How Will X Compete in the Caribbean?

I find MSC's seaside an interesting concept. More outdoor spaces are the trend. For our 2014 med cruise we spent all of our evenings after dinner at the sunset bar. Loved it. I hope Celebrity X builds on this and provides provides more outdoor dining and bar space.

I kind of like the idea of having the ship's promenade outside. It seems very European, which I guess fits with MSC. And I'm agnostic on the design. I wouldn't exactly say that it's ugly, it's more interesting looking. It looks a bit like an Oasis-class got turned inside out.

The Epic, however, is an eyesore.

I'm betting once the first E-class ship is delivered, they'll pull one of the other ships to do the shorter Caribbean itineraries that the Connie was doing.

Hi Everyone,

Personally, I feel Celebrity will continue to do very well in the Caribbean. If you're trying to compare some of the newest ships, such as RCCL's Oasis class ships, Carnival Vista, and MSC's ships, it's simply not comparing Apples to Apples.

With that said, I totally wish that Celebrity would shake up the Caribbean itineraries more, and consider at least a few more short sailings. There's not enough of them on the schedule, now that Connie has left the USA. Perhaps there will be a shake up, if & when Cuba becomes more of an option, but I think that's a few years away.

It will probably become much more interesting for Celebrity and the Caribbean, when the first Edge class ship makes her debut in 2018.

Ugh, I took a look at spring 2018 and there are no shorties except for one or two around the holidays, and the Reflection has gone to greater than 7 days...Silhouette keeps the 7 day cruises, but it's the same itineraries we've seen for years....I agree, time to shake it up!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm sure that all the bells and whistles on those ships will appeal to a lot of people. They have zero appeal for me. I prefer the classic designs and classy ambience of the Celebrity ships (even the S-class has now become "classic" by comparison!). And don't forget that Celebrity has the EDGE class coming soon to a port new you. :)

Couldn't agree more - things that are important to me

1) service

2) less kids

3) service

We finally booked our cruise for 2018. It came down to the new Vista or the Reflection. One was 8 days one was 11 days. With the Vista if you want one drink package both people have to purchase it. That was over $1000. Drink package is included on the Reflection. If we had gone on the Vista we would not have purchased two drink packages though so the amount would not have been $1000 for us. We would have paid as we went as we are not large drinkers but do indulge. When adding in drink packages the price for the Vista 8 day was almost the same as the Reflection 11 day. The Vista looks awesome but we had to think how many times are we really going to go down the spiral water tube? We have no intention of waiting in line to bicycle around the top deck. We spend more of our time around the adult pools which also looks very nice on the Vista. We hear that the food is better on Celebrity than Carnival but we have never done Celebrity before. Food on Carnival was very good on the cruise we have done. We do not cruise children so that is not a concern. When we finally made the decision I think it came to the quality that we hear about with Celebrity. Just looking for a nice quiet cruise with an outstanding itinerary. I could not see why I would pick an 8 day on a new ship over an 11 day on an outstanding ship. Part of me just plain wanted to do a new ship but once I got that out of my head my decision was clear.....for us.

We did 26 with Carnival and after two on the Reflection, just couldn't go back to Carnival. You hit the nail on the head...after you pay for the drink package on Carnival, the price is comparable. With Celebrity, you get a balcony that is actually usable instead of a narrow space with room for a small end table in addition to a much better bathroom space and overall service. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!

BTW, we are on the Mardi Gras Cruise right before your sailing in Feb 2018.

We are booked on Harmony of the Seas in December. I'm looking forward to the new bells and whistles and to the shows, but Harmony has the same itinerary of Oasis and Allure these past several years.

We are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and will reach Elite Plus this year on Celebritry, so we do cruise on both lines. I would like some different itineraries just as some others above mentioned.

Still I love to try big, sparking new ships and will do so whenever they come along. I am looking forward to Celebrity's new Edge Class ships and hope they don't get sent straight to China as some brand new ships have been doing of late.

Cutbacks have been instituted on all the cruise lines none more then Celebrity .

Celebrity has decided to compete by including various perks in their regular sales . I'm OK with that .

Actually, I was thinking that the MSC ship looked like a high rise hotel. She might replace the NCL Epic as the ugliest looking ship on the water!

OP, many of the new ships are intriguing. You give us food the thought. The amusement parks, waterslides, & other novelty items are great for families, but when cruising as a couple, we prefer the ships of Celebrity or Princess.

I kind of like the idea of having the ship's promenade outside. It seems very European, which I guess fits with MSC. And I'm agnostic on the design. I wouldn't exactly say that it's ugly, it's more interesting looking. It looks a bit like an Oasis-class got turned inside out.

The Epic, however, is an eyesore.

I'm betting once the first E-class ship is delivered, they'll pull one of the other ships to do the shorter Caribbean itineraries that the Connie was doing.

Jeese . Now you tell me . I just booked a last minute Epic cruise . ;) Of course you don't see the ship from your balcony . :)

Good point about view. The seas look pretty good from my balcony and pool deck.

I do think we will try MSC in future. I think they are the cruise line with the private island that will have entertainment at night. If so, for sure we will experience that at least once.

Boy, that MSC boat, ahem, ship, is ultra UGLY!! :eek: Worse than the NCL Epic's rear end. I left Carnival years ago because of the garish décor and hated some of the layouts of the ships. I understand they have toned it down and have improved flow at the buffet, so maybe I would go again.. I liked the RCCL ships we have been on because of the beautiful décor, marble, glass, etc. However, I noticed that as the ships got larger, I liked them less. You don't need to entertain me with surf simulators, zip lines, and bumper cars but I see how they could appeal more to families. I will most likely never set foot on an Oasis class vessel because I like the older "classical" look and I like to see the sea and feel like I am at sea. I have booked my first Celebrity and can't wait to check out their ships. So far what I have seen I like.