Best Sport Fishing ports and charters

styme123

I know another fishing question;) I've been doing some searches but haven't found what I was looking for.

We are going to Alaska on July 9 with Princess. We will port in Juneau (11hrs), Ketchikan(6hrs) and Skagway (13hrs). My older son and his GF wants to go fishing off a boat, mostly interested in King salmon I believe. Princess has an excursion out of Ketchikan for 4-5 hours on a 6 person boat for $199. I was leaning toward that thinking with such a short time in port, it might be safer to book through the cruise in case there were any issues with getting back to the boat they would wait for them versus booking a private tour. It doesn't give him any real time in port but there wasn't much he wanted to do there versus the train ride in Skagway and Mendenhall in Juneau. One thing I thought was strange was that a bunch of boat don't let you hold the poles and fish. You each get a "turn" reeling a fish in once it's hooked? Is that a common practice? A bunch of the comments in the reviews on TA of different charters said they went out and didn't even hold a pole? more of fish watching than catching? It also seemed like different charters had different limits of fish you could catch. I wonder why it varies? For that much money to catch one fish? When I started looking at the reviews a bunch of them seemed disorganized, not showing up on time, not answering emails/phone calls, or cutting fish times.:confused:

So here are the questions:

Which is the best port to fish out of?

Any favorite charters in each port?

How easy is it to get a charter the day you get to port?

Book private or cruise ship?

What should I be mindful of/looking for when trying to choose a charter?

TIA for all your great advice:)

Most sport salmon fishing is done by trolling and guides don't want you holding the rod for a variety of reasons not the least of which is people get tired of holding the rod, let it rest on the gunnels of the boat, the lines chafes and the line snaps or the whole rod and reel goes overboard if a salmon strikes and a person has let the rod rest on the gunnels....rod, reels and line can easily run $300 and more. However the other big reason you don't hold the rod until the fish hits is because the guide is likely using down riggers with a 10 to 20 lb cannon ball. For my money Ketchican is the better port for fishing. I am familiar with Alaska Strike Zone charters having known the family for many years.

Edited by Putterdude

Most sport salmon fishing is done by trolling and guides don't want you holding the rod for a variety of reasons not the least of which is people get tired of holding the rod, let it rest on the gunnels of the boat, the lines chafes and the line snaps or the whole rod and reel goes overboard if a salmon strikes and a person has let the rod rest on the gunnels....rod, reels and line can easily run $300 and more. However the other big reason you don't hold the rod until the fish hits is because the guide is likely using down riggers with a 10 to 20 lb cannon ball. For my money Ketchican is the better port for fishing. I am familiar with Alaska Strike Zone charters having known the family for many years.

Putterdude: That makes a lot of sense:) thanks for the great explanation. I looked up Strike on TA, they didn't have many reviews. Are they newer?

Putterdude: That makes a lot of sense:) thanks for the great explanation. I looked up Strike on TA, they didn't have many reviews. Are they newer?

No, they have been in biz for more than 20 years. Luke the son skippered for his dad, Lewis, for many years and about 4 or 5 years ago Lewis went into semi-retirement and Luke took over the biz. Lewis did continue to guide a few long time clients but his wife has some health issues and I haven't asked him but I rather suspect that he isn't even doing that anymore.

i think there's a significant "what the hell" in that your charter operator is licensed to carry 6 persons but to avoid tangling lines only 4 lines will be in the water while trolling; port, starboard, 2 off the stern.

be very clear about the fishing experience you desire.

i think there's a significant "what the hell" in that your charter operator is licensed to carry 6 persons but to avoid tangling lines only 4 lines will be in the water while trolling; port, starboard, 2 off the stern.

be very clear about the fishing experience you desire.

I think though if I book through the cruise you can't really speak to the charter directly about what you are expecting out of the fishing trip. I wonder if that is the "norm" with the poles or if they just do it like that because it's easier for the captain/deck hands. I think my son would be okay with that as long as everyone on the charter had their own pole. Like you said though bottom-dragger why have 6 people on the charter and only 4 poles? doesn't seem fair :(

IMHO trolling for salmon is about as much fun as watching paint dry. At least if you book a charter in Juneau you might get to see some whales while waiting for the rod to bob. I prefer bottom fishing, especially in Ketchican. The halibut are smaller but tasty and you never know what you'll pull up. I've caught halibut, cod, rockfish, ratfish, and sculpin among others. At least you get to hold a rod and there's usually plenty of action. There's one tour that takes you to an island and cooks your catch over a wood fire....yum!

IMHO trolling for salmon is about as much fun as watching paint dry. At least if you book a charter in Juneau you might get to see some whales while waiting for the rod to bob. I prefer bottom fishing, especially in Ketchican. The halibut are smaller but tasty and you never know what you'll pull up. I've caught halibut, cod, rockfish, ratfish, and sculpin among others. At least you get to hold a rod and there's usually plenty of action. There's one tour that takes you to an island and cooks your catch over a wood fire....yum!

I aw that one charter too! I forgot what the name was right now, but they have a camp set up and cook your food along with serving some other goodies. Someone else on another thread mentioned the same thing about the benefit of going out of Juneau at least if you don't catch fish, you can possibly see more whales than in Ketchikan.

