Liberty problems

Was there a pilot on board Liberty? I can't remember if they use one or not. If there was a pilot, it was the pilot who was in control of the ship when they shoved off the pier. Most places I've been to on Carnival, use a pilot.

Pilots do not generally take over physical control of the ship from the captain. They are there to advise.

Whether or not there was a pilot onboard (and if not, then the Captain has obtained "pilotage" for that port from the local government), the pilot NEVER is "in control" of a ship. The pilot is an adviser to the Captain on local conditions, plain and simple. A Captain never relinquishes his command of the ship, except in the Panama Canal, or when entering/leaving a drydock. The pilot, as granted by the Captain, may give orders to the bridge team, but he will never touch a control of any kind on the ship, and the Captain can either countermand the pilot or even relieve him completely, solely at the Captain's discretion. Typically, for cruise ships, the Captain will be on the bridge wing with the pilot at the maneuvering stand there when docking/undocking, and the Captain will be controlling at least the bow and stern thrusters, if not the propellers and rudders (Captain's choice). The pilot may give a command, but if the Captain feels it is incorrect, he is the one operating the thrusters, so he can adjust the response to what HE feels is proper.

I guess things are different on a cruise ship than it was when I was in the Navy. Of course the Captain is always responsible and never relinquishes command of a ship. The captain or the conning officer, never touched the controls.

I assumed that to be true also on cruise ships. I had no idea the captain actually touched any controls. I knew the captain is also on the bridge when going into port. I assume the port authority requires pilots because they are supposed to know the waters. So would it be true to say that all engines are now controlled at the bridge on modern ships?

Anyhow, thanks for the insight on how cruise ships work.

Just an FYI for those who are interested. In the old days, engine speed was not controlled at the bridge. We had a helmsman and a Lee helmsman. When the conning officer gave a command to adjust speed, the lee helmsman would telegraph the revolutions to the boiler rooms and the engine rooms. The boiler rooms would supply the steam and the engine rooms would adjust the prop revolutions. One boiler room and one engine room per screw.

Edited by oldvato

Why would that suprise you? We not only have a Navy but Army, Air Force. and Marines. And we have every branch based here in Cozumel.

I've always known that Mexico has an army, and an air force. I didn't know they had Marines. I found out that Mexico had a Navy when I first visited Progresso on my first cruise several years ago. But I'm wondering if it's more like a coast guard than a sea going Navy. I don't think I've ever seen a Mexican Navy ship in open waters and, I've been to the Caribbean lots of times. Just curious.

I guess things are different on a cruise ship than it was when I was in the Navy. Of course the Captain is always responsible and never relinquishes command of a ship. The captain or the conning officer, never touched the controls.

I assumed that to be true also on cruise ships. I had no idea the captain actually touched any controls. I knew the captain is also on the bridge when going into port. I assume the port authority requires pilots because they are supposed to know the waters. So would it be true to say that all engines are now controlled at the bridge on modern ships?

Anyhow, thanks for the insight on how cruise ships work.

Just an FYI for those who are interested. In the old days, engine speed was not controlled at the bridge. We had a helmsman and a Lee helmsman. When the conning officer gave a command to adjust speed, the lee helmsman would telegraph the revolutions to the boiler rooms and the engine rooms. The boiler rooms would supply the steam and the engine rooms would adjust the prop revolutions. One boiler room and one engine room per screw.

The typical bridge team for a cruise ship is the Captain, the Staff Captain (also fully licensed to command), the Senior and Junior Officers of the Watch, the helmsman and a lookout.

Yes, since the '80's, all merchant ships have gone to bridge control of the engines, but then again, most ships are motor ships these days, steam ships are a bit of a dinosaur. Maneuvering in the Engine Control Room is like watching paint dry, there is nothing to do unless something goes south, which is why the Chief Engineer, the Staff Chief Engineer, the Chief Electrical Engineer, and the watch engineer are there.

During arrival/departure, the helmsman will be handling the wheel, and the Junior officer will be controlling the engine speeds. Thrusters lose nearly all effectiveness when the ship is above about 3 knots, so these are not yet a factor. Once close to the dock, typically the Captain will shift the controls to the bridge wing station closest to the dock, and he can control the steering, engines, and thrusters. Sometimes these are separate controls, and sometimes they are combined in a joystick control. The joystick is more common on "azipod" propelled ships, since the propulsion and steering are done by the same equipment.

