Voom Surf vs Regular Internet Pkg...Differences?

My husband and I were just discussing what we would need to pay for to be able to upload our photos to my online backup. That is the only thing we will do internet-wise while on vacay, as we like to unplug.

We will be on Adventure in 2 weeks in the Caribbean.

We figured out that we will only need to upload photos on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights (we have multiple camera cards). I wish we could just pay for a certain number of hours. Hmmm...

If we decide to pay for Tuesday-Friday, for example, do they prorate the charges? We do have a bunch of onboard credit to use, so this isn't a major concern.

My understanding from reading the prior posts on this thread is that I will need surf and stream (higher-tier option) to upload photos. Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

We will be on Adventure in 2 weeks in the Caribbean.

We figured out that we will only need to upload photos on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights (we have multiple camera cards). I wish we could just pay for a certain number of hours. Hmmm...

If we decide to pay for Tuesday-Friday, for example, do they prorate the charges? We do have a bunch of onboard credit to use, so this isn't a major concern.

My understanding from reading the prior posts on this thread is that I will need surf and stream (higher-tier option) to upload photos. Is that correct?

No, the SURF package will suffice. As of now Adventure doesn't have the higher speed Voom and even if it did you are not using any BW intensive apps - uploading a photo takes space yes, but you are in no hurry (you can just let it upload all night if needed). You do have to make the uploads reasonable - if you have GBs of data (or even 100+MB), wait to get home for something like that.

You can't get a package for just a few days in the middle of the cruise. You can get a package for the whole cruise, for a day(much more expensive) and sometimes for the remainder of the cruise (like last 4 days).

Given the current pricing, the SURF package (1 device) bought pre-cruise is the best deal most of the time.

We are going on a 12 night Baltic cruise next month. We are diamond plus and wondering the best way to purchase Internet.

If I pre book online at 30 % off its $110 for 11 days. If I wait and purchase on board how much will it cost for the 11 days with my diamond plus coupon?

I'm confused?

Edited by carla748

We are going on a 12 night Baltic cruise next month. We are diamond plus and wondering the best way to purchase Internet.

If I pre book online at 30 % off its $110 for 11 days. If I wait and purchase on board how much will it cost for the 11 days with my diamond plus coupon?

For now, the on board price has been reported to be $3 more per day ($13 vs. $10) for the SURF package. For D+ the discount should $40 so you are better off waiting to book on board (the discount is bigger than the upfront savings, $40 vs $33 (11x3)). All of this assumes the prices stay as currently reported.

Edit: the math gets a little closer at 12 days ($40 discount on board vs $36 saving upfront) - the length of your sailing.

Edited by Biker19

Jeez i hope this is Surf? Because if this is Stream thats pretty slow.

TG

Like Biker said, it could have been on the edge of the O3b limited service area. We need more data points to be sure of the differences between surf and stream.

Like Biker said, it could have been on the edge of the O3b limited service area. We need more data points to be sure of the differences between surf and stream.

He posted again today much further south in another thread with the same numbers, but don't know which package was bought.

For now, the on board price has been reported to be $3 more per day ($13 vs. $10) for the SURF package. For D+ the discount should $40 so you are better off waiting to book on board (the discount is bigger than the upfront savings, $40 vs $33 (11x3)). All of this assumes the prices stay as currently reported.

Edit: the math gets a little closer at 12 days ($40 discount on board vs $36 saving upfront) - the length of your sailing.

If its $40 per Diamond Plus Member, wouldn't it be better to purchase X number of days with $40 discount, then if the 2nd member is in the cabin, or a couple is also Diamond Plus..then take another $40 off of X number of days. Or I believe you can still get 2 free days being Diamond Plus.

If its $40 per Diamond Plus Member, wouldn't it be better to purchase X number of days with $40 discount, then if the 2nd member is in the cabin, or a couple is also Diamond Plus..then take another $40 off of X number of days. Or I believe you can still get 2 free days being Diamond Plus.

You can't buy x days - you have to buy the package for the whole cruise or as the pic above shows for the remainder of the cruise (though that option is not always given) or you can buy one day at a time (then the per day rate is much higher). You can get two days as a D+.

Hi cruiser, just to let you know Jewel did not get Voom. We were on her just after Yard. The system now is much better than the old one she had before but about 50% speed of voom. We had Voom on allure in Jan and super fast. Bob

Just read elsewhere that Jewel actually does have Voom. How can I find out for sure?

Just read elsewhere that Jewel actually does have Voom. How can I find out for sure?

The cruise line will tell you that all ships have Voom. All we can go by are the firsthand reports from passengers.

Edited by clarea

There was one report from someone on board that reported a download speed of 2MB which would indicate VOOM availability but then it was contradicted by other reports. The ping (500+ms) from recent reporting would indicate lack of VOOM (ping should be in the 200-300ms range). Don't go by folks saying WiFi works great - that doesn't mean anything without solid reported numbers behind the claims. Things could change with the next sailing if they do something on turnaround day.

I wonder if they'll have any more specials - there's usually a cut off where they don't offer packages any more.

Day 5 and can confirm that the "special" is still being offered. A consistent $12.99 drop per day [emoji41]making it $37.97 today

Glad I checked in. We will be on Freedom in October, unlike many on here, I take my laptop for work purposes, not watching YouTube videos. I will go ahead and get the Voom package.