It's My Destiny, 3/12/06 - 1st Solo Cruise!

MNJewels

I just booked as part of a singles group on the Carnival Destiny for 3/12/06 - 3/19/06 out of San Juan. I am so excited!!

Anyone else going on this one? Great ports of call and a great ime of year for me to get away to the islands!:D

Hi Kate,

Did you book through the singles cruise company?

You are not alone - this will be my first solo vacation and my first singles cruise! I am excited and nervous at the same time - it will be an adventure, to say the least! :p

Yes I booked through singles cruise too. I have read lots of good reviews about their trips so I keep reminding myself that I have nothing to worry about. We still have over four months until the cruise but I am already planning what to pack and which excursions I want to do. I can't wait!:)

Are you going to San Juan the day of the cruise or the day before? Also, are you doing the roomate assignment thing or did you get your own cabin?

I'm so glad someone finally responded to my post (I guess it only has been a few days) but I felt like I was the only one that had book this one. This is my first time traveling alone too. Silly worrying, huh?

I haven't booked my airfare yet but I am planning on coming into San Juan on Saturday. There is a woman that posts on these boards that is an experienced cruiser with this company and she recommends coming in a day or two early if you can because there is a pre-cruise party where you can begin to get to know others in the group. I want to do that to get to know people and to check out San Juan.

I got my own cabin because I have had my fair share of room mate issues in my lifetime! And I just need my own space. The extra cost is worth it to me. What about you?

Regarding excursions...I've heard it's more fun to book the excursions the company is organizing because then you are going with the group. But you have the option of going on any excursion. I am up for the group ones if they are excursions I want to go on! I don't know when we find that out though - maybe when the message board for this group goes live?? They told me that would happen about 65 days before our cruise - around the end of December. What excursions are you interested in?

How many days until we leave??? :D

I haven't booked my airfare either. I was hoping to use airline miles but have been told that there are no more award ticket seats available for the dates. So I guess I will be buying a ticket and I would like to get to San Juan a day early too. I don't want to miss out on any of the group activities.

I got a private cabin too. Having a difficult roomate could ruin the whole experience, and I didn't want to take any chances. Plus, I want to be free to sleep late or come in late at night and don't want to worry about bothering another person if they were trying to sleep or having company.

I think we get some sort of a list of excursions for the singles group around the time that the message board opens at the end of December. I agree, it will be more fun to go on the excursions with the group. I would like to do some snorkeling, maybe a beach day somewhere just to relax in the sun all day, a sunset cruise, and the river tubing in Dominica looks really good. But I guess I will have to wait and see what tours the group is doing.

I live in Boston and it is starting to get colder here every day. I wish we were going sooner!

Hi Kate - I know what you mean about the temps. I am in Minnesota and it is getting cold and blustry. I want to check out my airline miles too - they are with Northwest Airlines. Probably won't be able to get an award ticket but I gotta give it a try.

Have you been on a cruise before? I went on my 1st one last year with three of my friends. Our ports of call were Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Ochos Rios. They can't go this year - one just had a baby, one went back to grad school and the other can't afford it. Thus, the singles cruise for me!

Please remember that you cannot post the name --- even if you "mask it" on the CC message boards.. those are just "the rules".. I'm leaving this one alone for now but please avoid the masked references to the agency you are booking with.. also posts asking people to email you for the name of the agency will be removed as those often are posts from TAs soliciting the cruise and we have NO way of knowing!!!

Thanks Caroline I know why my posts were delete and won't have anyone e-mail me anymore.Just Iam not a travel agent and never will be one.I was just trying to help cruisers with there questions.Iam about to go on my 11th cruise on saturday so u know alot about cruising and was only trying helpful to cruisers who haven't cruised before I meant no harm.

Jen/ct

ps.I'll be on this cruise too

HEY YOU GALS! Have an awesome time!!! I just got back from my 1st solo cruise. All in all and great trip, but take this one piece of advice....TRUST NO ONE. And be cautious about being friendly (even if it's just your nature) to crew members of the male persuasion. I can't say much more here, but I just wanted to warn you..I know some of you are veteran cruisers. It wasn't my first cruise either, but it was the first cruise where I found myself trapped in a less-than-pleasant situation. Some people like to take advantage of single travellers. Watch out for each other, you guys! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return.

-Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jewels

This is my second cruise too. First cruise was last March on Victory, same itinerary as yours. Cozumel was the best! I went with the man I was dating (now ex). All of my other friends are either married with children or just can't afford to go this year.

When I go to the Carnival website and search for cruises, ours does not show up anymore. Does this mean it is already sold out?

Kate

I just found this post. I've been researching on singles cruises and am deciding between 2. They're with 2 different singles agencies but on the same date. One is the Destiny that you gals are booked on and the other is the Costa Magica out of Ft. Lauderdale. I like the ports on the Destiny, but I would love to try Costa.

This will be my 1st solo cruise since I'm recently separated. I've been trying to decide whether I should book a cabin for myself or share. I'm used to balcony's so getting one for myself is almost double the price.

I'll post back when I decide which cruise I'll book.

Hi single cruisers, You guys couldn't have picked a better deal anywhere. I've been doing these single cruises since I joined the ranks of the single lifestyle about 5 years ago and I've been on this itinerary and ship before and it's great. I can't name names without violating this site's rules, but you've made a great choice on everything. Needless to say, I'll be on this cruise with you guys. We'll have a private internet site to talk to one another prior to the cruise without all the rules of a public site, but this is a good public site to discuss some things until then. If you have any questions that doesn't violate the rules of this site, I'll try to answer them. There'll be lots of repeat singles cruisers as well as new ones. This is not only a great itinerary, but the people that go on these singles cruises are some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere. I've been on several of these cruises and I've made so many new friends for life, it's almost unbelieveable. Maybe it's because cruising attracts only the nicest people or maybe it's because the nicest people are the ones who enjoy cruising. Whatever it is, you're in for a great time. Talk to you guys soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I must admit that I did not read through this whole thread but I just had to post anyway!!

Destiny was my first Solo cruise and just the title of this thread brought back such fond memories!!!!

I have never gone as part of a singles group but have traveled on a cruise alone a few times - You should have a blast!! I know I did :D

My friend and i booked this cruise and had no idea it was a singles one! We are both single though :) and female. We have every intention of just going to relax, but it willl more fun to know that there are some singles and hopefully people to flirt with just for fun.

Hi SweetPik2,

The cruise isn't just for singles - there is a group of singles that will be on it. We booked the trip through a company that has to go un-named here otherwise this message will get deleted. But if you Google "singles cruises" you will find a bunch of companies.

They have arranged a bunch of activities for us and it is a great way for people like me to go on a cruise by myself but want other folks to hang around with.

Archived