Embarking and Disembarking with your own scooter?

tigercat

I am looking at buying a scooter and bringing it on my next cruise. however I was wondering if people had problems getting them on and off the ship when embarking and disembarking. It is a long ramp up.

I usually get a wheelchair so this will be a first for me. It will be a Go Go LX.

tigercat

I am looking at buying a scooter and bringing it on my next cruise. however I was wondering if people had problems getting them on and off the ship when embarking and disembarking. It is a long ramp up.

I usually get a wheelchair so this will be a first for me. It will be a Go Go LX.

tigercat

The long ramp is generally not the issue with the Pride GoGo LX. The issue will be getting over the connecting joint at the ending/beginning of the ramp on embarkation and disembarkation day as well as gangway on port days due to the fact that Pride GoGo LX only has an underclearance of 1.5" .

Should the scooter get hung up on the joints DO NOT allow the ship personal to give the scooter a hard push as by doing so can cause damage to motor. Should the scooter get hung up on the joints place the scooter in freewheel mode by moving the YELLOW LEVER located on the rear wheel section to the unlocked postion. If it's possible for you to get off the scooter and walk holding the gangway hand rails it's best to do that and let the ship personnel free roll the scooter down/up the gangway.

If the ship's personnel gives the scooter a hard push before you can explain to them not to do so the scooter will stop abruptly. If this happens turn the scooter off. Than look for the look for the little clear bubble located on the front of the battery back. That's the reset button. Press it than turn the scooter to the on position if the scooter moves that motor probably has not been damaged. However if after trying this a couple times and the scooter doesn't restart than the motor has been damaged.

Hi,

When I started using my scooter it changed my life, I can enjoy my cruising (as well as my normal life) I can keep up with my wife whilst off the ship and having one makes it easier to get around the ship.

Embarkation - When using the long zig zag type of ramp, the only problem I have is where there are the moveable connection plates, but I just take them very slowly. I also make sure I look out for other passengers, they don't see you!

Gangplanks - The problem is where there are a short ramp up to get to the long ramp down, as xxoocruiser states, be careful if they want to push you, what I do is get off my scooter knock it into neutral and then let them get it over the hump, I then put it back into gear and ride it down the ramp slowly myself. Usually the staff make sure you are the only person using the gangplank at that time and they chaperone you along. Sometimes these gangplanks can be a bit bumpy (it's the nearest thing to riding an amusement park ride that I get :) )

When returning to the ship when it visiting a port the staff will direct you to which gangplank to use.

Something that I have encountered more recently, which I think is a good thing, is when I return to the ship and go through the security I have had my scooter swabbed for illegal substances.

Pete

Please remember to book an accessible cabin as you cannot park the scooter in the hall and most do not fit through the doorway.

The OP is considering purchasing a Pride Go Go LX mobility scooter. Being that this particular scooter is 20.5" wide it will fit through the door of an RCCL standard cabin as long as the arm rests are adjusted to same width or less.

Therefore if the OP doesn't need the features of an accessible bathroom than a standard cabin is doable as I have done it many times prior to requiring an accessible washroom.

Hi,

Something that I have encountered more recently, which I think is a good thing, is when I return to the ship and go through the security I have had my scooter swabbed for illegal substances.

Pete

Thank you for mentioning that. I had not seen anyone say anything about this before and when they had me wait before I got back on the ship, I didn't know what was going on. Finally someone came and swabbed my chair arms. Then I understood.

However, it would have been nice if I had known it was going to happen. I was not upset about it though. It just takes a few minutes.

Thank you all for the tips. I have been thinking about the LX and have coverage for it but the height clearance is something that worries me. The problem I have is that I want it for cruises but I need it for around home.

I will be on the Carnival Conquest and then the Glory but the door clearance is the same so s far as I can see I will be able to get it through the door. Actually the place that I am buying it from rents them for people going on cruises and they haven't had a problem with them.

Also I had already decided to take the arms off of it to make it even easier to get through the door.

I have a walker right now and they regularly swab it so having the scooter looked at won't be a problem.

Things to think about. I really am interested in what others think and do with the scooters. The more information I have before I buy it the better. I have time because before the insurance will pay for it I had to apply for a government grant to help pay for it. What ever the grant doesn't pay for the insurance will.

So on that note are there other things I should think about in regards to a scooter? I need it here at home to take my grandkids out to the park for walks and if they want to use their bikes. I look after them all summer long. Last year was horrible as we ended up stuck at home the whole time as I was unable to do things. As well going to stores and other places will be good as right now there are so many places my husband and I can't go to because I am unable to walk.

tigercat

Thank you all for the tips. I have been thinking about the LX and have coverage for it but the height clearance is something that worries me. The problem I have is that I want it for cruises but I need it for around home.

I will be on the Carnival Conquest and then the Glory but the door clearance is the same so s far as I can see I will be able to get it through the door. Actually the place that I am buying it from rents them for people going on cruises and they haven't had a problem with them.

Also I had already decided to take the arms off of it to make it even easier to get through the door.

I have a walker right now and they regularly swab it so having the scooter looked at won't be a problem.

