Live from the summit

Grandma Rambo

We are doing the Summit on Sunday 8th.

Cash or credit cards for ferry/bus?

Do we need to bring an extra $200 cash just to do local transportation?

I have been to Bermuda about 50 times in the 1990's to early 2000's, mostly had private taxi's. I'm paying myself now, so it's the bus & ferry.

Simple answer please, don't tell me how to save Al Gore and walk the Island.

CaptDave

We are doing the Summit on Sunday 8th.

Cash or credit cards for ferry/bus?

Do we need to bring an extra $200 cash just to do local transportation?

I have been to Bermuda about 50 times in the 1990's to early 2000's, mostly had private taxi's. I'm paying myself now, so it's the bus & ferry.

Simple answer please, don't tell me how to save Al Gore and walk the Island.

CaptDave

You can buy one or two day passes good for both the buses and ferries. Maybe three day. Or tokens for each bus and ferry trip. Last year I bought a two day pass and they took my Visa card at the Visitor Information Center. That was $31.50. Tokens are $4.50. Or you could pay cash $5 a trip getting on the bus or ferry. You won't need $200 unless you take taxis.

Edited by Charles4515

All day transportation passes are $19 a day, $31.50 for 2 day and $44 for 3 day They are sold when you exit the ship in the pink building.

You can pay $5 cash one way and take the ferry into Hamilton and then buy tokens at the VIC. The tokens are $4.50 each, they also sell ticket booklets at the Hamilton VIC but I have never bought these, so not sure how they work.

Here's a link that should be helpful:

http://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/bus-fares/

Edited by CruisingChick

All day transportation passes are $19 a day, $31.50 for 2 day and $44 for 3 day They are sold when you exit the ship in the pink building.

You can pay $5 cash one way and take the ferry into Hamilton and then buy tokens at the VIC. The tokens are $4.50 each, they also sell ticket booklets at the Hamilton VIC but I have never bought these, so not sure how they work.

/

Tokens are now being sold at the VICs at the Dockyard. There is no need to ferry into Hamilton to buy them. The building you enter as you exit the cruise ship is called the Visitor Information Center.

You pay the bus or ferry with a ticket each time you board the bus or ferry. Ticket booklets have 15 tickets when purchased.

SBtS

Tokens are now being sold at the VICs at the Dockyard. There is no need to ferry into Hamilton to buy them. The building you enter as you exit the cruise ship is called the Visitor Information Center.

You pay the bus or ferry with a ticket each time you board the bus or ferry. Ticket booklets have 15 tickets when purchased.

SBtS

Good news. Someone stated earlier that they weren't selling them at the Dockyard, just the day passes.

Good news. Someone stated earlier that they weren't selling them at the Dockyard, just the day passes.

That was announced as the new policy before the cruise season began but it was quickly reversed at the start of the season do to the feedback they received against it.

Here's a link that should be helpful:

http://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/bus-fares/

Very helpful, right by the Summit for the 3 day pass.

Still, no mention of credit cards?

I will have to bring extra cash then???

CaptDave

Very helpful, right by the Summit for the 3 day pass.

Still, no mention of credit cards?

I will have to bring extra cash then???

CaptDave

They started taking Visa and Master Cards last year. No AMEX. Hopefully you have a card with no foreign transaction fee. If you have one of those pay with it.

Edited by Charles4515

They started taking Visa and Master Cards last year. No AMEX. Hopefully you have a card with no foreign transaction fee. If you have one of those pay with it.

We tried to pay with a credit card at the Visitor Center in Hamilton and she refused. Had to come up with more cash than we had expected. Also, the sign at the ticket window outside the ship did not say tokens were sold. That part of the sign was covered over. It only said one and two-day passes. This was this past week.

We tried to pay with a credit card at the Visitor Center in Hamilton and she refused. Had to come up with more cash than we had expected. Also, the sign at the ticket window outside the ship did not say tokens were sold. That part of the sign was covered over. It only said one and two-day passes. This was this past week.

Last year I paid with a credit card for a two day pass at the Visitor Center on Kings Wharf coming off the Summit. As for the tokens, maybe they ran out. They announced they would sell them at the Dockyard. It is in the article below fromthe Royal Gazette.

http://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/article/20160503/transport-policy-reversed-as-anthem-docks

Edited by Charles4515

If I get off the Summit, go to the ferry, can I get on without a pass or token, and then just pay with a USA $5 bill?

That would seem pretty simple.

Yes, you can pay $5 one way for the ferry or the bus. I agree, seems simple. Especially the first day when the lines are long to buy passes and/or tokens. Just head straight for the ferry line and be done with it.

Yes, you can pay $5 one way for the ferry or the bus. I agree, seems simple. Especially the first day when the lines are long to buy passes and/or tokens. Just head straight for the ferry line and be done with it.

In my opinion it depends what your plans are for that day and the other days whether to do that.

For example if I am going to St.George Day 1 and later to Harbour Night that evening I would get the pass. If I am only going to St. George's and back and no where else I would do cash or buy a token.

In my opinion it depends what your plans are for that day and the other days whether to do that.

For example if I am going to St.George Day 1 and later to Harbour Night that evening I would get the pass. If I am only going to St. George's and back and no where else I would do cash or buy a token.

If I understand it correctly, it would almost be the same, you could take the Ferry over to St. George, paying $5 and then buy tokens at the VIC at St. George for your other trips.

You would need 3 tokens - 1 to get you back to the Dockyard from St. George, then Dockyard to Hamilton and back (2).

