Nassau - PRIVATE ISLAND BEACH DAY

brepri_h

Has anyone done this excursion? I'm concerned about how long the ride to this island may be. I've done an excursion like this before and it took 45 minutes and it was an extremely rough ride. This next cruise I'll be bringing a 9mo. old so I want to avoid something like that.

https://secure.carnival.com/shore-excursions/nassau/private-island-beach-day-424090

I've done it twice.

Each time the boat ride was 30-35 minutes one way and was "bouncy" but not so much that a mobile individual would lose their balance.

Almost everyone was able to sit and those that had to stand were robust enough to manage. We chose to stand to give another couple with young ones the seats.

Due to the manner in which you have to climb up and into the boat, a stroller would have to be folded and carried as would your baby for the duration of the trip.

It's not "smooth sailing" and if you are at all concerned about the "motion of the ocean" you may wish to reconsider when taking such a young child. I don't remember any babies, toddlers or children not able to walk by themselves on either of my trips.

We've thought about doing this excursion with our kids (ages 10 & 7) who want a beach day while in Nassau, but the reviews I've read aren't that favorable - for example, you can't leave when you want. Instead you have to wait for the ferry to return.

I think we've decided to do Day Passes at the British Colonial Hilton instead. Total for our family of 4 will only be $20 more ($60/adult & $30/child) than the beach day excursion with Carnival, BUT will also come with $120 worth of food & drink vouchers. ($40 per adult & $20 per child). I think you only pay a $12 deposit per person and the hotel is walking distance from the port.

If you're interested in info about the day passes, just search CC for the British Colonial Hilton. Lots of reviews posted!

Especially with such a young child, I'd be very apprehensive about going anywhere that I wasn't able to leave from when I wanted. I can't imagine being stuck on an island with a fussy or tired baby and having to wait for the ferry to return.

The day passes might be a good option! The hotel should be air conditioned, so if baby gets fussy or hot, you have the option of sitting inside for a while if needed. Good luck! I hope you find something fun to do on your trip!

In Nassau we got day passes at Melia with a just turned 2 year old and just turned 1 year old. You need to take a jitney/cab back and forth. It was crowded on the way there, on the way back there were a bunch outside the hotel waiting and were mostly empty the whole way back. I loved Melia because they had pools of many depths, including one 12" deep and a zero entry pool. There were very few people there so it was like we had the place to ourselves. The food was $$$, so we didn't eat anything there.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. I think that boat ride is a little long for a 9mo. old. It would be too long for me. LOL. I went to Nassau about 4 years ago and the excursions were different. Looking at them now I'm not too thrilled. We'd like to just spend the day on a nice beach. We've never seen Atlantis so we thought that'd be fun but many reviews said it was not worth the money. We though the aquarium part would be fun though.

Ah and even a little more info from someone at Hilton via email...........

"Good Afternoon,

Children 5 and under are free with each paying adult. Upon your arrival to the hotel, you may purchase passes directly at the front desk.

Day Passes are also sold online at $60.00 per adult with a 20% deposit at the time of booking. Please see the following links for availability - http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm; www.bahamasdaypass.com or http://www.resortforaday.com/British-Colonial-Hilton-Day-pass-p/nsnabch.htm. The Day Pass starts from 9am and for your safety our life guards are on duty from 9am to 5pm. If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact me and once again thank you for choosing the British Colonial Hilton."