Single cruiser prices

johnw

The best deal I ever got with Princess was booking a cheap five-day Caribbean cruise on their website, where the OBC was almost as much as the per-person price... and actually doubled when booked as a single! I knew the promo was per person and not per cabin, but I was sure the system would never do something as fair as rewarding you twice for paying twice. :)

That was my experience, too. I booked a 14-day cruise as a solo for next January during a promo that Princess was running a few months back that included $150 of OBC per person. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my booking showed a $300 OBC. It certainly helped mitigate the sting of the solo supplement.

What is the best way to find the single supplement?

Also, has anyone ever done a back to back where you are solo only on the second half?

Edited by hsmom

What is the best way to find the single supplement?

When you are looking at the cruise prices on Princess' website, just change the number of passengers to "1" and you'll see the prices change immediately.

Also, has anyone ever done a back to back where you are solo only on the second half?

I did it the other way once--solo on the first one, then joined by two people. I had to change cabins because I needed one for three on that second half.

The way I look at it, the balcony cabin is about $3000, regardless of one person or two. I don't fee gouged about it being $1500 x 2 because I want the cabin to myself. Yes, one person doesn't eat as much as two, but I presume the ship makes a lot of money selling alcohol, and while I drink quite a lot, not as much as two people. Also their other added charges -- specialty dining, coffees, boutique purchases, etc -- make more money for the ship from two people.

It's interesting. I just tried book a cruise on Royal Caribbean. The base price of one (for an inside) was cheaper than a later date. So I tried booking both to see the price. The more expensive sailing came out cheaper. This is probably an example of the more expensive cruise (while school is out) is being filled up with families of 4 (as someone posted on here) and so now they have to sell some single cabins. It pays to do searches on different dates.

So the difference in price of the two cruises was base price was $850 and would be $1700 for an inside with taxes. The other, the base price was $950 but only $1350 with taxes. So obviously the second cruise works better for me traveling as single.

When you are looking at the cruise prices on Princess' website, just change the number of passengers to "1" and you'll see the prices change immediately.

Silly me. Should have seen that. Thank you!

When this happens, the person who cancels would be refunded if they had travel insurance and it falls under a covered reason for cancellation. If not, they would have to pay for the cruise.

The remaining passenger will be re-fared at the single rate. I believe this is covered in the cruise contract. Since I have traveled with a friend many times, I always look for the clause in my travel insurance that states they cover additional charges incurred when a traveling companion cancels.

I know people talk about this, but I don't know of anyone or read about anyone who it actually happened to. I was booked on a cruise with a friend and she couldn't go due to a family emergency. I went and I was not re-fared. She had non-Princess insurance and got a refund through them. Now, I don't know what would have happened if it was Princess insurance, but I doubt it would have been different. Princess insurance is still handled by a different company.

Couple other things:

I have never had the experience that Pam has had with not getting promos as a solo cruiser. I have to say first, though, that I haven't tried to get a 2 for 1 deal that I recall. As far as I can recall I've always gotten the promo offers of OBC, etc.

I have seen offers where a solo pays more than double occupancy. They wouldn't get my business.

Also, I want to point out that often if you book a cabin at say 150% that you probably won't ever get another drop in price. Double occupancy cabins will drop in price and by their final payment or post-final payment price will likely be the same as what the solo person booked for early on...and maybe less. Sometimes, you do end up with a good deal, though.

I priced the new Koningsdam solo OV cabins for a summer cruise this year and the price was not much less than a regular cabin at 200%. They seem to sell out quickly, they are small and they aren't in a great location, so the extra money for a regular cabin was worth it to me. In the end, I cancelled that cruise and booked a Princess cruise because the promo was much better. And, yes, I got all the promos.

That was my experience, too. I booked a 14-day cruise as a solo for next January during a promo that Princess was running a few months back that included $150 of OBC per person. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my booking showed a $300 OBC. It certainly helped mitigate the sting of the solo supplement.

Yes! Me, too. I have booked 2 cruises this year that offered $300 per balcony cabin per person and I got $600 OBC for each. Add on my future cruise credit, shareholder benefit, loyalty benefit...and it's not a bad deal. ;)

I have cruised solo several times on Princess (as well as some other cruise lines). I have gotten cabins from 130% to 200% with taxes, fees and gratuities for one person. If I book a balcony or mini I've almost always paid 200%. An inside or OV can be less than 200%. These cruises with prices less than 200% are getting fewer and fewer lately. Sometimes, Princess needs to fill up some cabins and will offer an unadvertised sale for solos. Also, if you have a sailing with a lot of children, (think Easter) meaning that many cabins have more than 2 people, Princess will be getting close to their limit of total number of passengers allowed on the ship. They will sell off cabins to solos at a fairly low price to fill them up and not go over their head count limit. I have gotten balcony cabins for less than 200% when this happens. It all comes down to diligent shopping to watch for offers. That said, normally, you will pay 200%.

Great answer.....I have paid anywhere from 150-200%, but as above poster has stated so much is dependent on filling the ship.

Just FYI. I priced out a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity this summer and it was 230%. Booked with Princess at 200 %.

I have never heard of a single supplement going higher than 200%.

Well, now you can say you have, I am leaving on a cruise on Monday with RCI that had me paying more than their best rate for a couple during a sales promo. 200%+$60. Told me flat out since I was a single I could not have the best rate, it was only for couples. As time when on price fluctuated and my cabin rate ended up being less than the sale promo for 2 . I saved $70. it is a 4 day cruise if I had not been alerted by someone on the role call, I would have never got the reduction which included grats. So RCI plays the game if you book several months out and when they want to fill the ship...pricing comes down so yes, I was charged more than 200% when I first booked. Princess has never done that to me, but I have heard others that cannot get certain promos or SBC when booking solo with Princess.

Edited by land lover

Well, now you can say you have, I am leaving on a cruise on Monday with RCI that had me paying more than their best rate for a couple during a sales promo. 200%+$60. Told me flat out since I was a single I could not have the best rate, it was only for couples. As time when on price fluctuated and my cabin rate ended up being less than the sale promo for 2 . I saved $70. it is a 4 day cruise if I had not been alerted by someone on the role call, I would have never got the reduction which included grats. So RCI plays the game if you book several months out and when they want to fill the ship...pricing comes down so yes, I was charged more than 200% when I first booked. Princess has never done that to me, but I have heard others that cannot get certain promos or SBC when booking solo with Princess.

as I said before, i can't speak for Princess (we are on a Princess board), but RCI has always honored any promos for me as a single (including their never ending BOGO Hoax Sale :roll eyes: ) and I am a frequent floater with RCI.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

as I said before, i can't speak for Princess (we are on a Princess board), but RCI has always honored any promos for me as a single (including their never ending BOGO Hoax Sale :roll eyes: ) and I am a frequent floater with RCI.

Lucky u...RCI certainly did not for me..

.......my first cruise with them 1992...and this cruise I am leaving on Monday is my first solo with Royal........ So I can legitimately say RCI charged me more than 200% on my 2016 voyage when I first booked.

Enjoy...L:)ri

Lucky u...RCI certainly did not for me..

.......my first cruise with them 1992...and this cruise I am leaving on Monday is my first solo with Royal........ So I can legitimately say RCI charged me more than 200% on my 2016 voyage when I first booked.

Enjoy...L:)ri

So sorry to hear that :(