So 3 x. 4.50 = 13.50 + 5.00 cash = 18.50. You've saved .50.

Even if you paid all 4 trips at $5 it's only $20 so a pass is saving you a dollar.

I think the pass is more beneficial if you buy a 2 days pass, but it has to be 2 consecutive days. You can't use if Wednesday and then use it on Friday. Once it is stamped the first time it's used then you have 48 hours.

Edited by CruisingChick

If I understand it correctly, it would almost be the same, you could take the Ferry over to St. George, paying $5 and then buy tokens at the VIC at St. George for your other trips.

You would need 3 tokens - 1 to get you back to the Dockyard from St. George, then Dockyard to Hamilton and back (2).

So 3 x. 4.50 = 13.50 + 5.00 cash = 18.50. You've saved a dollar.

Even if you paid all 4 trips at $5 it's only $20 so a pass is saving your .50 cents.

I buy the two day pass for $31.50 since I use the public transportation on Day 2. What is best depends on your plans for the two and a half days. That is why I said it depends. If I was only going to the beach and back every day I would get the tokens, not any pass. Or I would take a shuttle. Day 3 I will likely take a private minibus to Horseshoe. If day 2 and 3 I am only going to Horseshoe then I would only get tokens for Day 1 to go to St. George's. I would take the private minibus to the beach day 2 and day 3.

Edited by Charles4515

Hi, folks - anyone onboard the Summit at the moment with an update on last night's early departure from Dockyard ... is the rough ride over yet ?? How's sea conditions this morning - oceanweather's marine chart showing an area northwest of Bermuda with relatively tough waves, 15' to 20' & higher at times, hopefully, captain can steer around south & avoid the worst of it, south to north with the wind/wave. Wish you all a safe passage & crossing the rest of the way homebound.

Breakaway is still at Heritage Wharf (as of 12:30 PM) and looked to stick with her scheduled 3 PM departure this afternoon, steady rain all morning & wind, etc.

Hi, folks - anyone onboard the Summit at the moment with an update on last night's early departure from Dockyard ... is the rough ride over yet ?? How's sea conditions this morning - oceanweather's marine chart showing an area northwest of Bermuda with relatively tough waves, 15' to 20' & higher at times, hopefully, captain can steer around south & avoid the worst of it, south to north with the wind/wave. Wish you all a safe passage & crossing the rest of the way homebound.

Breakaway is still at Heritage Wharf (as of 12:30 PM) and looked to stick with her scheduled 3 PM departure this afternoon, steady rain all morning & wind, etc.

Interesting that they made different decisions. RCI has become very cautious since the Anthem incident.

The weather is bad enough that Bermuda cancelled the ferry to St. George's today.

Edited by Charles4515

We are doing St Georges the first day (from Dockyard).

Is it $5 US cash to just get on that also, no waiting in line?

CaptDave

CaptDave

If you pay $5 cash you will only have to wait in one line. If you buy a token or pass you will have to wait in two lines.

We can feel the swells but not bad at all. Sat outside the buffet at breakfast. Expecting improving conditions from here forward. A totally enjoyable at sea day on the Summit.

CaptDave

You will have to wait on line to get on the ferry. First ferry to St. George's is 9:30 am then the second is 11:30 am. Takes about 45 minutes.

Last year we sailed to Bermuda May 24 - 31. 2 of the 3 days the ferry to St. George's was canceled. We had terrible weather. Almost Gale Force winds, rain, on and off for 3 days. Even the locals couldn't believe the weather. One day we walked off the ship looked at each other and walked right back on, it was that bad. Couldn't even stand up.

Interesting that they made different decisions. RCI has become very cautious since the Anthem incident. The weather is bad enough that Bermuda cancelled the ferry to St. George's today.
Indeed, NCL ship captains are known to be daring ... we know, at least 2 pretty bad stormy sailings under our belts, once on the 40,000 ton Crown on the way out to Bermuda, a roller-coaster ride for 18+ hours. Not surprised on calling off those SG ferries over the choppy seas - fast Cat's would just mean more bouncing up & down.

BA essentially a floating waterfront mini-resort for the last 18 hours and with everything closed for the outdoors (unlike Carnival, where most of their ships have a sliding roof that they can close for weather & other reasons) ... been watching the live webcam all day, hardly anyone went ashore - packed dining rooms & buffet, but - it's good old mother nature, unless they make the decision to join the Summit for an extra sea day. Either way, there will be complaints & unhappy campers - it's going to be our turns in 2 weeks, perhaps we need to come up with a plan C.

We can feel the swells but not bad at all. Sat outside the buffet at breakfast. Expecting improving conditions from here forward. A totally enjoyable at sea day on the Summit.

Thank you, much obliged for the quick update. Enjoy the extra time at sea - misery loves company, it's raining in NYC too and showers off & on tomorrow into Sunday ... much rather be on a ship than behind the keyboard.

And, historically, Bermuda gets the least amount of rainfall in the month of May - #cough #cough

...Thank you, much obliged for the quick update. Enjoy the extra time at sea - misery loves company, it's raining in NYC too and showers off & on tomorrow into Sunday ... much rather be on a ship than behind the keyboard.

And, historically, Bermuda gets the least amount of rainfall in the month of May - #cough #cough

It's even raining in So. Cal. too and we rarely get it, so we can all whine together. ;) At least they're on a cruise ship! Interesting about May being the month with the least amount of rainfall. Been watching my iPhone weather app and although the weather has warmed up, it looks like they're getting an awful lot of rain. Sure hope it stops soon!!

Cruzbachoua - Glad to hear your friends are okay. ;)