Grandeur docking around the damage from Carnival Pride in Baltimore

From what I've heard, it was the bow mooring platform that folds out to allow the deck officer to watch the line handling that hit the ramp. Apparently, the ship came in at an angle, rather than parallel, and this platform can protrude over the edge of the dock. Not sure if the ramp was in the normal stowed position, I've heard conflicting stories.

Yeah, the Boston "park by the sound of breaking glass" prompted the invention of the rubber "bumper bully" to protect against this.

We sometimes call that parking by the "touch method." When space is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks to rear cameras its been awhile since I had to use the touch method lol.

For those interested, go to this website to access the USCG incident investigation reports.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjD0uz93M3MAhUGVT4KHUOIABkQFggfMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcgmix.uscg.mil%2Fiir%2F&usg=AFQjCNEnWUW6ncgUp6n11G844uqqeRWAlg

Go to "search IIR" and then enter the vessel name. It may take a couple of months before this incident shows up there.

As I've stated, probably on one of the other threads, the USCG would have boarded at the earliest moment, and everyone on the bridge, in the bow mooring station, and in the Engine Control Room would have been tested for drug and alcohol use. I'm not sure what their jurisdiction is over the port employees, but they may have been tested as well. Basically anyone who could have had something to do with the incident, and their supervisors, even if off duty, or anyone who witnessed the incident gets tested.

And for those trivia minded, this was not a "collision" with the ramp, it was an "allision" since the ramp was a stationary object.

Learn something new every day. :) I thought it was called "incidental contact."

And for those trivia minded, this was not a "collision" with the ramp, it was an "allision" since the ramp was a stationary object.

I'll bet the insurance still charges their collision coverage.;)

Looks like CCL Pride got off today with minimal delay. Hear that there is a back up ramp there for such incidents. Grandeur should be OK.

R&D

No back up ramp as the kind that was hit.The ramp that was damaged cost almost $3 million They have in storage an old ramp with canvas top they may use but would require riging to use it.

We board Grandeur on Thursday. Already dreading the idea of embarking via the crew ramp - I imagine that will be a much slower process?

Probably slower because people will be waiting for the elevator.

S: Important Notice: Grandeur of the Seas - May 12 Check-In Times

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your May 12 sailing onboard Grandeur of the Seas. We are anticipating some delays in our debarkation and embarkation process. As a result, boarding for your cruise will now take place between 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM with departure shortly after at 4:00 PM. We ask guests not to arrive the terminal before 11:30 AM. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Grandeur of the Seas.

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your May 12 sailing onboard Grandeur of the Seas. We are anticipating some delays in our debarkation and embarkation process. As a result, boarding for your cruise will now take place between 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM with departure shortly after at 4:00 PM. We ask guests not to arrive the terminal before 11:30 AM. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Grandeur of the Seas.

Hope it's not the same for the 26th I've a shuttle bus ordered and will be at the terminal at about 11

Please keep us posted on your embarkations! Hopefully it will be fixed before we sail on June 4th!!!

I'm boarding the grandeur when it gets back tomorrow so I'm interested to see if this causes us any interruption. Hopefully as some of you said here we won't have any issues.

Keep us posted and enjoy your cruise!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: My May 12th cruise was boarded with minimal delay, granted I showed up almost as early as they'd let me so I'm not sure if that played a big part or not.

I was very surprised how smooth the process went, I was in line waiting to pay for my parking and ~30-40 minutes later I was sitting on the pool deck with a drink in hand.

Edited by bcraig10488

Update: My May 12th cruise was boarded with minimal delay, granted I showed up almost as early as they'd let me so I'm not sure if that played a big part or not.

I was very surprised how smooth the process went, I was in line waiting to pay for my parking and ~30-40 minutes later I was sitting on the pool deck with a drink in hand.

Very nice -- Now that's how you start a vacation. Did you happen to notice any progress to the gangway?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very nice -- Now that's how you start a vacation. Did you happen to notice any progress to the gangway?

I saw zero progress on that. Did not look to me like anything had been done aside for cleaning up the mess on the asphalt.

I saw zero progress on that. Did not look to me like anything had been done aside for cleaning up the mess on the asphalt.

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the work is "off site" rebuilding that section, then when completed, they'll make repairs to the couplings and reattach. I know it sounds simple, I hope it is.