Things to think about. I really am interested in what others think and do with the scooters. The more information I have before I buy it the better. I have time because before the insurance will pay for it I had to apply for a government grant to help pay for it. What ever the grant doesn't pay for the insurance will.

So on that note are there other things I should think about in regards to a scooter? I need it here at home to take my grandkids out to the park for walks and if they want to use their bikes. I look after them all summer long. Last year was horrible as we ended up stuck at home the whole time as I was unable to do things. As well going to stores and other places will be good as right now there are so many places my husband and I can't go to because I am unable to walk.

tigercat

Generally the only scooters that don't have the issue of getting hung up on the joint gangways from time to time are a Full Size and Bariatric Size mobility scooters. Ground clearance is going to be an issue for just about every portable travel scooter regardless of make and model which also includes all models in the Pride Go Go Series.

Though the place that you're purchasing it from also rents scooters , they're not always going to tell you that the ground clearance may be an issue at times going over the joints on the gangways. With all due respect though the retailer is concerned about fitting you for the right scooter in the end generating revenue is a primary concern.

Regardless of the make/model whether or not ground clearance getting on/off at port impedes the process in any way depends on variables totally out of you control such as the water level as it fluctuates depending on the tide which affects the incline of the gangway. The crew will assist you getting on/off with the scooter. Just don't let them force push the scooter to get you over the joints as that can damage the motor. Place it in freewheel mode first .

I personally own a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler and absolutely love it because of it's size as well as ease of breaking it down/reassembling it in/out of my Honda CR-V. Even having MS that has impacted my legs I'm still able to do it on my own. However choose not to take my personal scooter on cruises as I have several friends that have had their scooter damaged beyond repair by the airlines. In fact one has had theirs replaced 3 times from the airlines. So since I'm still somewhat ambulatory with a walker I rent from http://www.CareVacations.com . FYI http://www.CareVacations.com and http://www.SpecialNeedsatSeas.com which are Carnival's two approved rental providers use the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus and the Pride Go Go Sport as its main cruise rentals and both models have only a 1.5" ground clearance. Therefore most cruise personnel stationed at the gangway should have experience in handling this issue as there are many of these models used on board all cruise ships.

Even with having coverage have you considered actually renting one for the cruise whether it be from you local dealer or one of Carnival's approved vendors to see whether or a scooter from the Pride Go Go Series fits your overall needs before actually purchasing it ? That's what I did before buying my Pride Go Go Elite Traveler 7 years ago. Just a thought.

Edited by xxoocruiser

XXOO, That is exactly why we like to drive to Bayonne or Baltimore to cruise. My wife's scooter has been damaged on every flight we have taken it.

Unfortunately for me there's no Caribbean cruises leaving from the Port of Chicago. Thus the reason I choose to rent a scooter and not take mine.

I recently purchased a Lexis Light Scooter after researching pretty extensively. My husband passed last year so I knew I needed one that I could handle alone and love my choice so far! I picked it for weight (54 lbs. when folded and hauled as a suitcase or 2 pieces, the heaviest 28lbs. The battery is in addition to this).

The other criteria, after reading comments on this site, was ground clearance. This scooter has a clearance of 3.65" - the best I have found.

This is so easy for me to get in the car and put together as needed and works well all around town. I am scheduled for a TA next year on NCL and can't wait to take it with me!

Thank you for mentioning that. I had not seen anyone say anything about this before and when they had me wait before I got back on the ship, I didn't know what was going on. Finally someone came and swabbed my chair arms. Then I understood.

However, it would have been nice if I had known it was going to happen. I was not upset about it though. It just takes a few minutes.

Hi Carol,

They pick you randomly or via risk assessment so they will never tell you before you go to their work station.

Just imagine if you were told (even a few moments before) you would have time to get rid of anything they were testing for.

Pete

To be fair to the store that I am getting it from they are really caring about helping people as it was started because of family members who had trouble with getting scooters. As well when I was asking them about getting around the ship we didn't talk about getting on and off the ship.

We thought about renting from a place near the cruise ship but I really do need it here. I believe the cost to me would be about $250.00 to rent. That is a lot of money. As well we are driving from Canada for this cruise so at this point I don't have to worry about the airlines. That was one of my concerns as well.

That is a good thought though to rent one. I will look into it.

tigercat

Hi Carol,

They pick you randomly or via risk assessment so they will never tell you before you go to their work station.

Just imagine if you were told (even a few moments before) you would have time to get rid of anything they were testing for.

Pete

That's not what I meant. I was referring to it being nice if I had read it on CC before I cruised but I had never seen it before. I understand why the people doing the testing would not have told me. I don't mind them doing it. I am actually glad they do it if it helps the ship be more secure.

It was just that I was out there waiting and didn't know what I was waiting for.

Then when I got on the ship, they patted me down, which I was expecting and didn't mind at all.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to it being nice if I had read it on CC before I cruised but I had never seen it before. I understand why the people doing the testing would not have told me. I don't mind them doing it. I am actually glad they do it if it helps the ship be more secure.

It was just that I was out there waiting and didn't know what I was waiting for.

Then when I got on the ship, they patted me down, which I was expecting and didn't mind at all.

Fairy snuff :)

Pete