What will people think?

beth4652

:confused: I am 5' tall and 160 lbs. Most of the weight is around my middle (thanks, kids). I am closing in on 60 years old, although I look quite a bit younger. My legs aren't the greatest. Should I steer clear of shorts, capris and swimsuits for fear of grossing shipmates out or should I forget about it and dress comfortably, but tastefully, for the weather?

I think that you should dress comfortably. There is nothing wrong with you wearing capris or a bathing suit. I am 52, size 12 and I don't think that my legs are in the best shape, although I don't have varicose veins yet. I wear capris, bathing suit and shorts when the weather is really hot. I am most comfortable in capris. I really don't think that anyone should care as long as you are comfortable and, as you say, tasteful.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wear what you want and feel comfortable in!! My mom is 78 and yes, she does have some varicose veins, but she tried on a shorter (just above the knee) denim skirt (the kind with shorts underneath) and it looked really nice on her. She might wear that for one of our stops for shopping. Besides you are there to enjoy the sun...wear your swimsuit and don't worry about anyone else!:)

In order to go swimming or sunbathe, you need to wear a swimsuit, so IMO it would be silly to deprive yourself of something you want to do. So, of course, wear a swimsuit and don't worry about what other's think. You'll see *plenty* of figure flaws poolside!

Shorts are a different matter. IMO, unless you have nice legs, there's just no reason to wear them (unless you're in an activity where it would be awkward not to) Honestly, I never understand why I see so many women with bad legs in shorts when a simple cotton, linen, gauze or denim skirt would be so much more flattering and just as comfortable.....maybe even more so. I see many heavy women with the inside seam of their shorts riding up toward their crotch. (creating an upside-down 'V') It's just ugly and must be uncomfortable for the wearer.

I've never been a fan of capri's and have never owned a pair, however, for those with not the greatest legs, I think they would be preferable to shorts.

Jane

Shorts are a different matter. IMO, unless you have nice legs, there's just no reason to wear them (unless you're in an activity where it would be awkward not to) Honestly, I never understand why I see so many women with bad legs in shorts when a simple cotton, linen, gauze or denim skirt would be so much more flattering and just as comfortable.....maybe even more so. I see many heavy women with the inside seam of their shorts riding up toward their crotch. (creating an upside-down 'V') It's just ugly and must be uncomfortable for the wearer.

I've never been a fan of capri's and have never owned a pair, however, for those with not the greatest legs, I think they would be preferable to shorts.

Jane

Personally I think this is just plain rude.:mad:

Beth, wear whatever you are comfortable in and don't worry about "what other people think". I think that the people on it will have better things to do than judge you for what you are wearing. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I know Jane is not a fan of capris and am shocked, shocked I tell you that she recommended them...but I do think that capris are more flattering than shorts - and I live in a place that doesn't skimp on summer (tomorrow is 88!) but wear a swim suit and enjoy! you will certainly find many people on board who have not worried at all what they look like...(that's meant to be reassuring)

)

I know Jane is not a fan of capris and am shocked, shocked I tell you that she recommended them...but I do think that capris are more flattering than shorts - and I live in a place that doesn't skimp on summer (tomorrow is 88!) but wear a swim suit and enjoy! you will certainly find many people on board who have not worried at all what they look like...(that's meant to be reassuring)

)

Mimi,

I too was "shocked, SHOCKED" to see myself write those words! LOL!!! I really do hate cropped pants, but they're still better than shorts on some women.

Jane

As an overweight woman, I do not find skirts to be at all comfortable in hot weather. To be blunt, there isn't enough airspace between my upper thighs to prevent chafing.

Shorts ( I wear what used to be called walking shorts--just to the top of the knee) are much more comfortable.

Personally I think this is just plain rude.:mad:

Beth, wear whatever you are comfortable in and don't worry about "what other people think". I think that the people on it will have better things to do than judge you for what you are wearing. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Rude??? My answer was absolutely NOT rude in any way!

Beth asked for our opinions and there was nothing wrong or inappropriate with the way I expressed mine. You're free to disagree with my opinion and I don't take offense. Beth will read them all and then do what feels most comfortable for her.

I certainly wouldn't walk up to a stanger and tell them that I don't like their outfit or that it's not flattering.......THAT would be rude! However, this is an open exchange board about opinions and if a person asks for one, there's nothing wrong or rude with giving it.

Jane

I don't think the Op has been on a cruise yet, if she had, she would not be asking these questions!

My legs are not perfect. While not necessarily heavy, they have a few veins, a few small scars, a few freckles. I decided years ago that I needed to wear what is comfortable for me when it is hot outside. If a person is disgusted or finds my legs an eyesore, they should just turn their heads away and look at something else.

If you care about what people think and how you will look, then my opinion would be that shorts are not appropriate on anyone over a certain age in public. A swim suit, that's another matter as everyone at every age needs to wear a swim suit in order to swim etc. Of course the style and type should be chosen according to body type and age, even a size 2 at age 60 shouldn't wear a bikini IMO but that is just me.

