To Cruisetour or Not to Cruisetour...That is the ?

txwriter

Can anyone tell me an approximate budget for food per day? I know I can look at menus but am wondering if we will have access to food other than at Princess lodges.

Cost depends on eating style. http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/documents/Base_Camp_2015.pdf

http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/documents/KS_Dinner_2015.pdf

McKinley Lodge is isolated so unless you eat in Talkeetna (1 hr paid shuttle from the lodge) it is your only option.

Denali Lodge is very close to multiple eating options.

Cost depends on eating style. http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/documents/Base_Camp_2015.pdf

http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/documents/KS_Dinner_2015.pdf

McKinley Lodge is isolated so unless you eat in Talkeetna (1 hr paid shuttle from the lodge) it is your only option.

Denali Lodge is very close to multiple eating options.

Thank you. Can we buy cokes ahead of time in town and take with us?

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the great replies and information! It's been very very helpful. Mom and I talked about it this evening, and we went through the pros and cons of both styles of travel. She'd been under the impression that: 1. I wanted to drive and 2: a cruisetour was too expensive. Neither was the case. She picked doing a cruisetour, and I admit I am somewhat relieved. Now she just has to decide which one. It will come down to what she wants to see/do.

I am especially grateful for the personal stories and details on the differences between a regular cruisetour and connoisseur tours and the tip about finding prices for meals. We already have a cruise booked and will probably stick with that same one unless we find it would be better to go a little later. I would like to see some green in Denali after all.

SO MUCH GRATITUDE for all of you. It's really helped ease my mind.:D

Remembering your prior posts, I was under the same impression as your mom. So glad you changed your mind. You won't regret it. Come on over to roll call if you want to learn specifics as I have done the C Tour a few years ago and am doing it again the same time you might, land first/sea second...with the ship departing the same day.

I've learned now to fly in the day before to help with the jet lag (East Coast here) and get some rest before the hustle and bustle of the land tour, as well as taking advantage of some free time to do things I wanted to do the last time but couldn't, because of the tour schedule.

In 2009, I found Cokes on land for about $7. Expect to pay more than what you're used to, for most necessities.(?) All goods are trucked, shipped, or flown to Alaska and that costs $$$.

Although it's early yet to purchase, Princess has packages where you can buy cans of soda to be delivered to your cabin on the ship. Last check, and it was awhile ago, averaged $2.60 per can. So, trying to get ahead money-wise is worth the search.

Remembering your prior posts, I was under the same impression as your mom. So glad you changed your mind. You won't regret it. Come on over to roll call if you want to learn specifics as I have done the C Tour a few years ago and am doing it again the same time you might, land first/sea second...with the ship departing the same day.

I've learned now to fly in the day before to help with the jet lag (East Coast here) and get some rest before the hustle and bustle of the land tour, as well as taking advantage of some free time to do things I wanted to do the last time but couldn't, because of the tour schedule.

In 2009, I found Cokes on land for about $7. Expect to pay more than what you're used to, for most necessities.(?) All goods are trucked, shipped, or flown to Alaska and that costs $$$.

Although it's early yet to purchase, Princess has packages where you can buy cans of soda to be delivered to your cabin on the ship. Last check, and it was awhile ago, averaged $2.60 per can. So, trying to get ahead money-wise is worth the search.

Well, the cruisetour is definitely more expensive than a DIY, but it is manageable. I had decided on driving mostly because I thought it would be easiest on Mom, but it seems I was wrong. Won't be the last time, I'm sure. ;)

Thanks for the information on Cokes (we are actually liking the Cherry Coke Zeros now though plain Coke Zero is good too; maybe I'll be able to wean myself off by then but probably not). I was planning on picking some up in ANC when we were going to do the DIY tour for the ship, but that's changed now. Did you get to take the cokes with you in 2009 on the land portion of the tour, or did you ship them to the ship directly?

I will eventually join the roll call, but I will wait until we've booked our tour and it's a little closer to our travel. It gives me something else to look forward to. Thanks for the help. Mom is actually in charge of picking which tour we take. After all, this trip is for her.

There is a store close to the Denali lodge that carries wines etc and soda. The other idea is to explore the Anchorage / Girdwood area --in 2012 we stayed in Girdwood -- and purchase soda before your night at the Captain Cook Hotel (part of the cruise tour) then put it in your luggage to be sent to the ship. There is a store close to the Captain Cook hotel but expect to pay a higher price than at "home". If you have a rental car then stop at Walmart.

Edited by Alaskanb

Well, the cruisetour is definitely more expensive than a DIY, but it is manageable. I had decided on driving mostly because I thought it would be easiest on Mom, but it seems I was wrong. Won't be the last time, I'm sure. ;)

Thanks for the information on Cokes (we are actually liking the Cherry Coke Zeros now though plain Coke Zero is good too; maybe I'll be able to wean myself off by then but probably not). I was planning on picking some up in ANC when we were going to do the DIY tour for the ship, but that's changed now. Did you get to take the cokes with you in 2009 on the land portion of the tour, or did you ship them to the ship directly?

I will eventually join the roll call, but I will wait until we've booked our tour and it's a little closer to our travel. It gives me something else to look forward to. Thanks for the help. Mom is actually in charge of picking which tour we take. After all, this trip is for her.

No Cokes provided on the land tour, unless you choose the C Tour, then, they are provided with the free meals (which you already paid for).

I've decided to rent a car, and, purchase a 'day before'...at the lodge, in Fairbanks, before Day 1, then do some shopping at a local grocery store the next day (when everyone else is arriving). The last time, I relied on their vending machines at the lodges for soda.

The ship, to my knowledge, doesn't carry all the different Coke flavors you seem to like. It maybe worthwhile to see how much it costs to transport your own ahead of time?

