Specialty restaurant reservations

Jay Bee

Is there a limit to how many specialty restaurant reservations can be made in MVJ? If so, at a later date or once on board is it possible to book more?

Thanks,

Jan

It depends on the category of your stateroom. Viking spells it out here with an easy-to-read chart of all cabin and category related details.

Is there a limit to how many specialty restaurant reservations can be made in MVJ? If so, at a later date or once on board is it possible to book more?

There's a limit to how many advance reservations you can make, but once on board, we didn't encounter any limit. We booked our allocation of two in advance. On board, we booked two more (one at each restaurant) with no problem. Of course, we had to take the nights/times that were available. And one night, we just walked up to Manfredi's to see if they had space, and there was, so we went in. However, the situation on board was bit unusual. There was a Code Red in progress (outbreak of GI illness). I suspect a number of the reservations were no shows due to people being sick and/or confined to their cabins.

You should keep your options open re dining in Chef's Table. The menu there changes every three nights. You may find that the night you have a reservation, the menu is not to your liking (or be off-limits due to allergies, etc). Once you're on board, you can enquire as to the menus that are scheduled, and than modify your reservations accordingly.

Thank you both for the information.

I looked at the linked page. There was an asterisk behind each restaurant name, yet I saw no explanatory note. I was thinking that the numbers allotted might be dependent on the cruise length. Are they the same no matter what the duration? That doesn't make much sense.

Also, the point about the Chef's Table menu is well taken. At what point do the menus for the entire cruise become available? Only upon boarding? Only a day or two in advance of the dining?

I suppose it makes sense to book blindly and then try to change the date later to fit our preferences.

Jan

Edited by Jay Bee

Thank you both for the information.

I looked at the linked page. There was an asterisk behind each restaurant name, yet I saw no explanatory note. I was thinking that the numbers allotted might be dependent on the cruise length. Are they the same no matter what the duration? That doesn't make much sense.

Hmm. Curioser and curioser! I couldn't find it either. It may have to do with duration or it may be that the caveat is out of date and they just removed the caveat but didn't remove the asterisks for whatever reason.

Also, the point about the Chef's Table menu is well taken. At what point do the menus for the entire cruise become available? Only upon boarding? Only a day or two in advance of the dining?

I suppose it makes sense to book blindly and then try to change the date later to fit our preferences.

Jan

My understanding (from talking to the chef) is that the CT menus change regularly on a three-day rotation. I think there are five in total, though I could be wrong. I don't know of any way to determine the schedule in advance (i.e. through MVJ). Once you're on board, go to the Booking Desk (on the Star, it's at the right-hand entrance to World Cafe) and ask. Or enquire at the CT entrance on Deck 1. There's a big touch-sensitive display that shows the current menu. I don't remember if it displayed the upcoming menus as well.

My understanding (from talking to the chef) is that the CT menus change regularly on a three-day rotation. I think there are five in total, though I could be wrong. I don't know of any way to determine the schedule in advance (i.e. through MVJ). Once you're on board, go to the Booking Desk (on the Star, it's at the right-hand entrance to World Cafe) and ask. Or enquire at the CT entrance on Deck 1. There's a big touch-sensitive display that shows the current menu. I don't remember if it displayed the upcoming menus as well.

Thank you!

If someone could post the different CT menu themes with opinions, that would be great!

We kept our two menus from CT. Both were quite good.

Sweet and Salty

- tomato/watercress gazpacho

- grilled scallop

- prosciutto & melon granita

- veal tenderloin

- strawberry/basil delight.

Asian Panorama

- chilled king crab

- lobster/chicken shu mai (a dumpling)

- lemongrass & red chili granita

- peking duck

- asian trilogy: yuzu creme brulée, green tea cheesecake, chocolate banana spring roll! Very tasty!

Each course is served with a paired wine. For a $25 upcharge, the pairings are 'premium' wines, served in proper wine glasses. Otherwise, the wines were served in ordinary water glasses, which I thought was incongruent with the ambiance and the menu.

The decor (pictures) on the walls of CT on the Star are quite unusual.

Thanks,

Jan

In a nutshell, yes on the day.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

The maître d's are very accommodating.

We are all good to go for our specialty restaurants so far. The 8 of us have booked for both places and all four couples got what they want on the dates and times we wanted.

My question--especially of the past cruisers on Viking Star-- is what to you do to dine at the main restaurant? I found a link online from Viking stating we could book one of the following--

1. early seating at 6:30 each night with same waiter and table

2. Late seating at 8:30 each night with same waiter and table

or 3. Open seating anytime between 6:30-10:30

If you select early or late seating you can always go for open seating.

Is this still true? I am hearing from our TA and Viking replies to him that you look each night right early in the morning or right before dinner time of your choice at the restaurant and select dining for two , or with a larger group.

^^

On the Star last month, we never made any reservations at the MDR. Just walked up, typically between 6 and 7pm, and got seated. Sometimes, there was a bit of a line, esp if a port talk or other presentation in the Theatre had just concluded. To minimize the wait, we would sit near the back of the Theatre, and then proceed directly to the MDR when the talks concluded.

We were usually a party of 4, but sometimes one or two other couples joined us.

There are some larger tables right at the back of the MDR, with very nice views to the stern and port side. We usually ate at table 102 (seats 8) or 103 (seats 6). We'd ask the maitre'd (Paul) if we could have our 'regular table' - he was very accomodating.

There's also a large round table right at the back of the MDR, dead center. Seats 12 or maybe more. It's what they use for the "Kitchen Table" event ($200 upcharge). Never saw it occupied. You could probably reserve it if/when your entire group wants to dine together. There are also small private dining rooms in both Manfredi's and Chef Table.

You just show up at the MDR. This is another one of those little "internal systems errors" that Viking has. Whatever you sign up for on MyVikingJourney makes no difference at all, as the MDR on board ship has no automated reservation system. It actually works out fine. We seldom had to wait more than 10 minutes and most times we were seated right away.