What aids are available to disabled?

My friend is severely disabled by MS. He lives in a care facility and uses an electric wheelchair. He needs full time care. He would like to take his children and grandchildren on a cruise, probably to Alaska as that is closest to home. My question concerns the disabled cabins. What kind of equipment is or can be put in them? Are there or can there be lifts? He would be accompanied by a caregiver. Any information is welcome.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

I would call the special needs Dept at: Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

I really can't answer the question regarding Lifts in the Cabin. I do know there are Lifts by the Pool

Call Royal and ask to speak to the access department. Royal doesn't provide hoyers or sit-to-stands so you'll have to bring them, but if they book an accessible room they should fit. To my knowledge the handicap accessible rooms have the grab bars and wider doors. You can ask RC for a shower stool and raised toilet seat. Like I said, get in touch with the Access department and they'll be able to help.

Accessible cabin with a wider door to accommodate the electric wheelchair or scooter, raised toilet, grab bar handles in the restroom, extension cord upon request if needed, modified diet upon request, and accessible cabins are larger and some offer enough space to fully turn around in the wheelchair.

The website has additional information based on the disability. You may also contact the special needs department.

There is also a special access number for accessible shore excursions. I didn't use them but inquired about my Mom going on excursions.

Edited by TeeChi

You'll need to rent a portable lift and have it delivered to your stateroom on boarding day. I can't remember what the company was that we used when we traveled with my MIL in 2010. Definitely get in touch with Royal's special needs dept. I'm sure they can give you the names of the companies they've worked with.

You'll need to rent a portable lift and have it delivered to your stateroom on boarding day. I can't remember what the company was that we used when we traveled with my MIL in 2010. Definitely get in touch with Royal's special needs dept. I'm sure they can give you the names of the companies they've worked with.

Some companies mentioned here:

http://www.carevacations.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

My friend is severely disabled by MS. He lives in a care facility and uses an electric wheelchair. He needs full time care. He would like to take his children and grandchildren on a cruise, probably to Alaska as that is closest to home. My question concerns the disabled cabins. What kind of equipment is or can be put in them? Are there or can there be lifts? He would be accompanied by a caregiver. Any information is welcome.

Also have MS though still able to cruise independently but do require an accessible cabin.

The average size of a RCCL accessible cabin is 256-276 sq. ft. to allow for a 5 Ft. turning radius in both the bedroom and the bathroom. The standard features provided in RCCL accessible cabins are as follows:

Accessible stateroom features:

• Stateroom door width: 32"-34" (vessel-dependent)

• Bathroom door width: 32"-34" (vessel-dependent)

• No doorsill to get into the stateroom

• Ramped bathroom thresholds

• Bathroom grab bars

• Lowered sink and stateroom vanity

• Roll-in shower bench

• Fold-down shower bench

• Hand-held showerheads

• Lowered closet rods

• Refrigerator in stateroom (upon request)

• Raised toilet seats (most are between 17 to 19 inches high; commode chairs available – please request prior to sailing)

• Accessible balconies (selected staterooms)

• Lowered safes for easy access (not including Majesty of the Seas, where safes are located at Guest Relations)

Link to RCCL's Special Needs form that shows what can be requested free of charge https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Refer to this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do for further information regarding accessible features by ship

Anything else required such as a Hoyer Lift, , Hospital bed would be your friend's responsibility to rent from RCCL's approved vendors. The approved venders are :

http://www.CareVacations.com

http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

Accessible cabins generally book up a year plus in advance of the cruise date. Alaska cruises are extremely popular cruise and have a high demand for accessible cabins. Therefore many who need an accessible cabin book as soon as the cruise date/itinerary is opened.

Being that your friend has MS which is considered a pre-existing condition it's recommended that trip insurance be purchased that has medical and evacuation coverage. Though most of the Ports will be in the USA it is possible that if a medical emergency did arise while at sea the closest hospital could be in Canada where insurance than becomes an issue . Making the assumption that due to his total disability your friend is on Medicare and will not cover any medical costs in Canada or any medical costs on board the ship. Therefore in order to have the pre-existing wavier included in the trip insurance the policy must be purchased within 10-14 days of the initial booking date. Note RCCL's trip insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions so it would have to be purchased independently. Policies/costs can be compared on the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.quotewright.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

Please advise if I can be of any further assistance .

Edited by xxoocruiser

chris_kelowna, just want to mention this, as your friend is considering an Alaska cruise... Royal Caribbean may very well be able to offer the experience that is desired, but I would suggest also checking with Princess to compare what is available. I met a girl quite a few years ago, whose mother was confined to a large, motorized wheelchair and had the dream of going on an Alaska cruise. Certainly a challenge, as they lived in Wisconsin and her mother didn't fly. It happened though, by them taking Amtrak across the country. The cruise was everything she had dreamed of, and the Princess crew was amazing and absolutely treated her like a Queen! I had the opportunity to meet this woman and she had had the trip of a lifetime.

Has your friend considered speaking to a travel agent that specializes in cruises? The TA could handle many of the details and provide advice to make sure things go as smooth as possible. Again, I'm just mentioning Princess, as the w/c bound woman had such a wonderful cruise. Wishing the best for your friend to experience a memorable cruise with his family.

Thank you all for the great responses and information. We are Canadian and my friend is retired military, so health insurance is not an issue. I will pass on the email addresses. Thanks again

Thank you all for the great responses and information. We are Canadian and my friend is retired military, so health insurance is not an issue. I will pass on the email addresses. Thanks again

Being that you and your friend are Canadian than the reverse applies and does become an issue if a medical emergency occurs that requires transport to a USA Hospital. Additionally you need to check if your insurance will reimburse for any issues addressed by the ship's on board medical facility as most don't regardless of country of issue.

Edited by xxoocruiser

he needs to provide all of that. there are two companies that deal with cruise lines exclusively. he can arrange to rent a lift, etc to be in the cabin.

special needs at sea and care vacations.

the cabins themselves when fully accessible are well set up but may only be able to accommodate him, not his caregiver. I think a few ships/cabins have a connecting cabin for that option. it will probably be necessary to call and speak to someone directly as HA cabins do sell out very quickly.