Grandeur docking around the damage from Carnival Pride in Baltimore

Grandeur (as with most ships) can disembark and re-board at pier level as when they are at a port of call. The ramp, while more convenient, is not required. As per other threads, Carnival Pride hit the ramp while docking yesterday. Fortunately there were no injuries.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Grandeur (as with most ships) can disembark and re-board at pier level as when they are at a port of call. The ramp, while more convenient, is not required. As per other threads, Carnival Pride hit the ramp while docking yesterday. Fortunately there were no injuries.

So glad to hear no one was hurt. Must have made an awful sound.

Local news had witnesses saying that they could hear the crash as the section tipped over. It looks like the most damage occurred at the end that had it attached to the rest of the gangway, like it was ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will respond as I have on the other threads about this both here on RCI and over on the Carnival forums.

Rather than listen to local news, I will wait for the results of the USCG investigation before I place a whole lot of blame.

Because the ship is moving, and the ramp is essentially a stationary object, the ship is by definition "at fault", even though the ship has limited stopping ability. Since the ship is at fault, the Captain is responsible. Now whether this was an error by the bridge team, a mechanical failure, an act of god (wind gust), or caused by an outside force (another ship's wake acting on the Pride), that has yet to be determined, and this will determine if the Captain was "at fault" or not.

I will respond as I have on the other threads about this both here on RCI and over on the Carnival forums.

Rather than listen to local news, I will wait for the results of the USCG investigation before I place a whole lot of blame.

Because the ship is moving, and the ramp is essentially a stationary object, the ship is by definition "at fault", even though the ship has limited stopping ability. Since the ship is at fault, the Captain is responsible. Now whether this was an error by the bridge team, a mechanical failure, an act of god (wind gust), or caused by an outside force (another ship's wake acting on the Pride), that has yet to be determined, and this will determine if the Captain was "at fault" or not.

Well said. We'll have to see what the USCG says. I wonder how long it will take to rebuild/repair/replace it.

Chief, as always you have many valid points. I have read the Carnival Boards but did not post there as it is a lot of back and forth. I am more curious to what would stick out far enough (on the ship) to hit the gangway. I would have thought that anything hanging that far out from either "side", either from the ship or land, would have meant "crashing" the ship on the pier.:confused: Hopefully I explained that well enough.

That all being said, just as you explained, the pier is stationary and the Captain is in control of the moving ship. Just like me with the car on the street, you park where you fit. If I dont I move on or wait until the spot is prepared for my arrival. That all being said, I have watched others park by feel, and seen them tap the car in front and the car behind until they fit.;)

Well said. We'll have to see what the USCG says. I wonder how long it will take to rebuild/repair/replace it.

I'll give them a month and a half (since we're boarding Grandeur June 23rd *sly grin*)

I'll give them a month and a half (since we're boarding Grandeur June 23rd *sly grin*)

I totally understand. I don't know about the rest of you, but there's a certain thrill, an adrenaline rush that I get crossing the gangway; knowing that the stresses of life are at one end and that I'm going towards the other. My next Grandeur Cruise is in September. I would hope it would be back in operation by then.

Chief, as always you have many valid points. I have read the Carnival Boards but did not post there as it is a lot of back and forth. I am more curious to what would stick out far enough (on the ship) to hit the gangway. I would have thought that anything hanging that far out from either "side", either from the ship or land, would have meant "crashing" the ship on the pier.:confused: Hopefully I explained that well enough.

That all being said, just as you explained, the pier is stationary and the Captain is in control of the moving ship. Just like me with the car on the street, you park where you fit. If I dont I move on or wait until the spot is prepared for my arrival. That all being said, I have watched others park by feel, and seen them tap the car in front and the car behind until they fit.;)

That was the first thing that came to my mind too - if the ramp was pushed back from the ship, there shouldn't be anything that could hit the ramp/wheels?? It will be interesting when they release the chain of events!

From what I've heard, it was the bow mooring platform that folds out to allow the deck officer to watch the line handling that hit the ramp. Apparently, the ship came in at an angle, rather than parallel, and this platform can protrude over the edge of the dock. Not sure if the ramp was in the normal stowed position, I've heard conflicting stories.

Yeah, the Boston "park by the sound of breaking glass" prompted the invention of the rubber "bumper bully" to protect against this.

From what I've heard, it was the bow mooring platform that folds out to allow the deck officer to watch the line handling that hit the ramp. Apparently, the ship came in at an angle, rather than parallel, and this platform can protrude over the edge of the dock. Not sure if the ramp was in the normal stowed position, I've heard conflicting stories.

Yeah, the Boston "park by the sound of breaking glass" prompted the invention of the rubber "bumper bully" to protect against this.

That angle must have been "just perfect" to get that perverbial one in a million shot. Kind of like the Episode of Seinfeld, with "Fusilli Jerry". I guess we might hear one day what happened. The positive is, that with the damage caused, somehow no one was hurt.

If you have forgot about Fusilli Jerry, here's the clip.

[YOUTUBE]7ZPiWDOCEak[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by A&L_Ont