Summit Review 4/16/2016 - 4/23/21016

cruisingdelt

Here is a quick review of the subject cruise. Our cabin number was 8124.

Arrived at the port (San Juan Pan American) around 1200 or so. The longest wait was the security line the rest was a breeze. Boarded and used the time to book some excursions and to get dinner reservations at Q-sine (Tuscan grill was booked). Did get a 20% discount. Quickly noticed that many of the public areas had new carpet.

Went to our room and realized it was in very good shape with no rust, mold or missing grout in the bathroom. Went out to tour the ship and headed up to the new outdoor movie area. it looks very nice and is a great place to read in the morning. We did not do the food and movie thing but did watch some of The Force Awakens again. Only a minor comment, the black metal frames get hot in the sun. Overall the ship is good condition if you account for it's age. Rust will always win after many years but the amount of rust was much less than before the refurb. and it was spotty, not in large areas. Wooden hand rails and supports need some work and varnish. They were being worked on daily.

Food

Attentiveness and service were still excellent in the specialty restaurants. Qsine was still fun and we have yet to try everything. Tuscan Grill was also very good and the menu was different than our last visit on a Solstice ship. The "homemade" pasta was very nice, warning-and heavy, and the service was super. A shout out to Jean Pierre and Jean Alian. The MDR was not up to the levels I recall. The menu seemed a bit shorter and the staff is overworked. The food was very nice but the wait staff just had too much to do. The select dining used to be on deck 5 and it is now on deck 4. I am guessing more people are choosing the select option.

Room

Just a shout out to Franco and Sahri. We had a few special requests which they took care of without an upfront tip. They kept the room up great and were always around to greet you and assure that all was going well. They received some extra $$$ at the end.

Misc.

Music levels everywhere were such that you could have a conversation without raising your voice, even at the Martini Bar.

We both had the premium package and had no problem getting a drink. All the bar service was prompt and professional.

Captains Club Happy Hour was still great. We don't go for the drinks but to meet people. Yes you can meet people anywhere but when some are gathering everyday at the same time it is a bit more conducive.

Crew and staff are all still smiling and attentive to your needs, one thing that we hope never changes.

The crowd is still older but is getting younger so the marketers appear to be doing the correct thing (we are part of the older crowd)

Still many tuxes and suits on chic nights.

Internet is much improved. We only saw daily or unlimited packages. As Elite we had a 90 minute coupon and when you register you are given the 90 minutes. The speed was such that we used it every day for e-mails and other misc items and had time left. Great job!

Bottom line is that we still like the product. Hope this was helpful.

Great review. By any chances do you have pictures of the ship to show? Thanks, I sail out in June.:)

Have not even uploaded pix to my computer yet, sorry. Let's leave it as a surprise. When do you cruise? DW and I are back on the Summit on June 19. Enjoy your trip.

Curious, we had thought of taking this cruise since it coincided with our children's school break. We opted for a summer Alaskan Celebrity cruise instead. Out if curiosity, were there many families on board or only a few?

I was on this cruise as well and I have to say that one thing that I felt could of been better was the cruise director/activities manager. Our last time on the Summit I thought Ken & Justin were funny, energetic and had a great rapport with the guests. The new CD John and AD Liam were rather dull IMHO - John's energy level was on par with a college professor teaching quantum mechanics, and Liam was so disinterested in what he was doing that he couldn't even do one trivia session without either getting distracted by his computer/beeper/phone or just being unprepared for the activity in general - at one trivia in particular in Revelations, we arrived about 10 minutes early to grab a seat, Liam was about 10 minutes late and took almost another 15 minutes to try and get setup....overall very poor experience with those two, Celebrity can do much better.

Other than that the Summit was looking fine coming out of drydock, the new chairs on the pool were nice, along with the renovated Solarium. Looking forward to going back on her next year!