Disappointed in RC so we cancelled and booked Carnival

I think OP came here to ruffle some feathers and "prove a point." I'm with the others in saying I'm not really sure what OP wants here.

Mods ought to just close this because every recommendation given to OP, he has just given a snarky, short response. If you aren't happy with RCI, don't muck up our boards, just go hang out with the carnival folks.

Mods, ball is in your court.

Having trouble following how this all ties together:

- RC doesn't sell insurance to Canadians

- You both have ongoing medical problems

- You can't afford the insurance to "put up front" (not sure what that means?)

- You want to talk to the same person all the time (note that no one person is going to be available to you all the time, so this isn't going to work with any line)

- This is your fourth cruise

- You don't have a credit card

- You don't think your conditions are severe enough that hospitalization might be necessary during the cruise

- You're concerned that someone in your family might die during the cruise

- You're concerned that someone in your wife's family might be injured during the cruise

- Your wife can ask her TA sister questions, but only after decisions have been made, and the sister doesn't seem to be giving correct information on when travel insurance is paid.

- Something unspecified is too expensive

I think you've had buyer's remorse concerning your RC cruise, and you're all over the place with excuses -- even though you don't need to explain to us. Whom are you trying to convince?

My first suggestion: Book your insurance with a third party insurance carrier. Your TA sister-in-law can probably recommend one to you. Benefits: This will cost less than booking through the cruise line, and you can check them out ahead of time to see that you're choosing a solid company. Going with a third-party carrier will allow you to insure JUST what you feel is important (for example, we book only medical and evacuation insurance, not lost luggage or trip interruption).

My second suggestion: Be sure you understand exactly what insurance will /won't pay. If you yourself become sick, it'll fly you and your wife home. If a family member dies or is sick, it will not pay for you to return home -- after all, you're not going to be able to change that situation. Note, too, that you can't leave a cruise just any old time; you'd have to wait until you're on an island, which could be a day or two (and then you'd have to be able to book a last-minute plane flight for two). It'd be money out of your pocket even with insurance.

I wish you luck with your decisions, but regardless of the line you choose, I think you need to do some reading on what's actually offered.