We went into the TA office yesterday, asked a few more questions, and booked the MB7 Off th Beaten Path cruisetour. It was that or the PB8 connoisseur tour, but the cost difference of the MB7 was about $2200 less. We have added one night in YVR and may make it 2. Not sure if we will add day before in Fairbanks or possibly in ANC then take a hopper up. We have plenty of time to decide. Very excited!:):):)

If you've done this tour before and have advice, it's more than welcomed.

Can anyone tell me an approximate budget for food per day? I know I can look at menus but am wondering if we will have access to food other than at Princess lodges.

We did a Princess cruise tour last summer and have also done DIY with a car. I think you'll enjoy your decision to do the cruise tour. We had one night in Anchorage, one night at the McKinley Lodge, one night at Denali, and two nights in Fairbanks. We probably spent on average $90 per day on food, but we generally don't eat breakfast - just coffee and maybe a danish. I would suggest you eat in Talkeetna before going to the McKinley Lodge - the Wildflower Cafe is one of our favorites. The shuttle to the lodge is convenient, but it is a long ride and we were glad we didn't go to the lodge first.

There are several places to eat across the street from the McKinley Lodge, but they really aren't inexpensive - we had two hot dogs and soft drinks that cost a little under $30. The pizza place at the lodge is good and we had lunch at the main restaurant.

Are you going on to Fairbanks?

Edited by mek

We probably spent on average $90 per day on food, but we generally don't eat breakfast - just coffee and maybe a danish. I would suggest you eat in Talkeetna before going to the McKinley Lodge - the Wildflower Cafe is one of our favorites. The shuttle to the lodge is convenient, but it is a long ride and we were glad we didn't go to the lodge first.

There are several places to eat across the street from the McKinley Lodge, but they really aren't inexpensive - we had two hot dogs and soft drinks that cost a little under $30. The pizza place at the lodge is good and we had lunch at the main restaurant.

Yes, we start our tour with two nights in Fairbanks. We then go to the Denali Princess lodge for 2 nights, the McKinley lodge 1 night, and finally the Kenai lodge for 2 nights. Thanks for the budgeting info and for the suggestion about looking around and eating when we stop in Talkeetna before taking shuttle to lodge.

Any suggestions for Fairbanks? We are still too far out to know when we will get into town.

We did a Princess cruise tour last summer and have also done DIY with a car. I think you'll enjoy your decision to do the cruise tour. We had one night in Anchorage, one night at the McKinley Lodge, one night at Denali, and two nights in Fairbanks. We probably spent on average $90 per day on food, but we generally don't eat breakfast - just coffee and maybe a danish. I would suggest you eat in Talkeetna before going to the McKinley Lodge - the Wildflower Cafe is one of our favorites. The shuttle to the lodge is convenient, but it is a long ride and we were glad we didn't go to the lodge first.

Post deleted

Edited by mek

Yes, we start our tour with two nights in Fairbanks. We then go to the Denali Princess lodge for 2 nights, the McKinley lodge 1 night, and finally the Kenai lodge for 2 nights. Thanks for the budgeting info and for the suggestion about looking around and eating when we stop in Talkeetna before taking shuttle to lodge.

Any suggestions for Fairbanks? We are still too far out to know when we will get into town.

Correction - I made a mistake - the places to eat across the street are at the Denali Princess Lodge, not the McKinley Lodge - there is nothing there except the restaurant at the Lodge.

Do you know at which hotel in Fairbanks you will be staying?

Edited by mek

Correction - I made a mistake - the places to eat across the street are at the Denali Princess Lodge, not the McKinley Lodge - there is nothing there except the restaurant at the Lodge.

Do you know at which hotel in Fairbanks you will be staying?

It shows us at Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge.

It shows us at Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge.

We stayed at the Bear Lodge, but dropped folks off on our bus ,(we came up from Denali), at the hotel where you are staying before going on to ours. From what I recall, there was a restaurant close to your hotel but it was kind of out by itself and closer to the airport than the Bear Lodge. I know they mentioned a shuttle was available for a charge to go into town.

We did the dinner show and salmon bake at the Pioneer Village and it was great. The dinner was delicious and the show was silly, but fun. You might want to look into that for one night. We took our shuttle to Fred Meyer on the afternoon before we left and had lunch at the deli - which is extensive and there are plenty of tables available. Quite a few of the people staying at our hotel did the same thing. It was the least expensive meal we had and very tasty.

Edited by mek

We stayed at the Bear Lodge, but dropped folks off on our bus ,(we came up from Denali), at the hotel where you are staying before going on to ours. From what I recall, there was a restaurant close to your hotel but it was kind of out by itself and closer to the airport than the Bear Lodge. I know they mentioned a shuttle was available for a charge to go into town.

We did the dinner show and salmon bake at the Pioneer Village and it was great. The dinner was delicious and the show was silly, but fun. You might want to look into that for one night. We took our shuttle to Fred Meyer on the afternoon before we left and had lunch at the deli - which is extensive and there are plenty of tables available. Quite a few of the people staying at our hotel did the same thing. It was the least expensive meal we had and very tasty.

Being so far from when we travel, I guess our hotel may change, but this is all excellent information. Thank you.:)

Being so far from when we travel, I guess our hotel may change, but this is all excellent information. Thank you.:)

We were very pleased that we stayed at the Bear Lodge, so if they change you, don't think you are being shortchanged. The rooms were nice and we had a huge bathroom. A free shuttle was included that went all around town and took us to the airport. The restaurant was fine. There was a fabulous old car museum right next door to the lodge where we spent the afternoon before we departed - close enough to walk to or the shuttle made a stop there.