On the other hand if you want to be happy and wear what you like and makes you happy then go for it. I don't think anyone will really care what you wear, and even if they do, so what? Care is a big word, I see the shorts on women as Jane described riding up in the back and it looks awful, do I really care, as long as I'm not wearing it, I just think it looks ugly and that those women just look bad and I think they have bad judgement about their clothing but do I care that they look bad, basically no I don't care.

I personally love capris (pedal pushers) and find them much more comfortable than shorts.

You wear what you feel confident and comfortable in, please do not worry about what other people think.

Can someone please define "bad legs" ? Or the "perfect" set of legs suitable for wearing shorts? Are there leg police out on these ships or something? :rolleyes:

go with what you would normally wear at home on a hot day. wear what is comfortable and totally be free with your choices!

I just got off a caribbean cruise and there were 300 pound men in speedos. did anyone notice? i'm sure they did, i did, but did they care? i highly doubt it. I sure as hell didnt! your're on vacation just like everyone else, and they certainly dont care what they look like and neither should you.

so if you wanna wear a bikini top with a skirt or shorts, or a bikini, just your bathing suit, do it!

You wear what you feel confident and comfortable in, please do not worry about what other people think.

Can someone please define "bad legs" ? Or the "perfect" set of legs suitable for wearing shorts? Are there leg police out on these ships or something? :rolleyes:

I don't think we need to get into definitions of what constitutes a pair of great gams or not-so-great gams. If you've reached an adult age and haven't a clue as to what the difference between the two are then you're truly lucky enough to live in a perfect world where such comparisons don't exist.......or, you're baiting us here with such a question.

Of course, there's varying degree's and some people feel the need to be "perfect" and that's a shame to live under that pressure, IMO.

If anyone feels that they look great in shorts, then by all means, flaunt those gams in shorts that are age & figure appropriate. (a 60 year old w/ great legs should shy away from Daisy Duke shorts, IMO).

Jane

I prefer wearing capris to shorts for the reason Jane110 says: I hate the legs of shorts creeping up. At 49, I am wearing capris, skirts short and /or long...each to their own....mirrors are our best friends sometimes because they don't hide anything. As for bathing suits, I often wear shorts or sheer skirt over my suit. Landends has many great options that flatter woman of all ages IMHO. I leave the shorts to my 17 year old size 1 daughter.....who will someday bloosom if she continues to eat pizza and chips ha ha!

Beth4652 - I say comfortably yet tastefully is the answer. No need to forgo shorts or swimsuits. I can pretty much guarantee there will be people both larger and smaller than you by the pool.

All - I don't have the best legs, but do wear shorts in the summer. Skirts are uncomfortable for me. I do like capris and crops and will wear them when I have to go "out" - to some one's house or a similar casual event, or even to work.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

I like shorts...but not short-shorts. It is really hard to find a length of shorts that I feel comfortable in (these days it's all Daisy Dukes!). I prefer capris that hit me about mid-calf, in denim or khaki/cargo. I also have some nice skirts that are lightweight cotton in a longer length that are perfect for lounging around in on casual days.

As far as swimwear goes...wear it! You'll see every body type imaginable.

Most of all, Have fun!!!

I make it a point to never buy anything new and pack it before I've had a chance to wear it, even if it's just around the house, to see how it fits and feels on me. This is the best way I've found to know whether my new shorts will ride up or pull on me.

As for what people will think...for the last 20 years my mother has worn long-sleeved blouses and long pants, even when it was 90 degrees outside, because she was so concerned with what other people would think. She would be so very uncomfortable but no amount of convincing would get her to change her mind. Then one day when she was dying from the heat, I asked her if you'd consider at least putting on a shorter sleeved shirt and all I heard was "But my arms are so unattractive.!" I'd had enough and blurted out, "Mom you are just to vain for your own good. Who cares whether your arms are perfect or not. People ar more likely to look at you because you look so darned hot in those clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She huffed for a day or two but the next time I saw her she had on three-quarter length sleeves, and the next day, cap sleeves and the next day capris and finally she was wearing a pretty, nicely fitted short-sleeved top and shorts - and she looked great! She says she's so much more comfortable - to heck with what other people think.

BTW, she's 72 years old, weights 114, but still won't go out of the house unless her hair's perfect! Gotta love her and I do!

So Beth, my advice is choose your clothes carefully for comfort and fit, but don't let your age or size rule out anything - let your common sense do that for you!

:confused: I am 5' tall and 160 lbs. Most of the weight is around my middle (thanks, kids). I am closing in on 60 years old, although I look quite a bit younger. My legs aren't the greatest. Should I steer clear of shorts, capris and swimsuits for fear of grossing shipmates out or should I forget about it and dress comfortably, but tastefully, for the weather?

Wear what you want! When we were on our last cruise and I was sitting by the pool, I took a mental note of how many so called 'perfect' bodies were out there and I think out of all of them, I saw maybe 2 (and they probably thought they were fat!!). Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and I think that it is great to see everyone just out there having fun and not worrying about what others will think.

