timing from San Pedro to Union Station

andio2of5

Hi,

We will be disembarking in San Pedro on Monday Dec 5 and catching north-bound AMTRAK Coast Starlight on Tuesday Dec 6 at 10:10AM. That means that we should be at Union station by 9:00AM on Tuesday morning. My preference is to spend Monday night close to Union Station at the Miyako Hotel so it would be a short shuttle/taxi ride in the morning. However, their new winter rates are a little higher than I want to pay so was thinking of spending Monday night at the Doubletree in San Pedro and get a car service Tuesday morning to Union Station. Being a Tuesday morning at commute time (is there even a non-commute time in LA???) how much time would we need to get from San Pedro to Union Station???

Your first idea of spending the night close to Union Station/Downtown would be my preference. As far as driving from San Pedro goes, I would allow AT LEAST an hour. For me I would cushion it even more with additional time.

If early, spend some time exploring Union Station. If your accommodations on the Starlight are sleeper, you can take advantage of the Metropolitan Lounge at Union Station to relax before the train departure. You could leave your luggage in the lounge and go explore depending on how much time you have available.

John....thank you for the response. We too are frequent Amtrak travelers and have spent many an hour in Los Angeles Union Station. Last time that we were there for any length of time, the "1st class lounge" was in a roped off bar area up by the front door. Have they converted an enclosed area as an exclusive Metropolitan Lounge since then?? And I do prefer spending the night closer to the station so that morning is not so hectic and stressed. We like the Miyako Hotel cause if they are not super busy they will always give us a free ride over to the station in the morning. I might just bite the bullet and splurge for the extra $$.

Andi,

The "First Class Lounge" now has its own dedicated space...they are no longer using the roped-off area of the Traxx Bar. The Metropolitan Lounge is located on the second floor above the Amtrak ticket counter/windows. Around the corner from there and the car rental kiosks you'll find an elevator which will take you up there. Red Caps will take you to your train from the lounge. Comfortable seating, tables, wifi, snacks/beverages and restrooms available.

This link will take you to my Flickr album of LA Union Station photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/albums/72157628463367807/with/23232062900/

At the top of the album you'll find three images of the lounge. Shot last July while waiting for departure on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle.

Regards

John.....cool!!! Looks nice and thanks for the info. I do appreciate the special lounges but it's also fun to park yourself on a bench right along the main aisle and watch the "show".....and in LA Union Station, there is always some weird people to watch :D

John......just noticed in your signature that you are going on the American Empress. We are pulling the trigger tomorrow morning and booking the 23-day Mighty Mississippi Voyage on the American Queen for 10/13/2017 Minneapolis to New Orleans. This will be our first experience on a river boat...am excited about it. Have you been on the American Queen and have pictures posted somewhere???

Andi,

The "First Class Lounge" now has its own dedicated space...they are no longer using the roped-off area of the Traxx Bar. The Metropolitan Lounge is located on the second floor above the Amtrak ticket counter/windows. Around the corner from there and the car rental kiosks you'll find an elevator which will take you up there. Red Caps will take you to your train from the lounge. Comfortable seating, tables, wifi, snacks/beverages and restrooms available.

This link will take you to my Flickr album of LA Union Station photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/albums/72157628463367807/with/23232062900/

At the top of the album you'll find three images of the lounge. Shot last July while waiting for departure on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle.

Regards

Thanks for the pictures. Never looked so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

John......just noticed in your signature that you are going on the American Empress. We are pulling the trigger tomorrow morning and booking the 23-day Mighty Mississippi Voyage on the American Queen for 10/13/2017 Minneapolis to New Orleans. This will be our first experience on a river boat...am excited about it. Have you been on the American Queen and have pictures posted somewhere???

I am SO jealous! We just got the 2017 AQSC catalog and my wife spotted that cruise right off! The whole Mississippi!

Our upcoming American Empress cruise will be our first experience on a river cruise and we are looking forward to it. We do hope to do the Mississippi in the future. Needless to say, no pictures yet!

BTW Andi...there is a sub-forum for the American Queen Steamboat Company ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=775

Edited by TinCan782

What is your hotel budget for Monday night? How much luggage do you have?

I'd either stay in Downtown LA, there are plenty of options, or in Hollywood and ride the subway in to Union Station, assuming you don't have scads of luggage.

Union Station is a very tough place to get to from San Pedro, especially in the morning. The 110 Freeway is a nightmare. You can allow an hour, but any hiccups and it can be much more.

What is your hotel budget for Monday night? How much luggage do you have?

I'd either stay in Downtown LA, there are plenty of options, or in Hollywood and ride the subway in to Union Station, assuming you don't have scads of luggage.

Union Station is a very tough place to get to from San Pedro, especially in the morning. The 110 Freeway is a nightmare. You can allow an hour, but any hiccups and it can be much more.

Thanks for the info and confirmation to stay near Union Station instead of San Pedro (I thought the traffic would be a problem) the night before our train departure. We will be coming from 6 weeks of cruise and land vacation so will have way too much luggage to deal with subways and busses. I don't even like to deal with taxis when we have a lot of luggage and that's why I usually pick the Miyako Hotel....they will shuttle us over to Union Station in the morning with no hassles :)

Thanks for the info and confirmation to stay near Union Station instead of San Pedro (I thought the traffic would be a problem) the night before our train departure. We will be coming from 6 weeks of cruise and land vacation so will have way too much luggage to deal with subways and busses. I don't even like to deal with taxis when we have a lot of luggage and that's why I usually pick the Miyako Hotel....they will shuttle us over to Union Station in the morning with no hassles :)

Did you check the DoubleTree Little Tokyo (formerly the New Otani)? Other than that I'd get the best DTLA hotel deal you can off a booking site and then UberXL to Union Station.

Did you check the DoubleTree Little Tokyo (formerly the New Otani)? Other than that I'd get the best DTLA hotel deal you can off a booking site and then UberXL to Union Station.

Yes, I did look at their rates....high. Well, higher than what I am willing to pay for that occasion :D. Thanks for your suggestions.