Any Affordable Bus Tours From Naples to Amalfi Coast?

Epic Cruiser2

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any affordable bus tours from Naples to

the Amalfi Coast?

Can you find anything for around $100 Euros?

The cheapest I have seen so far is $350 Euro for a private tour.

Around May 24th time frame...

Thanks for your help.

Take the Circumvusia railway to Sorrento . Sita Buslines run regular route services from Sorrento right down the Amalfi Coast . Full details on their website .

The problem we came across with taking the bus from Sorrento to the Amalfi coast was that it's only an hourly service and during the summer is over-subscribed at the times a cruiser would need it.

We took the ferry from Naples to Sorrento & headed for the train station, where the Amalfi bus starts. There was already a long line when we got there, about 30 minutes before the next bus. After it arrived & filled we were still some distance from the front of the line & faced another hour's wait - and the line had lengthened behind us. Whilst we were close enough to the front of the line to catch the next bus we knew that we couldn't afford the same thing to happen with the return journey or we'd miss our sailing, so we abandoned the idea & took the circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum instead.

There's no ferry service from either Naples or Sorrento to Amalfi, and only that hourly service by bus.

I'd caution cruisers against using public transport for the Amalfi coast, it's the one destination which needs a tour.

Renting a car isn't a great idea either - parking in places like Positano is horrendous & the coast road can get seriously clogged with traffic. The one who drives will have little chance of seeing the sights & may have to stay with the car in Positano, and may have to use the little back road over the hilly spine of the peninsula from Amalfi up thro' Ravello to get back to Sorrento or Naples.

It's a little late to be looking for an independent tour or for fellow-cruisers to share a tour. But you could check on your cruise's RollCall to see if anyone else has fixed a tour & is looking for sharers. You don't quote your ship, so go to http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=34

and navigate to your cruise line, your ship, and your sailing date.

If you can't fix an Amalfi tour for sensible cost, there are plenty of alternatives - Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento & others - which are cheap & easy by public transport.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any affordable bus tours from Naples to

the Amalfi Coast? Can you find anything for around $100 Euros?

Can I suggest you check out the Roll Call Section of the boards. Find your cruise line and then the specific cruise you are on. You should find many people sharing tours of different types. I have started many and for a tour with eight people you should pay around 80 euros per person for an 8 hour tour. If you don't want to do this check with rome in limo tour sharing.

Yes good advise about visiting your roll call and doing a tour with others on the same ship. Someone may have a private tour booked already and you can join them.

Or there are tour operators that have shared tours. They allow you to book into a group and the per person price would be better than trying to do it on your own. Try Rome In Limo and Italy Tour Sharing.

There are ferries all along the coast, including Sorrento, but the timing is limited and nearly impossible to do within the confines of a port day.

Ferry is the fastest and, in my opinion, most pleasant way to get to Sorrento from Naples. Depending on what time your ship arrives in Naples you might get to Sorrento faster with a ferry, or at least not a lot later than by the Circumveusiviana train.

If you have an early arrival (7 AM) the ferry doesn't work as the first one doesn't depart until 9 AM. For a later port arrival, however, it's a great option.

Keep in mind that tour sold by Viator has hotel pick up and probably wouldn't pick up from pier. "Hotel pickup and drop-off (from selected Naples hotels - advise on reconfirmation)"