I love about cruising is that I can meet people in an atmosphere where you have something in common to open a discussion, now most times these discussions last a few minutes and you never really think about the person again. But sometimes you bond.

We are having visitors in a couple of months, people we met on a cruise (he might be a bigger loaner than me) my kids can't believe that I asked if they needed a bed.

They also don't believe a I spent a whole day talking to them.

My attitude is I don't care what your sexuality is (as long as you don't care what I get up to in the bedroom) as long as you don't rub it in my face.

I agree, being a middle aged solo cruiser, I have met and reconnected with people I have met on cruises. I have also attended the single gatherings. Honestly, wouldn't mind if they put them all together and have people interested in meeting people gatherings. I have met some wonderful people on cruises, probably one of the reasons I choose this mode of Travel. [emoji1]

We gave up on LGBT type events on ships years ago. Attendance was always negligible and what few would show up seemed more interested in who they could hook up with.

Is that a bad thing?

Is that a bad thing?

Nope. No judgment here. Just not our reason for going. We would show up to meet potential new friends and we would either find ourselves alone or ignored by the handful of others when they discovered we were a couple and not interested in a hook up.