Can you take syrup in carry on for flight?

legalslave

The key lime pie should have been allowed through. I think the TSA agent probably wanted to eat the pie....didn't expect you to finish it before you went through!

I don't easily give up a piece of Key Lime pie!

Edited by Boytjie

Checked bag - and double bag it because of the depressurization. I'd pierce the foam inner seal and squeeze out the air to allow room for expansion.

My big question though is, "Why?" Gooey, creamy deliciousness? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I tried to get two pairs of blindfolds and four cans of whipped cream through airline security. Unsuccessful!!

Just about every souvenir store (there are loads) or just go a bit further into Gastown - maple syrup is EVERYWHERE.:D
Agreed... I see syrup available on Amazon.... get your syrup high before your vacation. Delivered to your home pre or post-cruise. Bypass airline issues.

Why the restrictions on liquids, gels and aerosols? In August 2006 international authorities announced they had averted a terrorist plot to bring liquid explosives onto one or more commercial airliners concealed in Gatorade bottles, shampoo bottles, etc.

There were no regs at that time prohibiting bottles up to 16 or 20 fluid ounces in capacity being taken onboard by pax in their carry-on luggage. The chemicals discovered in this plot would not individually be "explosive" until they were combined/mixed by the dirt bags/**** heads while in flight.

In the immediate aftermath of this discovery no liquids or creams or gels of any kind were allowed in carry-on baggage however, this restriction was relaxed relatively quickly and replaced with the current restrictions.

The idea now is that 3 ounces of liquid (100 ml) is a small enough amount that it would be impracticable for a terrorist group to smuggle a large enough volume of potential liquid explosives onto an airplane to do serious damage. hence the current restrictions

I think the PB looks like plastique explosives on the scanners. I am surprised after hand inspection they didn't allow it though if less than 3.4 oz.

The key lime pie should have been allowed through. I think the TSA agent probably wanted to eat the pie....didn't expect you to finish it before you went through!

The TSA page for foods: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Thanks much for the link!

Diane

Checked bag - and double bag it because of the depressurization. I'd pierce the foam inner seal and squeeze out the air to allow room for expansion.

My big question though is, "Why?" Gooey, creamy deliciousness? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I love the lattes from the Neptune. I squeeze some caramel syrup in the bottom of my HAL mug, then fill it with the latte from the machine. Yummy! It's a weight gainer but part of my cruise enjoyment.

Diane

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I did purchase my Hershey's Caramel syrup here in Arizona. I put it in a Ziploc bag, then put it in another Ziploc bag and have put it in my checked luggage. Gotta have my caramel lattes while I sit and watch the beautiful scenery when cruising the Inside Passage.

Diane

Why the restrictions on liquids, gels and aerosols? In August 2006 international authorities announced they had averted a terrorist plot to bring liquid explosives onto one or more commercial airliners concealed in Gatorade bottles, shampoo bottles, etc.

There were no regs at that time prohibiting bottles up to 16 or 20 fluid ounces in capacity being taken onboard by pax in their carry-on luggage. The chemicals discovered in this plot would not individually be "explosive" until they were combined/mixed by the dirt bags/**** heads while in flight.

In the immediate aftermath of this discovery no liquids or creams or gels of any kind were allowed in carry-on baggage however, this restriction was relaxed relatively quickly and replaced with the current restrictions.

The idea now is that 3 ounces of liquid (100 ml) is a small enough amount that it would be impracticable for a terrorist group to smuggle a large enough volume of potential liquid explosives onto an airplane to do serious damage. hence the current restrictions

Thanks for the reminder! I recall flying during that short interval with no liquids or gels allowed... I still have the tooth powder I bought for that short trip, carry-on luggage only. m--

I love the lattes from the Neptune. I squeeze some caramel syrup in the bottom of my HAL mug, then fill it with the latte from the machine. Yummy! It's a weight gainer but part of my cruise enjoyment.

Diane

You may not be aware of the Explorations Café. It is a lovely coffee shop with specialty coffees, teas, lattes etc. It also has beautiful tasty treats. Caramel type drinks are on the menu. Here's a link to it.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Explorations-Cafe.pdf

Just trying to save you a little weight in your checked bag.

I brought a small tin of Maple Syrup for a M&G gift exchange. It was in my checked luggage and when I unpacked, the tin had been opened. I had to tell the couple from England that it was okay and security had opened it to make sure it was maple syrup.

And we remember that day very clearly!

Flying from Heathrow to Halifax NS very early that morning and caught up in all the 'hoo-haa' at the airport is something I never want to repeat. Luckily our flight got away just two hours late - then all flights in many parts of the world were suspended for days. All we were allowed to take on board was a ziplock bag containing our passports and flight documents. No carry on bags at all - everything else (allowable) went in the hold - yes ladies even your handbags/purse!

You'll never hear me grumble about the small 100ml size limit in what seems like a very small 1litre plastic bag!