Not sure if you are going to be in the Anchorage area coming or going, but you can fish is Ship Creek, right near the tourist part of town....for Kings in mid-to-late May....and you can rent poles and buy a license very close to where you fish.....In June, you can charter a river boat and catch Salmon....

Not sure if you are going to be in the Anchorage area coming or going, but you can fish is Ship Creek, right near the tourist part of town....for Kings in mid-to-late May....and you can rent poles and buy a license very close to where you fish.....In June, you can charter a river boat and catch Salmon....

No we won't be up that far:(

we're in the same boat, figuratively. jigging for bottom-fish, halibut, cod, or rockfish is so much more a pleasure than having to listen to that trolling motor. everyone gets a pole and everyone can hear your incredibly wry comments about their incredibly poor fishing skills.

once the lovely mrs b-d and i did a double hook up. she had a 90lb halibut on her side of the boat and i had an 80lb halibut on my side. a trolling motor would have masked the colorful conversation about who was to help whom.

both fish were eventually able to attend our dinner.

the best bottom-fishing will be in the later half of the year. they will congregate near the mouth of streams where (cover you eyes if you're sensitive) the carcasses of the spawned out salmon will wash out.

i think Homer is still the best port for recreational halibut fishing.

I think though if I book through the cruise you can't really speak to the charter directly about what you are expecting out of the fishing trip. I wonder if that is the "norm" with the poles or if they just do it like that because it's easier for the captain/deck hands. I think my son would be okay with that as long as everyone on the charter had their own pole. Like you said though bottom-dragger why have 6 people on the charter and only 4 poles? doesn't seem fair :(

4 lines really are the normal to avoid a tangle while trolling, esp when someone hooks up. the lowest certification for a commercial boat is 6 passengers. the instructor leaves the solution to this problem for the students.

"the large print giveth and the small print taketh away" step right up, tom waites

Edited by bottom-dragger

Laughing Husky - any suggestions for fishing in Anchorage late August?

I've fished in Ketchikan twice and due to short port times have booked through the cruise line. It's the only excursion I've booked through the cruise line in years. On both charters we trolled so no one had his or her own pole. Each time there have been four poles in the water at one time. My experience is that it's been a very fair process with an order to go in and each time there's a strike the fisher whose turn it is gets the pole so each person gets the same number of "tries" to catch. I've caught at least three salmon on each trip. I'll be fishing again next year, but this time I'll have more time in Ketchikan so plan to book independently.

Deck hands? The boats I've been on are small and it's just the captain and passengers. Maybe I've been fortunate, but we've been pleased with our captains and the effort they've gone through to find the fish and make sure each passenger catches.

Good description! Thank you!

Good description! Thank you!

Thanks, just the old fisherman coming out in me. I also have a son who has guided professionally and he is so fussy that I prefer not to go out with him. :eek: a That said he is designated by Canada Fisheries and Oceans as one of the top 25 anglers anglers in Georgia Strait and flies a pennant from his boat that designates him as such, has no fish size limitations and turns the fish heads in for research purposes.

Thanks, just the old fisherman coming out in me. I also have a son who has guided professionally and he is so fussy that I prefer not to go out with him. :eek: a That said he is designated by Canada Fisheries and Oceans as one of the top 25 anglers anglers in Georgia Strait and flies a pennant from his boat that designates him as such, has no fish size limitations and turns the fish heads in for research purposes.

Proud father. :D

My daughter and I enjoy fishing on occasion and make it over to the coast once in a while to bottom fish. But, when in Ketchikan there's nothing I'd rather do than go salmon fishing! I hooked a King last time, but it got away just as the captain was putting the net in, so I'm hoping to actually land one next June!

In the Big Town, ADF&G’s public information officer Ken Marsh told me that area fish biologist Dan Bosch polled fishermen at Ship Creek on Wednesday, and found that 50 percent had caught silver salmon, Ken said that bodes well for Alaska’s most urban fishery, and “that snowball’s gonna keep on rolling."

Ken also said that Bird Creek is a “happening thing” right now, with pinks and chums coming in strong, and a few silvers mixed in. “I think over the next week to two weeks it’ll be getting a lot better," he said. He mentioned Glacier Creek in Girdwood as well, which has a nice pink run and is seeing a “silver or two”.

Towards the end of August, he suggested heading to those creeks toward the end of Turnagain Arm, like the 20 Mile and Portage Creek which have a later run of silver salmon. He advised anglers to check page 40 of the regulations to make sure they’re not fishing any of the closed areas of Turnagain Arm. The big thing is Reds and pinks....Pinks are what they can....I don't like to eat them, but they are fun to catch....especially for kids....Reds are the best eating thing around....Most people think they are much better tasting than a King....the exception to this may be a Yukon River King that is caught near the mouth, but you won't be going there...:) There are wonderful charters available. Also check out the Alaska fish and game website....you can google it...

chugachbackcountryfishing.com Cory is one of the best guides in the world. although we have our own boat, we go out with him once a year....check out his fishing especially on the Kasiloff....You will need a rental car to get there, but in Alaska terms of driving, it is not too far, and he supplies everything but your Alaskan license. He does book up fast....and his specialty is drift boats.....

I'm quoting an iditarod racer and now a fish & game warden to my friends I'm traveling with - They think I'm some amazing researcher. Hahaha. I just am very fortunate to have stumbled upon the amazingly kind people in this message board. Thank you for all that. I'm definitely sending you pictures so you know your advice did not go in vain!