I can remember seeing a 'fluffy' older lady sitting out on a lounge chair, reading her book and smiling at her hubby, and I thought it was the sweetest thing. She was enjoying her vacation with her SO, and that is all that mattered. I think that is the most important thing... enjoy yourself and have fun. It is your vacation. Try to think about what you want out of it and make it happen. You don't want to get home and say, "I wish...", because there is no going back.

Wear your bathing suit with confidence and your well fitting shorts and you will be fine. As long as you are comfortable and confident, that is what counts!:D

I don't think the Op has been on a cruise yet, if she had, she would not be asking these questions!

This will be my third cruise. The last time I cruised in warm weather, I was considerable younger and sleeker. The most recent cruise was to Alaska, where I didn't need to consider the shorts question.

Jane, I did not consider your answer rude. Brutally honest, maybe, but not rude. Seriously, I appreciate all of you being honest in your answers.

I live in Hot-lanta, but rarely wear shorts. I always think that capris make me look even shorter, so it's pants for me. I think I'll stick to that on the ship, except at the pool, but perhaps wear shorts in ports if it's just too hot to walk around in pants.

I also say wear what you want! There are a lot of great alternatives out there...like the capris--or something else that was popular this past summer was bermuda shorts (just at the knee)...I personally hate shorts unless they are the sporty kind for working out in--and wear skirts almost every day--however I found a great alternative! At JC Penny's I found tennis skirts that are terry cloth and have shorts built in...now we are not talking skirt in the front shorts in the back--or skirt with tight spandex shorts underneath--this is a full wrap style terry cloth skirt--hits just above the knee and has built in a couple inches shorter somewhat loose fitting shorts...I bought 2 pairs they are so great....

At 5' and 160 you are not by any means the "biggest" gal out there--I am sure there will be people much heavier wearing much less than suitable shorts...

I prefer wearing capris to shorts for the reason Jane110 says: I hate the legs of shorts creeping up. At 49' date=' I am wearing capris, skirts short and /or long...each to their own....mirrors are our best friends sometimes because they don't hide anything. As for bathing suits, I often wear shorts or sheer skirt over my suit. Landends has many great options that flatter woman of all ages IMHO. I leave the shorts to my 17 year old size 1 daughter.....who will someday bloosom if she continues to eat pizza and chips ha ha![/quote']

Well I am also 49, and in the summer I practically LIVE in shorts. Also I'm a runner, and hit the gym about 6 days a week, so I probably need, and have, more shorts than most anyway. I could not imagine running my weekend errands in anything other than shorts when it's warm. Well, I do have a couple of pairs of skorts when I want to be a bit dressier - but I don't often wear them. I just find the shorts to be more comfortable.

This will be my third cruise. The last time I cruised in warm weather, I was considerable younger and sleeker. The most recent cruise was to Alaska, where I didn't need to consider the shorts question.

Jane, I did not consider your answer rude. Brutally honest, maybe, but not rude. Seriously, I appreciate all of you being honest in your answers.

I live in Hot-lanta, but rarely wear shorts. I always think that capris make me look even shorter, so it's pants for me. I think I'll stick to that on the ship, except at the pool, but perhaps wear shorts in ports if it's just too hot to walk around in pants.

Beth,

I'm glad you didn't find my response to be rude. It certainly wasn't meant to be.

After reading all the replies, I think that DandyCandy really expresses it best. If you are comfortable wearing shorts at home, there's no reason to feel less comfortable wearing them during your cruise.

I totally agree with you about capri's. I think they make *everyone* look shorter and heavier! Though I still think that on *some*, they're preferable to shorts. That's my opinion and of course, everyone should do what's most comfortable for themselves.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Jane

I wish they would bring back coulottes. Remember those ladies? Well some ladies. Sort of like the "jc penny terry skirt". Gee I would like that skirt if it wasn't made of terry cloth.

Coulottes was great, they brought back pedal pushers why not coulottes?

For those who don't remember coulottes, I'll describe. Think skirt to the knee with big pleets and in the folds of the pleets it was really shorts. Or think of skirt to the knee with "double inverted pleets and hidden in those pleets was the shorts", no double fabric to add heat, no riding up because they are loose like a skirt almost. Oh to bring back those coulottes.

I hate skorts, what's the point, they can still ride up in the back like regular shorts.

I'm not saying capris or pedal pushers are for everyone, but I do like them and wear them. For me they are comfortable and convenient. There are times when comfort will take over the "how I look" area as long as I'm color coordinated and neat, because in the summer when it's hot, I very often just don't care when I'm doing my errands going from one a/c to another and don't even think about other people.

Basically I'm not sure if I ever think about othe people and what they think. I honestly don't care. I care for myself and my hubby. I care about what I wear when I'm in NYC because having been born and raised there, I know going into a store the sales people "size you up" and very often that decides the level of service.

I'm going to create a new discussion topic.

Archived