Most ports require a pilot, but many cruise ship Captains have been coming to the same ports for so long, they will study and receive "pilotage" or a pilot's license for that port, taking the same examinations the local pilots have to pass.

The pilot may be given "the conn" by the Captain, but as I say, he can revoke it at any time. Since the pilot is not a company employee, he has no authority to touch any control, though if they know the bridge officers well, they will ask permission to do simple things like changing the range scale on the radars.

On merchant ships with much smaller crews than cruise ships, I have seen controls for the anchor windlasses and the gangway winch on the bridge wings as well, allowing the Captain to control just about everything he needs to dock/anchor the ship.

The typical bridge team for a cruise ship is the Captain, the Staff Captain (also fully licensed to command), the Senior and Junior Officers of the Watch, the helmsman and a lookout.

Yes, since the '80's, all merchant ships have gone to bridge control of the engines, but then again, most ships are motor ships these days, steam ships are a bit of a dinosaur. Maneuvering in the Engine Control Room is like watching paint dry, there is nothing to do unless something goes south, which is why the Chief Engineer, the Staff Chief Engineer, the Chief Electrical Engineer, and the watch engineer are there.

During arrival/departure, the helmsman will be handling the wheel, and the Junior officer will be controlling the engine speeds. Thrusters lose nearly all effectiveness when the ship is above about 3 knots, so these are not yet a factor. Once close to the dock, typically the Captain will shift the controls to the bridge wing station closest to the dock, and he can control the steering, engines, and thrusters. Sometimes these are separate controls, and sometimes they are combined in a joystick control. The joystick is more common on "azipod" propelled ships, since the propulsion and steering are done by the same equipment.

Thanks for that info. I always wondered how things were done on the bridge of a cruise ship. Very informative.

Edited by oldvato

They often work with Special Ops from the USA for the Drug War, They are probably much like the US Coast Guard, but then Mexico is not likely to get involved in any international wars. Our army and marines are highly involved in the Drug war and they risk their lives on a regular basis. Mexico has mandatory service for young men and voluntary service for females.

Leaving tomorrow on Liberty. Just received this email:

Greetings folks,

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Carnival Liberty and would like to take this opportunity to provide you with some information regarding your cruise.

Carnival Liberty has experienced a technical issue with the ship's bow thrusters. The bow thrusters are used to safely maneuver the ship during docking procedures. Rest assured, all the other ship systems, hotel services and safety equipment are functioning normally.

While our teams have established a repair plan, it will take some additional time to complete this work. In the interim, we have secured tug boat assistance here in Galveston and Cozumel which will allow us to safely and reliably complete our docking maneuvers. We are confident we will be able to visit Cozumel as planned for this cruise. We wanted to make you aware of the above information in the event you notice a tug boat assisting us in and out of port.

As always, our officers, staff and crew are looking forward to providing you with a fun and memorable cruise experience.

From what I understand, the Liberty is scheduled next cruise to dock at Punta Langosta (correct spelling this time I hope) with tugs... Closer to downtown for the shoppers!

If this is true, how far of a walk is it to Carnival's Puerta Maya village.

If this is true, how far of a walk is it to Carnival's Puerta Maya village.

You wouldn't want to walk to Puerta Maya if they dock downtown at Punta Langosta. Punta Langosta is walking distance to everything in town. It's by far better located.

Edited by gtalum

We do like the shops at PM. So we would have to take a cab?

You can walk it but it's a long walk. You also may not be able to get into Puerta Maya without a card for one of the ships docked there. I don't remember where they check the cards.

Check the shops you like. Many of them have locations at the mall across the street from Punta Langosta as well.

Edited by gtalum

You can walk it but it's a long walk. You also may not be able to get into Puerta Maya without a card for one of the ships docked there. I don't remember where they check the cards.

Check the shops you like. Many of them have locations at the mall across the street from Punta Langosta as well.

They don't check cards. Tourists walk right in. Lots of people walk across the street to the shops along the waterfront too.

The exit, or in this case entrance is at the palapa walkway where the cab line is.

To the OP, it is a decent walk, and it's hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just know that I love when they dock at Punta Langosta. There's so much more to do within walking distance there, and can hang at Senor Frog's until just before last call to board...