Feeling very down......

Adding, what it means is that these people have to apply to become citizens, before reapplying for passports. It is affecting lots of people, children who were adopted for example, children whose parents have died, etc.

Yep, I understand the children who've been adopted saga, lol! Took us 10 years to get a passport for our daughter, and in that time she could not leave the country. In a nutshell, she was adopted overseas. Because OS had no idea who her parents were, they would not give her a BC. Because the adoption was finalised OS Australia wouldn't give her one (even though the adoption was approved in Oz and we went through the correct channels, including immigration). A couple of kids were caught in this limbo, and after lobbying, the gov't changed the clause, but didn't backdate it far enough, so she missed out. More lobbying, and she was able to get a passport. Six months ago she finally got a BC!! So in the future passports will be routine :) Persistence will get you there!

For those born after a specific date, it is. And it IS the case. If parents were not citizens at time of birth, the child no longer has automatic citizenship just due to being born here. He has told me they have had to reject many applications already. It has to do with the parent being born after that 1986 date, parent must have been a citizen, and they have to provide parents australian citizenship AND grandparents australian birth certificate.

As per the link from the government site it shows that they still are citizens. They acquire it on their 10th birthday.

Read through the document and you'll see that it doesn't require your parents to be citizens.

Adding, what it means is that these people have to apply to become citizens, before reapplying for passports. It is affecting lots of people, children who were adopted for example, children whose parents have died, etc.

It sounds like that was the change. They don't just have to show their birth certificates, but provide the citizenship certificate. That is provided by the form I linked above and e.g .if you provide a birth certificate from here and are over 10 then you will be able to get one. With that you can then apply for your passport.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. My sister has her work colleague signing as guarantor for both her and my son today, and all I have to do is get a photo re-signed by my doctor as she didn't write my name clear enough on the other one, then we can send the forms in! M sister has had to have her friend do hers again as she signed one part with "suzie" but the other half of her guarantor "Suzanne", so that was wrong of course, thats why "Suzie is doing hers again today. I just hope she concentrates and reads the flippin instructions properly on my son's as she has to sign the Witness on one form for him. Ugh, I sound like a crazy person. I just want this to be over and then start dreaming of the cruise again.....:(:cool:

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. My sister has her work colleague signing as guarantor for both her and my son today, and all I have to do is get a photo re-signed by my doctor as she didn't write my name clear enough on the other one, then we can send the forms in! M sister has had to have her friend do hers again as she signed one part with "suzie" but the other half of her guarantor "Suzanne", so that was wrong of course, thats why "Suzie is doing hers again today. I just hope she concentrates and reads the flippin instructions properly on my son's as she has to sign the Witness on one form for him. Ugh, I sound like a crazy person. I just want this to be over and then start dreaming of the cruise again.....:(:cool:

I hope they get it right for you this time.

Using a teacher is a good idea.

I am a teacher and in the last 25ish years I have witnessed a few hundred passports.

If you have a son at school they will happily sign for him and will probably sign for you as you are 'known to the school' through your enrolment of him.

Yes it's a painful process but cheer up it is so worth getting it done.

Raina

My sister's work colleague signed as my son's Guarantor, but I'm afraid there a few mistakes made, I have put my initials and she put hers where needed, but I have a strong feeling they won't accept it as I put a 5 above the box due to a mistake I made where the date is, UGH! I will keep trying.

Update time....I just put my son's form in, they even took it with the mistakes, although I did initial them and so did the witness and Guarantor, so I am happy about that, a bit relieved shall I say! Now we just have to see if the Passport is happy with it all....:):cool: