Salerno - Amalfi - Ravello - Vietri sul Mare

julieawill

We will be in Salerno in mid-September from 7:00a - 6:30p. My basic plan is to take the ferry (8:20 NavLib) from Salerno to Amalfi, and either the SITA bus or taxi to Ravello. We will tour both Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone in Ravello (approx 3 hours), and then probably take a taxi/bus to Vietri sul Mare with a photo stop in Cetara. Is this a reasonable itinerary? We previously toured Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano with SeeAmalfiCoast in 2013, so this time we want to focus on the southern end of the Amalfi Coast. Ravello is my must-see on this trip, and I would love to find some tiles in Vietri for our kitchen remodel.

I have some specific questions:

1. I understand there is a new cruise port in Salerno. Is it now open and operating? Can you walk from Piazza della Liberta to the Molo Manfredi pier for the ferry?

2. Is it easy to transfer from the pier in Amalfi to the bus for Ravello? I understand it runs every 30 minutes. If we miss it, should we just grab a taxi, and what is the approximate price for the taxi (I am more concerned about spending time waiting, than I am about a few extra dollars)?

3. Are taxis easy to find in Ravello and what is the approximate price from Ravello to Vietri sul Mare, with a photo stop in Cetara? Is it just as reasonable to take the bus from Ravello to Amalfi, and then another bus to Vietri sul Mare (skipping the photo stop)?

4. Is it reasonably easy to get a cab in Vietri sul Mare for the quick trip to the port?

We are resigned to the fact that we will have to return many times to see all of the Amalfi Coast <grin>.

I have read through many prior posts which have been invaluable for narrowing down our interests for this cruise. I look forward to hearing the opinions of those who have gone before us, and those who post frequently to offer advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Julie

There's a plan for a new cruise port in Salerno but I don't think they've done much more than that so far.

Molo Manfredi is where the cruise ships dock so ferries from there are an easy walk.

Most ferries use Piazza Concordia which is a mile and a quarter from Molo Manfredi. It's an easy walk along the waterfront or you can use the public bus to get there.

At Amalfi it's only a tenth of a mile to Piazza Gioia, where the buses arrive/depart.

It does appear that NavLib operates out of Molo Manfredi, and the 8:20 is a jet boat.

Thanks for the tip on walking from Vietri sul Mare. My husband lived in Italy for 2 years back in the '70s, spending several months in Salerno. If time allows, we may opt to catch a taxi and see some of the old town.

Thanks EuroCruiser, you've been most helpful.

Okay eurocruiser, I've been checking taxi prices, and the bus situation. Is it really 30 euro from Amalfi to Ravello? Yikes! I've also seen warnings that the buses can be super-crowded with no air-conditioning. What is it really like on a SITA bus in mid-September? And is it less-crowded between Amalfi and Salerno.

We were on the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento to Positano) in late-September in 2013, and the traffic was non-existent.

The €30 doesn't surprise me. I don't know for sure but I would guess that a taxi from Amalfi can't pick up a fare in Ravello, just as one from Naples can't pick up a fare in Ercolano. As a result you wind up paying for the round trip.

By mid-September the bus probably won't be so horrendously crowded, I would plan on using it and keep the cab option in my back pocket as a fall back option if the bus is too crowded.

The big traffic is between Amalfi and Positano, that's the bus that gets so crowded that it doesn't even stop. The eastern end of the coast is much quieter.

We will be in Salerno in mid-September from 7:00a - 6:30p. My basic plan is to take the ferry (8:20 NavLib) from Salerno to Amalfi, and either the SITA bus or taxi to Ravello. We will tour both Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone in Ravello (approx 3 hours), and then probably take a taxi/bus to Vietri sul Mare with a photo stop in Cetara. Is this a reasonable itinerary? We previously toured Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano with SeeAmalfiCoast in 2013, so this time we want to focus on the southern end of the Amalfi Coast. Ravello is my must-see on this trip, and I would love to find some tiles in Vietri for our kitchen remodel.

I have some specific questions:

1. I understand there is a new cruise port in Salerno. Is it now open and operating? Can you walk from Piazza della Liberta to the Molo Manfredi pier for the ferry?

The new terminal has been completed and handed over. I'm not sure whether they have started operating out of there yet but will be there next month and am hoping so. Since it was planned to be ready for this cruising season I would think by September it will be fine. There has been some press about it if you google it since it's the first completed building by the architect Zaha Hadid since her recent death.http://www.dezeen.com/2016/04/25/zaha-hadid-architects-salerno-maritime-ferry-terminal-italy-concrete/

However, if you intend to catch the ferry from Molo Manfredo you presumably will not go to the new terminal, as it's a bus ride away since the only way out of the port is by bus and you will presumably remain in port and just move to a different berth. Having only caught the ferry from the small ferry pier in Salerno I don't know how to change from cruise ship to ferry within the port

2. Is it easy to transfer from the pier in Amalfi to the bus for Ravello? I understand it runs every 30 minutes. If we miss it, should we just grab a taxi, and what is the approximate price for the taxi (I am more concerned about spending time waiting, than I am about a few extra dollars)?

Taxis are very few and VERY expensive - 30 euros sounds about right. The bus stop is a short walk to where the ferry drops you, across to your right. There shouldn't be as much of a crush as in the middle of summer but be prepared to jump straight off the ferry to get to the head of the bus line and don't be afraid to 'assert' yourself when getting on the bus ;)

3. Are taxis easy to find in Ravello and what is the approximate price from Ravello to Vietri sul Mare, with a photo stop in Cetara? Is it just as reasonable to take the bus from Ravello to Amalfi, and then another bus to Vietri sul Mare (skipping the photo stop)?

4. Is it reasonably easy to get a cab in Vietri sul Mare for the quick trip to the port?

As someone pointed out, it's a nice, easy walk (around 30 mins) along the cliff top to the port but unfortunately you won't be able to walk into the port as it's a large industrial port, but will probably have to walk to where the port bus drops you, to catch a bus. If you can get a taxi in Vietri, and I would think it won't be an issue, I would grab one just to cut out the hassle factor

We are resigned to the fact that we will have to return many times to see all of the Amalfi Coast <grin>.

I have read through many prior posts which have been invaluable for narrowing down our interests for this cruise. I look forward to hearing the opinions of those who have gone before us, and those who post frequently to offer advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Julie

Hopefully the above answers will help.

Edited by Bobal

As had been said, taxis in Italy can be very expensive. Although they do have either meters or specific published rate schedules (hard to find for many places), many taxi drivers see cruisers as "easy paydays." In many places there are 2 different fares, one for the locals or those in the know, and the other for cruisers :(. So if using a taxi make sure to ask about the price before you get in the cab. And if there are no meters, everything is open to negotiation...although you will usually lose.

Hank

P.S. We think your itinerary is reasonable. Do not pass up the opportunity to sample some homemade Lemoncello while walking around Ravello.

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you Bobal and Hank, I was hoping you would both weigh in. I appreciate all the great advice you've given on these boards, and my trip has been planned after reading both your earlier posts, as well as euro cruiser's. I hope you know how much you are appreciated on these boards.

Bobal, did I read correctly that you will be in Salerno next month? If so, will you please update us on the status of the port?

Another question; has anyone visited the ceramics factories/stores in Vietri sul Mare? Any tips?

Thanks,

Julie

I will definitely update after I've visited Salerno next month. Even if the new terminal isn't open yet I'll try and get a date for when it will be :)

That would be so helpful; thank you. I've scoured and searched the boards, but I don't see anything from anyone that has actually been through the new terminal.

Just because the Prime Minister was there for an opening ceremony doesn't necessarily mean it's actually open and functioning. I haven't seen anything about it being in use on the Port Authority web site, but Italian companies and especially government agencies are not great about updating websites.

Just because the Prime Minister was there for an opening ceremony doesn't necessarily mean it's actually open and functioning. I haven't seen anything about it being in use on the Port Authority web site, but Italian companies and especially government agencies are not great about updating websites.

Or finishing construction projects :). I should also let you know we were in Italy (3 weeks ago) and noticed that there is not a big problem for those that would want to walk from the piers in Civitavecchia. We both know it can be a long hike (depending on docking position) but nice to know that it is still possible to walk right out the old entrance. The new bus set-up is well done, but adds a significant amount of time getting to the train station versus the old days. One of those strange Italian "improvement" projects that seems several steps backwards.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I should also let you know we were in Italy (3 weeks ago) and noticed that there is not a big problem for those that would want to walk from the piers in Civitavecchia. We both know it can be a long hike (depending on docking position) but nice to know that it is still possible to walk right out the old entrance.
Yes, the old entrance/exit by the fort is still functioning, it's just pedestrian only.

It seems that the Port Authority is trying to force cruise passengers into the new system using Via Turco because the cruise shuttle buses do not stop at the stop near the fort, but the ferry shuttles do.

So, if you are close enough to walk and willing to do it, you will save time getting to and back from the train station.

• 4 weeks later...